What GRE score is considered safe or excellent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anotherbusybee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I recently took my GRE and am still waiting my "official" report, but the computer gave me V: 164 and Q:160 after my test. After my heartrate slowed back down to normal 🙂p), I checked the GRE concordance chart online and found that these two scores give percentiles of about 94% and 84%, respectively.

However, when I tried cross-checking them with vet schools' published applicant statistics, I see that the conversion from the 800-scale to 170-scale doesn't quite match the chart I have. The percentages are slightly off, too.

So, just to get a holistic consensus, about what would you say are the "safe" ranges for a successful GRE score? And what would be an "excellent" score? For example, what GRE score could "redeem" a less than average GPA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I recently took my GRE and am still waiting my "official" report, but the computer gave me V: 164 and Q:160 after my test. After my heartrate slowed back down to normal 🙂p), I checked the GRE concordance chart online and found that these two scores give percentiles of about 94% and 84%, respectively.

However, when I tried cross-checking them with vet schools' published applicant statistics, I see that the conversion from the 800-scale to 170-scale doesn't quite match the chart I have. The percentages are slightly off, too.

So, just to get a holistic consensus, about what would you say are the "safe" ranges for a successful GRE score? And what would be an "excellent" score? For example, what GRE score could "redeem" a less than average GPA?

Remember it's out of 170

for me I had 86% = 162 for math, 72% = 156 for verbal. It looks like you did ridiculously well in verbal. Congrats.

You will have to wait to see thought b/c it's comparing you to the people who took the test on your test day to account for possible differences in difficulties of tests
 
Depends on the school you're applying to, depends on your GPA, depends on the rest of your app. There is no "safe" when it comes to admissions. I don't mean to be an ass, but I don't think there's a magic number out there.
 
Depends on what you mean by 'safe'.

If you mean "it will get me into vet school", then I'm afraid there is no answer because there is so much more to your application than just the GRE.

If you mean "I don't have to take the GRE again", then I'd say yes. Your scores stand way above the averages.