MD & DO What can I do to improve? #Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernoulli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
I screwed up pretty badly in my first few years of undergrad. I made a few less than stellar grades in Chemistry 1 (D+), Physics 1 (D+), and Calculus (D) at my first university. Lots of withdrawals in the first two years post-high school. I have retaken coursework in Chemistry (A) and Calculus (B) to improve my grades. I'm planning to retake Physics 1 to show a better grade even though grade replacement is no longer a thing.

I transferred to a new university and changed my major to Computer Science. I graduated there in two years with a near 4.0 over the last 60–70 hours of undergraduate work (Most of which is non-BCPM), but it did take me six years overall (First uni + second uni) to obtain my BS due to switching my major so often.

Demographics:
  • I'm ORM
  • Older than typical matriculant
  • Grew up in a medically undeserved area
  • First generation college student
  • Technically qualify as disadvantaged (Socioeconomic), but I'm not sure I want to apply with this status

Academics:
I’m pretty sure my chances for MD are shot, but I have calculated my GPA for DO to be:
  • 3.56 Overall
  • 3.55 Science
I have a pretty significant upward trend in GPA.

Clinical:
I have about 100 shadowing hours (All MD in Anesthesiology, General Surgery, and Vascular Surgery), and I am going to be volunteering at a hospital in Washington state for the next year while I work (Four hours per week).

Post-bac work:
I will be taking the last of my prerequisites at UW part-time (O-Chem, Biochem, and second semester of Physics)

MCAT:
Haven't taken yet, but I was scoring a consistent 10+ on PS and VR (Old MCAT) on practice exams. I still need some courses before I want to begin tackling the new MCAT. Assume 500-510 on new MCAT.

ECs, Hobbies and Work Experience:
  • Developing software/apps for my portfolio - Two years
  • Studying Guitar - Ten years
  • Tutoring in pre-calculus and calculus - Two years
  • Software Engineering Internship at Amazon - 12 weeks
  • Full time position at Amazon as a software engineer - One year+ at time of application

Questions:
Outside of studying to rock the MCAT and great grades in my courses at UW, what else can I do to improve my chances? Basically, what am I missing besides publications/research?

Members don't see this ad.

If possible, get DO letters and leadership experience, and read the ebook by Adrian Aaron for some really important info on how to get a leg up. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If possible, get DO letters and leadership experience, and read the ebook by Adrian Aaron for some really important info on how to get a leg up. Good luck!

Should the leadership specifically be medical related? I've been the project lead on a few academic software projects, and I was responsible for the design and development of an entire system during my internship. Would these sort of experiences be worth anything or should I look for something with a more official leadership position, such as leading a club/organization?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Should the leadership specifically be medical related? I've been the project lead on a few academic software projects, and I was responsible for the design and development of an entire system during my internship. Would these sort of experiences be worth anything or should I look for something with a more official leadership position, such as leading a club/organization?

Medically related would be preferred but not required. if u can be the president or founder of a club that would be helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile