What are your impressions of Nova Southeastern? What about its rep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidcanada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted at Nova, BU, and Detroit Mercy. I would appreciate your thoughts on any of these schools.

GPA: 3.38
DAT: 22/21/16

Thanks so much,

Ro

Members don't see this ad.

Well I was accepted to Nova, BU, and Temple. I choose to go to Nova because of location, tuition (cheaper), and how clean and technologically advanced the school was. I'm not sure what exactly your question is, but these were a few of my deciding factors....hopefully this helps???

You'll get a good education no matter where you go. I chose between BU, Tufts and Nova. No question, the big decision was between Tufts and Nova. It was choice between what lifestyle I wanted to lead. I mean, you have to pick which school suits you personally. You'll be a dentist no matter where you go (as long as you pass the boards). Just think how lucky you are that you get to make such a decision.
Jessica
btw-I think Nova has a pretty good reputation. I think a lot matters what you put into your education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to go to UPenn bec Nova is too new. They still have a few things to work out...like any new school. I did some searchs at dental town and found the following comments from two different people in two different states:

"I've had associates from several different schools. While I noticed similarities from graduates of one (Nova), the associates skill and production were all over the board, with the "prestige" and cost of the school irrelevant. My current associate, a Uof F grad, is way better than my last associate from Nova, where tuition is triple."

"I would put Nova last of all the schools listed. but if thats the only place you get in then go there."

I hope you didn't turn Nova down because of a couple posts on DT. I beleive clinical performance is probably more related to personal dedication and ability rather than institution. But what do I know?

I believe in order to success in dental clinic, there are two important factors:

1. Classmates can learn from each other.
2. Professors are willing to help you.

When I interviewed at Nova, I felt all three D1 students in my groups were really happy at the school and felt they can get help easily. During the interviews, I had good time having comfortable conversations with two professors. They told me they really wanted to help any student that he/she needs help.

I interviewed many schools. However, Nova professors showed their enthusiastic to help students. If it is not my father's suggestion and the fact that I live in CA (I will practice here), I would choose Nova - cheapter, weather, facility, and patient pool.

Dental 2008:

Don't let couple of bad reviews of Nova Dental graduates out there make an impression of what Nova dental is all about. I say this for the following reasons:

1) those practicing dentists out there are from the first or second graduating class of Nova Dental. 1st graduating class of Nova Dental are most International dentists who did Advance Standing education here at Nova.

2) those practicing dentists graduated from Nova Dental that received bad reviews may be last of their class.

3) those practicing dentists graduated from Nova Dental that received bad reviews are only one or two references that you just happen to see on DentalTown.

4) Clinical exposure and training here at Nova Dental is there, but it's up to you as a student to see how much you can get out of it (how competent you are). Sure every student must satisfy or fulfill the graduation requirements, but if you're a quick learner and strive to be efficient, then you will experience much more clinical procedures than your other classmates. Which means you'll be that much more experiences/exposed. Remember, everyone learns differently.

5) When I interviewed here at Nova Dental back in March 2002, I had a 4th dental student told me straight out that "DO NOT come to Nova Dental, because he didn't enjoy it!" I then later found out the reasons why he had stated that. The reasons were the fact that Nova Dental was the only school that he had gotten in and also clinical experiences back then (he was a member of the first class at Nova Dental) was semi-unorganized.

Nova Dental is new, does have its "kinks", but I can assure you this, "kinks" exists in every dental school in the U.S. and Nova Dental has really evolved positively in both dental education as well as in training/producing competent dental medical doctors.

I came to Nova Dental not because of what other people have told me (positively or negatively) nor because it was the only dental school that I received an acceptance to, I came to Nova Dental because I am confident that with what it has potentially to offer me and to my dental education, I will become a competent dental medical doctor. What I will experience in the clinic in the next two years here at Nova Dental WILL BE completely 100% different from what that 4th year dental student had experienced and told me back in March 2002. He was in the first class at Nova Dental and I know things are different back then.

So for you as a Predental student who had just gotten accepted to dental schools (as well as to the rest of you Predents who are applying), you should not base your dental school selection decision on what other dentists out there are saying, especially on their "subjective" criticisms on who they think is a better dentist amongst various US dental school graduates.

I agree completely. By the time we enter the clinics the school will have another 2 years to fix their little bugs. By the time we graduate the school will be another 4 years older with 4 more years of experience. If their entering class has an average GPA 3.4 and DAT 18 NOW just imagine how hard it will be to get an acceptance there after 4 years. I have no doubts that I am attending Nova 2008

Thanks Andy. I think I talked to you during my tour of Nova. I mentioned how helpful you were in my interview. I actually want to attend Nova pretty bad. I'm trying to build a strong case when I tell my parents that I want go to school on the oppsite end of the east coast. I got into schools much closer but I think I'll be happiest at Nova. Thanks for your insight. If you have any other thoughts about why Nova is a great school let me know.

I know a guy who graduated in the first dental class at Nova. He loved it. He was the class president. Now, he's doing a postgraduate program in periodontics (I believe) in North Carolina. He loved his time at Nova and highly recommended the school to me.

I think this shows that you gain from your education what you put into it. If you want to be a good dentist, you will work hard to gain the proper skills no matter where you go. If Nova is what you really want, then choose Nova. (I guess I am biased because I chose Nova.) Good luck with your decision.

Jessica