What extracurriculars for resume for a bachelor's in public health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budavista1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm a sophomore public health major in New Jersey. I was wondering what most public health majors usually do to supplement their resume. I'm not quite sure what I would like to do after graduation, especially because there's so many different paths I could take with a public health degree. I was also wondering what I could do to get experience in any aspect of public health. I would really like to do something other than volunteering at a hospital (would volunteering at a hospital even matter?). I'm also an EMT and have been volunteering since high school. Any and all help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's okay if you are unsure of what your post-graduation plans are, I only figured mine out two months ago and am in the process of applying for 2017. You are absolutely right by saying there are many different paths to take with a public health degree, so I would explore different facets of the field to supplement the different coursework you will take. Examples include volunteering (hospital, shelter, developing country), being involved in a community service organization or other related organizations on campus, pursuing lab research (if it interests you), and seeking internships either during the semester for academic credit, or during the Summer.

I'd contact your local health department or even check out a nearby city's health department (Philly, New York) for internship opportunities! I completed two public health internships through the City of Philadelphia and that got me a lot of experience in public health from a public sector perspective. A few private companies, especially pharmaceuticals, offer opportunities as well. Nonprofits like the American Red Cross always have internship opportunities, so definitely look at those if you're looking more for a nonprofit perspective. Lastly, consider getting some research experience at your undergraduate institution- public health is a research science, so getting involved in a project is a good way to determine if it's right for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good evening,

I'm a sophomore public health major in New Jersey. I was wondering what most public health majors usually do to supplement their resume. I'm not quite sure what I would like to do after graduation, especially because there's so many different paths I could take with a public health degree. I was also wondering what I could do to get experience in any aspect of public health. I would really like to do something other than volunteering at a hospital (would volunteering at a hospital even matter?). I'm also an EMT and have been volunteering since high school. Any and all help is appreciated!

Continue to volunteer!!! Especially volunteer for health related issues. Us public health associates/professionals couldn't accomplish half the work we do without the help of volunteers. I've been interning at the American Diabetes Association and one of my responsibility was to recruit volunteers. A lot of volunteers.

I applied to University of Virginia School of Medicine MPH program with cGPA: 3.33; sGPA: 3.75; and GRE: too embarrassed to post. But I made up for it with volunteer hours, public health practicum, and study abroad. Granted I was wait listed but I continued to volunteer and interned. I submitted an updated resume along with a letter that reflected my dedication to the field. After three long months, I was accepted into the program.

In brief, volunteering is valued and it goes a long way. Check the diabetes.org website to find volunteer/intern opportunities in NJ

The beauty of a major like public health (which was my major too) is that it's applicable to many, many sectors in the health world. I volunteered in a hospital setting and an HIV clinic, I've have more traditional experiences like working in my county's department of epi, and I've done administrative work in an oral surgeon's office. Right now, I work full time in clinical research. As all over the place as it seems, doing this helped narrow down my focus for my public health degree. I'm applying for genetic counseling programs for the fall but I'm also still interested in clinical research (a lot of which is dealt by Epi people).
My advice is to explore every avenue that interests you. I did everything for at least a semester to really get a feel for it. The public health degree is a true goldmine if you aren't afraid to use it ;)

Continue to volunteer!!! Especially volunteer for health related issues. Us public health associates/professionals couldn't accomplish half the work we do without the help of volunteers. I've been interning at the American Diabetes Association and one of my responsibility was to recruit volunteers. A lot of volunteers.

I applied to University of Virginia School of Medicine MPH program with cGPA: 3.33; sGPA: 3.75; and GRE: too embarrassed to post. But I made up for it with volunteer hours, public health practicum, and study abroad. Granted I was wait listed but I continued to volunteer and interned. I submitted an updated resume along with a letter that reflected my dedication to the field. After three long months, I was accepted into the program.

In brief, volunteering is valued and it goes a long way. Check the diabetes.org website to find volunteer/intern opportunities in NJ

Do you mind sharing you're GRE scores? I'm a terrible standardized test taker, and have been wondering my chances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile