What are my dubious chances of getting into a DO school thread ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There, for all you newbies out there wanting to know if you can crack it at the DO level, here is a thread for you. Post here only and answers shall be given.

Help me help you newbies ...

Members don't see this ad.

Although I'm not really a newbie to this thread and forum, I don't want to miss my opportunity to receive feedback from you all. That said, here are my available stats as of now:

Cum. GPA: 3.45
Sci. GPA: 3.35
MCAT: TBD
-Anticipating good LORs from a D.O. I've shadowed, Pre-med. advisor and science faculty member.
-Go to a top-30 university

Extra-curricular stuff:
- Research/evaluate public health smoking cessation program
-Research assistant for anthropology professor (part-time job, 4 years)
-Upon matriculation, I will have served two AmeriCorps services (a total of 3400 hours of community service w/ American Red Cross, free clinics, public health education)
-Volunteer at the Free Clinic (clinical experience; 1.5 years)
-Alpha Chi Sigma brother (professional chem. fraternity) (2 years)
-Hold an officer's position in AMSA (2 years)
- Dean's List (a couple of semesters)
-Starbucks Design a Tumbler contest winner

I have yet to take the MCAT, but let's say I get a 25+...do you think I have a decent chance?

p.s. I'm officially one of those posters.
p.p.s. I have checked out http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/index.html -- found it very helpful. But nothing beats personal insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I'm not really a newbie to this thread and forum, I don't want to miss my opportunity to receive feedback from you all. That said, here are my available stats as of now:

-Anticipating good LORs from a D.O. I've shadowed, Pre-med. advisor and science faculty member.

Extra-curricular stuff:
-Upon matriculation, I will have served two AmeriCorps services (a total of 3400 hours of community service w/ American Red Cross, free clinics, public health education)

I have yet to take the MCAT, but let's say I get a 25+...do you think I have a decent chance?

p.p.s. I have checked out http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/index.html -- found it very helpful. But nothing beats personal insight.

I'd strive for atleast a 26 or 27; however, a 25 should also suffice. Tell us the schools you wish to apply to.

The schools I will be applying to so far:

OUCOM
LMU-DCOM
LECOM-B
KCOM
WVSOM
PCSOM
maybe VCOM and PCOM

The schools I will be applying to so far:

OUCOM
LMU-DCOM
LECOM-B

KCOM
WVSOM
PCSOM

maybe VCOM and PCOM

Excellent chances to getting into the bolded schools. For the others, you need to apply early.

Overall, apply early and you should be accepted as long as you don't stutter in your interviews.

Hmm...I am scheduled to take the MCAT in June, but will probably wait until July 24th...do you think receiving my scores in August will still qualify me as an early applicant?...providing everything is submitted by then.

thanks

Extra-curricular stuff:

Nice. Your UGPA is fine; could be a little higher, but if your trends are good, then you should not get a red flag in that area. Your EC's are pretty good, too; again, you shouldn't have a problem as you have ample clinical experience and community service. Make sure to shadow a DO and get a strong LOR from him/her; this will provide you with the most options in applying and further strengthen your application. I pretty much always say this, but it's pretty much always true and beneficial: apply EARLY and broadly. If money isn't too much of a problem, apply to all the schools in which you find yourself in alignment with. It's good to have choices.

Also, know your stuff with respect to the history of Osteopathic Medicine and why you want to be a DO. Research all the schools you want to attend and know why you want to go there. Pretty much all the secondary essays are focused on, "why DO?" and "why [name of school]?" Even if they don't ask you directly, you should try to provide answers to these questions, anyway.

As you probably already guessed, a lot rides on your MCAT score; take a lot of practice tests and learn from your mistakes, don't just study blindly. I'd shoot for 28+, though, instead of 25+, for the most options and the best chances. Shoot, if you score 30+, apply to allopathic schools, too, if you are interested; you may actually have a shot there with an above average MCAT score. It's all about picking the best program, in my opinion, MD or DO.

Overall, apply early and you should be accepted as long as you don't stutter in your interviews.

Agreed.

Hmm...I am scheduled to take the MCAT in June, but will probably wait until July 24th...do you think receiving my scores in August will still qualify me as an early applicant?...providing everything is submitted by then.

thanks

You're pretty much early as long as you get in all your stuff from when the AACOMAS comes out to around early October.

thanks

Submit everything now; don't wait for your MCAT score to arrive to apply. The sooner you are complete at the schools, the sooner you will get an interview, the better your chances.

thanks

Submit your application early. However, they won't look at it until your MCAT score returns. You won't be EARLY, but you'll be earlier than the other newbies who waited to turn in their app once they got their MCAT score back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit your application early. However, they won't look at it until your MCAT score returns. You won't be EARLY, but you'll be earlier than the other newbies who waited to turn in their app once they got their MCAT score back.

By about a month... it takes about a month for them to process your AACOMAS.

By about a month... it takes about a month for them to process your AACOMAS.

Are you questioning the sound advice of submitting your application before the flurry of applications get sent to AACOMAS following the return of the MCAT scores?

Bump for newbies ...

This should be stickied ***

Do you guys think it is worth applying to MSUCOM as an oos-er? Chances of admission obviously low since I am oos and also the tuition is pretty darn high.

Do you guys think it is worth applying to MSUCOM as an oos-er? Chances of admission obviously low since I am oos and also the tuition is pretty darn high.

If your stats are good and you like the area, go for it. However, OOS tuition and all, coupled with the difficulty for OOS applicants to be accepted, I'd rather spend that money towards another school that'd give you a better chance at getting in ... or, use it towards beer. Your pick.

Since we're on the topic of applying early, I figured I would ask...

Would it be more beneficial to apply early with a not so great gpa or wait until my gpa goes up?

Since we're on the topic of applying early, I figured I would ask...

Would it be more beneficial to apply early with a not so great gpa or wait until my gpa goes up?

Apply early regardless. Then, as your new grades come out, send an update to AACOMAS and the schools. It takes a whole semester before you can give proof of improvement in your GPA via the transcript.

Apply early regardless. Then, as your new grades come out, send an update to AACOMAS and the schools. It takes a whole semester before you can give proof of improvement in your GPA via the transcript.

Ok, thanks. I was just worried that they would see my not so great GPA and discount my application immediately before I sent them an update.

Ok, thanks. I was just worried that they would see my not so great GPA and discount my application immediately before I sent them an update.

Better than nothing. Send updates as you can periodically.

Better than nothing. Send updates as you can periodically.

thanks. when i send in my early app, i figure my UGPA to be around 3.2 and sGPA around 2.9 and figure to bring my UGPA up to a 3.3-3.4 and sGPA to around 3.1 senior year.

thanks. when i send in my early app, i figure my UGPA to be around 3.2 and sGPA around 2.9 and figure to bring my UGPA up to a 3.3-3.4 and sGPA to around 3.1 senior year.

Anytime.

Better take Kaplan for the MCAT... They have some really good teachers at the State College center..

I know that Steve Newman was my teacher and he was excellent... I also know this semester Galen Foulke, former USG Pres and creator of UPUA (of which I'm a part...) is also teaching the course but he leaves for PSU HMC in the fall.

Although I filtered through this thread sort of fast I would say never underestimate the power of the MCAT. Sure 25,26,27 could suffice but achieve the highest score possible!!! Give that test everything you have getting a 30+ can you in at a lot of places and give you almost a sure thing at a lot of places.**

**Obv all other factors aside - see -->interviewing ability

Better take Kaplan for the MCAT... They have some really good teachers at the State College center..

I know that Steve Newman was my teacher and he was excellent... I also know this semester Galen Foulke, former USG Pres and creator of UPUA (of which I'm a part...) is also teaching the course but he leaves for PSU HMC in the fall.

thanks i'll definitely look into it. going to start studying on my own this summer with some EK books and Nova Physics

Although I filtered through this thread sort of fast I would say never underestimate the power of the MCAT. Sure 25,26,27 could suffice but achieve the highest score possible!!! Give that test everything you have getting a 30+ can you in at a lot of places and give you almost a sure thing at a lot of places.**

**Obv all other factors aside - see -->interviewing ability

That goes without saying.

Ok my turn I guess.

Cum GPA- 3.65
Science GPA- 3.8 ish
Last MCAT practice test- 27 (took it April 16)

Extra Curriculars

Shadowed an MD at private practice (since 2002)
Volunteer at Emergency Department (only started November 2006)

Division III Baseball (starting shortstop, went to World Series; but only played freshmen year)
YMCA Boys and Girls Club Baseball Instructor

"Some Stupid Stuff here"
Biologoy Club
Pre-Professional Society
Mortar Board
Golden Key Honor Society
Racquetball and Softball Intramurals

I think very good LOR, still havent found a DO one tho, got to get on that.

* Haven't taken Biochem or genetics
* Will be applying the day apps open.
* First choice DO school: PCOM
*Interview: Normal person: I don't stutter ha

Im applying both MD and DO- I feel pretty confident with the DO, but they are getting so damn competitive makes me nervous. Hoping I did well on the mcat you know...

Ok my turn I guess.

Cum GPA- 3.65
Science GPA- 3.8 ish
Last MCAT practice test- 27 (took it April 16)

Extra Curriculars

Shadowed an MD at private practice (since 2002)
Volunteer at Emergency Department (only started November 2006)

Division III Baseball (starting shortstop, went to World Series; but only played freshmen year)
YMCA Boys and Girls Club Baseball Instructor

"Some Stupid Stuff here"
Biologoy Club
Pre-Professional Society
Mortar Board
Golden Key Honor Society
Racquetball and Softball Intramurals

I think very good LOR, still havent found a DO one tho, got to get on that.

* Haven't taken Biochem or genetics
* Will be applying the day apps open.
* First choice DO school: PCOM
*Interview: Normal person: I don't stutter ha

Im applying both MD and DO- I feel pretty confident with the DO, but they are getting so damn competitive makes me nervous. Hoping I did well on the mcat you know...

Apply early and broadly. You are competitive for DO schools and PCOM. For MD schools, you may get into your instate school. Depends totally on where you are from. If you're a Southerner, the Southern MD schools are more lenient towards their instaters with atleast a 27-28 MCAT and that range of GPA you have.

Hey, you were the one that said it was for the newbies. Just makin sure everyone knows its importance.

Duly noted. I had to make a snide remark in this thread somehow ...

**Bump for newbies ...

Yes, apply. The most you lose is an application fee.
I applied to MSU-CHM as an oos-er and they interviewed me.

Yes, different school, different staff, etc... - but the point is, you never know what one school or another will find in your application that they are interested in. You think you're application will be appealing to Schools A, B & C, when in fact, Schools T, X & Y actually want you. Go figure!

Yes, apply. The most you lose is an application fee.
I applied to MSU-CHM as an oos-er and they interviewed me.

Yes, different school, different staff, etc... - but the point is, you never know what one school or another will find in your application that they are interested in. You think you're application will be appealing to Schools A, B & C, when in fact, Schools T, X & Y actually want you. Go figure!

Very much the truth, and I speak from experience.

You think you're application will be appealing to Schools A, B & C, when in fact, Schools T, X & Y actually want you.

I second the above, and I also want to add that the schools you think you like on paper might not be the schools you really like, after you end up interviewing and visiting all your options. In other words, you think schools A, B and C are your top choices pre-interview and are not paying much attention to school Z, but end up absolutely loving school Z above everything else after you interview and visit there. That's all the more reason to apply broadly and to a variety of schools. You never really know.

My turn.

Cum GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 4.0
MCAT -- haven't taken yet. I just took my first practice test last weekend and only scored a 21 (no studying). I plan to sign up for a course though

EC's:
2 years hospital volunteer with loads of patient experience
2 years homeless shelter volunteer
1 year suicide hotline volunteer

Lots of random EC's like I went to Clown College and was a party Clown for kids birthday parties in college, things like that

I'm a non-trad who used to be a middle school teacher

What kind of MCAT would make me competitive Nova, DCOM, UNECOM, and KCOM? My overall GPA is 3.0, but my science is 4.0. Will that carry more weight?

My turn.

Cum GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 4.0
MCAT -- haven't taken yet. I just took my first practice test last weekend and only scored a 21 (no studying). I plan to sign up for a course though

EC's:
2 years hospital volunteer with loads of patient experience
2 years homeless shelter volunteer
1 year suicide hotline volunteer

Lots of random EC's like I went to Clown College and was a party Clown for kids birthday parties in college, things like that

I'm a non-trad who used to be a middle school teacher

What kind of MCAT would make me competitive Nova, DCOM, UNECOM, and KCOM? My overall GPA is 3.0, but my science is 4.0. Will that carry more weight?

Looks like a future Hunter Adams in the making ...

Anyways, you should be competitive if you strive for atleast a 27, but pull for 30+ if possible. your ECs and GPA look fine. Sci GPA is worth more IMO anyways. DCOM and NSU shouldn't be a problem for sure. The other 2, I'm not absolutely sure, but they, too, should be okay as long as you do well on the MCAT.

Shadow a DO.

Looks like a future Hunter Adams in the making ...

Anyways, you should be competitive if you strive for atleast a 27, but pull for 30+ if possible. your ECs and GPA look fine. Sci GPA is worth more IMO anyways. DCOM and NSU shouldn't be a problem for sure. The other 2, I'm not absolutely sure, but they, too, should be okay as long as you do well on the MCAT.

Shadow a DO.

Damn you for telling me I was stating the obvious and using my line later on!!

To continue on with the helping I think so far all of you are looking good for DO schools. Invis is right you want at least a 27 to pretty much guarantee yourself an interview. Especially 9's across, having a very skewed MCAT can hurt so just keep the practice tests going.

Damn you for telling me I was stating the obvious and using my line later on!!

Inviz is right ...

I'm just evil like that ... :smuggrin:

Actually, I noted your comment towards my future advice column. Be proud.

Thanks for the credit in your post.

hi,

I did a big major change after first year ug from philosophy/political science so I didn't take any science courses until the second year.

science GPA 3.36
Overall GPA 3.28

My gpa took a big dive during the 2nd year. After first year it was 3.74 and then the cum after the 2nd year was 3.0. It was a bad year for me. After this year (3rd), it should go somewhere in the high 3.3.

My EC are terrible mostly b/c I joined the game late and had terrible planning at first. The list currently includes many years of high school and college Debate so I have a really good communication and political science/philosophy research background. My interest for school was very poor while I whole heartedly committed to Debate until I switched my major, which I think I have good reasons for doing so.

Research: I moderately enjoy it. I've done an immense amount of hours doing scholarly research for debate which I realize is quite different from scientific research (I enjoy the MCAT verbal passages =D ). I contributed, as a lab group, to identifying a new species doing PCR, etc, that will get published but wont have my specific name on it. I'll have a third-author pub next year (4th yr) for a similar research work and I'm going to do organic chem research work next year that may or may not end up published.

I plan to do as many hours as possible for volunteering and clinical exposure this summer. I'm expecting to get a high 20s, if not low 30s, on the MCATs at the end of May from the practice exams I've been taking. I'm also going to retake a philosophy class which I got a D+ (more disappointment in the class than struggling) in the summer online along with 2 other nonscience courses. I'm also registered to retake gen bio I and II which I got all C+ during my 2nd year. Other than those classes my grades have been B+/A.

Assuming I can get a decent amount of clinical exposure in the summer and an MCAT score around 30, should I apply this summer or take a year off to get more clinical exposure and volunteer hours?

For a year off, which would be more important for me: post-bach/special master's program or clinical exposure and volunteer hours?

thanks!

hi,

I did a big major change after first year ug from philosophy/political science so I didn't take any science courses until the second year.

science GPA 3.36
Overall GPA 3.28

My gpa took a big dive during the 2nd year. After first year it was 3.74 and then the cum after the 2nd year was 3.0. It was a bad year for me. After this year (3rd), it should go somewhere in the high 3.3.

My EC are terrible mostly b/c I joined the game late and had terrible planning at first. The list currently includes many years of high school and college Debate so I have a really good communication and political science/philosophy research background. My interest for school was very poor while I whole heartedly committed to Debate until I switched my major, which I think I have good reasons for doing so.

Research: I moderately enjoy it. I've done an immense amount of hours doing scholarly research for debate which I realize is quite different from scientific research (I enjoy the MCAT verbal passages =D ). I contributed, as a lab group, to identifying a new species doing PCR, etc, that will get published but wont have my specific name on it. I'll have a third-author pub next year (4th yr) for a similar research work and I'm going to do organic chem research work next year that may or may not end up published.

I plan to do as many hours as possible for volunteering and clinical exposure this summer. I'm expecting to get a high 20s, if not low 30s, on the MCATs at the end of May from the practice exams I've been taking. I'm also going to retake a philosophy class which I got a D+ (more disappointment in the class than struggling) in the summer online along with 2 other nonscience courses. I'm also registered to retake gen bio I and II which I got all C+ during my 2nd year. Other than those classes my grades have been B+/A.

Assuming I can get a decent amount of clinical exposure in the summer and an MCAT score around 30, should I apply this summer or take a year off to get more clinical exposure and volunteer hours?

For a year off, which would be more important for me: post-bach/special master's program or clinical exposure and volunteer hours?

thanks!

Re-take the classes that you scored under a C in. Take the MCAT and score upper 20s-30s like you hope. Shadow a DO. Apply early and broadly.

If you do score in the 30s for your MCAT, I think it's safe to say that you won't need to do a SMP (unless you also want to consider MD schools, then yes, do SMP). Clinical experience is important -- use that time to shadow a DO. It is possible to do both SMP and shadow, however, emphasize the SMP moreso. If you do an SMP, you'll need to be very damn close to a 4.0 in order to make any impact. If you don't, then you'll be looked at as incompetent. Okay, maybe not, but you get my drift.

To continue with assistance I will be willing to read PS's if people need help or are wondering how their ideas sound.

Just PM me.

To continue with assistance I will be willing to read PS's if people need help or are wondering how their ideas sound.

Just PM me.

Or, you can post in this thread. All newbies invited.

I second the above, and I also want to add that the schools you think you like on paper might not be the schools you really like, after you end up interviewing and visiting all your options. In other words, you think schools A, B and C are your top choices pre-interview and are not paying much attention to school Z, but end up absolutely loving school Z above everything else after you interview and visit there. That's all the more reason to apply broadly and to a variety of schools. You never really know.

Yah - many people discover these things as they progress in the process, so definitely keep an open mind, with a bit of a "what the heck, why not?" mind set when choosing where to apply. You can always turn a school down AFTER you are accepted. You will never have the chance to turn them down if you don't apply first!

The other thing to keep in mind when choosing schools to apply to is - yes, the school may not be your first choice, but would you rather go there if it's your only option at this time next year, or be facing re-applying at this time next year?

Good luck everyone. :luck:

Figure I'll throw mine in as well..

Forum lurker for 1.5 yrs =),non-trad 26 yrs of age, URM (if it matters).

AAMCOS overall 3.70
AAMCOS sci 3.77
AMCAS overall 3.57
AMCAS bcpm 3.19

practice mcat 30-34 range so far.

Associates in Nuclear Medicine 05, Bachelors in Radiological Science fall 08,

Strong LOR's from 3 DO's, 2 MD's.

-undergrad degree almost all science classes, including 3000/4000 level stuff.
-4 yrs nuclear medicine (approx 9000 hrs) clinical.
-3000+ hrs in nuclear cardiology.
-1 yr ER volunteer, outpatient/free clinic volunteer
-200+ hrs of DO shadowing, work with many DO's currently.
-ACLS, BLS, PALS cert
-Medical dosimetry training, 1000 hrs, PET/CT training 700hrs.
-Was Chief of nuclear medicine at DO residency hospital for 2 yrs.
-On picc line team at hosp.
-have always worked 60+ hrs a week and attended school fulltime.
-other EC's:
Did telephone customer service,
volunteer at Local Aquarium, did some biology/marine work
for local shops/state aquarium etc.

Now the weak points.

No real research.
did over 140 credits at Comm. college where I did most pre-reqs and all of nuclear medicine.
F-ed up my first year because couldn't attend class and stay alive at job at that time. had to learn balance. Result in 5 f's all retaken with decent grades.
Will graduate with approx 50 credits from State U, as completion of my B.S.

AMCAS factored in my repeats and as a result low BCPM gpa, also AAMCOS counts my Rad sci. courses as science, whereas AAMCAS counted only a few as bcpm.

Should I even bother applying to state MD schools? or stick with Osteo only?

OVERALL GPA: 3.47
SCIENCE GPA: 3.6
MCAT: TBA

EXPERIENCE:

-Early exposure to Osteopathic medicine and manipulation through grandpa who had DO practice
-At age 16 started as caregiver for elderly
-At age 18 became med aide-->Thousands of patient care hours as Medaide in an assisted living facility with 80+ residents dealing with countless emergencies
-Mentor in summer program for high school kids interested in medicine at JHU and UCLA
-100+ hours of research in Emergency room research project at well known teaching hospital/medical school
-Competitive figure skater for 10yrs; now coach in spare time
-shadowed DO, LOR
-shadowed MD, LOR
-studied abroad for a term
-worked at hospital for a year in ER and Radiology

SCHOOLS:

PCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
KCUMB-COM
MSU COM
NSU COM
NYCOM
OSU COM
OU COM
WVSOM
TCOM

basically everywhere that is older

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES>

Figure I'll throw mine in as well..

Forum lurker for 1.5 yrs =),non-trad 26 yrs of age, URM (if it matters).

AAMCOS overall 3.70
AAMCOS sci 3.77
AMCAS overall 3.57
AMCAS bcpm 3.19

practice mcat 30-34 range so far.

Associates in Nuclear Medicine 05, Bachelors in Radiological Science fall 08,

Strong LOR's from 3 DO's, 2 MD's.

-undergrad degree almost all science classes, including 3000/4000 level stuff.
-4 yrs nuclear medicine (approx 9000 hrs) clinical.
-3000+ hrs in nuclear cardiology.
-1 yr ER volunteer, outpatient/free clinic volunteer
-200+ hrs of DO shadowing, work with many DO's currently.
-ACLS, BLS, PALS cert
-Medical dosimetry training, 1000 hrs, PET/CT training 700hrs.
-Was Chief of nuclear medicine at DO residency hospital for 2 yrs.
-On picc line team at hosp.
-have always worked 60+ hrs a week and attended school fulltime.
-other EC's:
Did telephone customer service,
volunteer at Local Aquarium, did some biology/marine work
for local shops/state aquarium etc.

Now the weak points.

No real research.
did over 140 credits at Comm. college where I did most pre-reqs and all of nuclear medicine.
F-ed up my first year because couldn't attend class and stay alive at job at that time. had to learn balance. Result in 5 f's all retaken with decent grades.
Will graduate with approx 50 credits from State U, as completion of my B.S.

AMCAS factored in my repeats and as a result low BCPM gpa, also AAMCOS counts my Rad sci. courses as science, whereas AAMCAS counted only a few as bcpm.

Should I even bother applying to state MD schools? or stick with Osteo only?

MD's going to be a little harder since your stats are only average (science below) for them, but you should give it a chance if you're interested in MD. Your stats for DO school are great. You need to start getting LOR's from science professors. While it's great that you have 5 MD/DO LORs, you will only be able to send 1 or 2 of those to each school.

OVERALL GPA: 3.47
SCIENCE GPA: 3.6
MCAT: TBA

EXPERIENCE:

-Early exposure to Osteopathic medicine and manipulation through grandpa who had DO practice
-At age 16 started as caregiver for elderly
-At age 18 became med aide-->Thousands of patient care hours as Medaide in an assisted living facility with 80+ residents dealing with countless emergencies
-Mentor in summer program for high school kids interested in medicine at JHU and UCLA
-100+ hours of research in Emergency room research project at well known teaching hospital/medical school
-Competitive figure skater for 10yrs; now coach in spare time
-shadowed DO, LOR
-shadowed MD, LOR
-studied abroad for a term
-worked at hospital for a year in ER and Radiology

SCHOOLS:

PCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
KCUMB-COM
MSU COM
NSU COM
NYCOM
OSU COM
OU COM
WVSOM
TCOM

basically everywhere that is older

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES>

Looks good. Make sure your MCAT is great, b/c the older schools are more competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.