What does it take to get a merit scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they look at MCAT? GPA? I'm wondering b/c I interviewed at my in-state school during the first week of interviews & accepted in Oct. Several people who have received acceptances in Oct have been getting scholarships, in-state. My stats are not stellar (about avg really, a little above median for school's GPA & median for MCAT). I was wondering since they were interested in me right off the bat, is there hope for some $$$?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a half tuition scholarship on the basis of, so far as know, just stats. Because this was EDP where there’s not much incentive for the school to give anything since they’re guaranteed to get you as long as they accept you. I’d expect you could get more if you have stats and also something to offer their class mix in terms of diversity of background or experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
@Silso Congrats on your scholarship!

This was regular decision for me.

Also to note is that there seems to be a wide range of time they started sending out scholarship letters. I remember reading that one was several months ago, and now they're starting to send out awards again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have somehow gotten scholarships from the schools I was accepted to (complete surprise to me). It’s not my super high stats, so I think it is more my fit with the school and what they are looking for. I clearly had a polarizing application. The schools that interviewed me, loved me. The other schools wanted nothing to do with me. My sub-3.5 GPA wasn’t helping... My largest scholarship cake from the school I was waitlisted at, so there’s always hope for even the waitlist.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
If I was accepted at a school on October 15th, is it safe to say I won't be getting any money if they haven't offered it by now?

Do they look at MCAT? GPA? I'm wondering b/c I interviewed at my in-state school during the first week of interviews & accepted in Oct. Several people who have received acceptances in Oct have been getting scholarships, in-state. My stats are not stellar (about avg really, a little above median for school's GPA & median for MCAT). I was wondering since they were interested in me right off the bat, is there hope for some $$$?
It honestly depends on the school. Some look at stats, some consider need, some fit, and some all three.

I have somehow gotten scholarships from the schools I was accepted to (complete surprise to me). It’s not my super high stats, so I think it is more my fit with the school and what they are looking for. I clearly had a polarizing application. The schools that interviewed me, loved me. The other schools wanted nothing to do with me. My sub-3.5 GPA wasn’t helping... My largest scholarship cake from the school I was waitlisted at, so there’s always hope for even the waitlist.

I second this. I got scholarships for different things starting in December and then this week got one of my biggest from a school that originally waitlisted me too.. so don't give up hope yet. Also money frees up as people make their decisions so be patient. But yeah, there's not one standard or set of rules for all schools for the money they give.. it depends on the school

Reactions: 1 user
Im an MS2 and got an email randomly a few weeks ago about being awarded a scholarship... better late than never but it is impossible to know how they decide these things.

I have eerily similar stats to DBC03 and was awarded a substantial merit scholarship at one school. I still don't quite know why - I hit it off with the dean of admissions on interview day and I suppose made a good impression. I sense I'm more of an outlier there as far as my experiences so maybe they were trying to get some "diversity" in the class.

If I was accepted at a school on October 15th, is it safe to say I won't be getting any money if they haven't offered it by now?

Many are rolling and some schools are still determining recipients, so hang tight. On the other hand, the rule of thumb is to never expect it. I can confirm you get the email/call when you are least expecting it.

Do you have any other acceptances? Sometimes if you have more than one, SOMs will offer some merit to protect yield.

Those others you know about may have other acceptances

Do you have any other acceptances? Sometimes if you have more than one, SOMs will offer some merit to protect yield.
I have one other. The first accept(Oct 15th) is my state school and the second was from a "better" OOS private school(accepted in february). Haven't heard from either about scholarship.

From what I understand, some schools place a lot of emphasis on the MCAT for merit scholarships

Got a full tuition scholarship at a school where my GPA and MCAT were right at the median. Honestly I had a pretty good well rounded app, but nothing crazy, so it came as a huge surprise to me. I only have 2 acceptances from the 35 schools I applied to (I'm on like 8 WL's though and didn't attend some interviews).

How much you get is a function of how much they want you and there's no way to predict that since schools want people for different reasons. It's all a matter of recruitment. If you want that Olympic athlete from a low SES background who worked his way through college, you're going to have to pay more because everybody wants him. So I guess the best way to make sure you get some sort of "merit" aid is to stand out and be that applicant that everybody wants.

• Wow
No! I got accepted to one in early December, and just recieved a full merit scholarship a few days ago, so there is still hope!!!