This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXTootsiePopXx

Reaction score
When I went to college, I started out at an online university for two quarters before transferring to an in-person university. I took General Biology I at my online school, but obviously didn't have a lab since the courses were online. My college doesn't require a second semester of general biology for a health sciences degree, but the medical school I'm most interested in does require two semesters of Gen Bio, both with labs. I've taken Microbiology with lab, Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II with labs, Cell Biology with lab, and Medical Genetics (no lab). I'll also be taking biochemistry during my final year (no lab).

I called the admissions office of the medical school I'd most like to attend, and the person I spoke with said that she believes that anything other than General Biology I and General Biology II would be considered "Advanced Biological Sciences" and would therefore not count toward that requirement. Has anybody else had this happen? I really am not looking forward to finding the time to add two labs and a general biology course to my next two semesters or the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s odd that your school doesn’t offer gen bio or some variation of it. That being said, I don’t think the anatomy and physiology courses+lab will satisfy the gen bio requirement. I’d look into taking those courses in a neighboring university if possible.

It’s odd that your school doesn’t offer gen bio or some variation of it. That being said, I don’t think the anatomy and physiology courses+lab will satisfy the gen bio requirement. I’d look into taking those courses in a neighboring university if possible.
My university does offer them, they just aren't required for my health sciences degree. I made the (obviously incorrect) assumption that the more advanced biologies would be suitable in place of the general biologies for med school. I also found out that the online general bio course I did take before transferring to an in-person university will not be counted by my medical school of choice since it was an online course. I hadn't even thought about that. I'll have to plan to take General Biology I and II with labs over my next two semesters. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

My university does offer them, they just aren't required for my health sciences degree. I made the (obviously incorrect) assumption that the more advanced biologies would be suitable in place of the general biologies for med school. I also found out that the online general bio course I did take before transferring to an in-person university will not be counted by my medical school of choice since it was an online course. I hadn't even thought about that. I'll have to plan to take General Biology I and II with labs over my next two semesters. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Ofcourse, glad that I was able to help a little bit. I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming coursework (I think you will do great considering you tackled upper-level coursework) .