MD & DO What can I do to improve? #Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bernoulli

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Background:
I screwed up pretty badly in my first few years of undergrad. I made a few less than stellar grades in Chemistry 1 (D+), Physics 1 (D+), and Calculus (D) at my first university. Lots of withdrawals in the first two years post-high school. I have retaken coursework in Chemistry (A) and Calculus (B) to improve my grades. I'm planning to retake Physics 1 to show a better grade even though grade replacement is no longer a thing.

I transferred to a new university and changed my major to Computer Science. I graduated there in two years with a near 4.0 over the last 60–70 hours of undergraduate work (Most of which is non-BCPM), but it did take me six years overall (First uni + second uni) to obtain my BS due to switching my major so often.

Demographics:
  • I'm ORM
  • Older than typical matriculant
  • Grew up in a medically undeserved area
  • First generation college student
  • Technically qualify as disadvantaged (Socioeconomic), but I'm not sure I want to apply with this status

Academics:
I’m pretty sure my chances for MD are shot, but I have calculated my GPA for DO to be:
  • 3.56 Overall
  • 3.55 Science
I have a pretty significant upward trend in GPA.

Clinical:
I have about 100 shadowing hours (All MD in Anesthesiology, General Surgery, and Vascular Surgery), and I am going to be volunteering at a hospital in Washington state for the next year while I work (Four hours per week).

Post-bac work:
I will be taking the last of my prerequisites at UW part-time (O-Chem, Biochem, and second semester of Physics)

MCAT:
Haven't taken yet, but I was scoring a consistent 10+ on PS and VR (Old MCAT) on practice exams. I still need some courses before I want to begin tackling the new MCAT. Assume 500-510 on new MCAT.

ECs, Hobbies and Work Experience:
  • Developing software/apps for my portfolio - Two years
  • Studying Guitar - Ten years
  • Tutoring in pre-calculus and calculus - Two years
  • Software Engineering Internship at Amazon - 12 weeks
  • Full time position at Amazon as a software engineer - One year+ at time of application

Questions:
Outside of studying to rock the MCAT and great grades in my courses at UW, what else can I do to improve my chances? Basically, what am I missing besides publications/research?
 
If possible, get DO letters and leadership experience, and read the ebook by Adrian Aaron for some really important info on how to get a leg up. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If possible, get DO letters and leadership experience, and read the ebook by Adrian Aaron for some really important info on how to get a leg up. Good luck!

Should the leadership specifically be medical related? I've been the project lead on a few academic software projects, and I was responsible for the design and development of an entire system during my internship. Would these sort of experiences be worth anything or should I look for something with a more official leadership position, such as leading a club/organization?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Should the leadership specifically be medical related? I've been the project lead on a few academic software projects, and I was responsible for the design and development of an entire system during my internship. Would these sort of experiences be worth anything or should I look for something with a more official leadership position, such as leading a club/organization?

Medically related would be preferred but not required. if u can be the president or founder of a club that would be helpful too.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile