What if you get arrested during this ongoing protest? Will it hurt our chances at residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Protesting isn’t illegal. In fact it’s protected by the first amendment. There are plenty of doctors and healthcare workers currently peacefully protesting. They aren’t getting arrested.

Doing stupid **** and calling it protesting is not protesting. It’s doing stupid ****. Don’t do stupid **** and you’ll be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Protesting isn’t illegal. In fact it’s protected by the first amendment. There are plenty of doctors and healthcare workers currently peacefully protesting. They aren’t getting arrested.

Doing stupid **** and calling it protesting is not protesting. It’s doing stupid ****. Don’t do stupid **** and you’ll be fine.

I think the fear is that if you are protesting and people around you start doing stupid ****, you might get lumped in and arrested too. But that’s why you leave if people start doing stupid ****, and you just have to be smart about it. Don’t go protest where there are talks about rioting and violence. If people show up that are being obnoxious and aggressive, then peace out.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that there's no chance of being arrested as a peaceful protester and it's honestly pretty disappointing to see that view expressed here given how vast the news coverage has been. As others have already pointed out a CNN crew reporting the news was arrested on live television. Photographers covering the protests in Las Vegas were shoved down, arrested, and charged with misdemeanors. Thousands of protesters were arrested in Los Angeles, most for peaceful acts like being out past curfew (and yes, I do strongly consider that peaceful protest). The OP is asking for honest advice and we should advise them properly. People can talk about the first amendment and what should happen until the cows come home, but that doesn't change the material facts of what's happening.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s just as concerning as the prospect of getting arrested is the idea of a soon-to-be medical school graduate going out of his way to walk in a crowd in the midst of a global pandemic that has taken over 100,000 lives in the US so far. You’re so outraged by the criminal justice system that you’re going to contribute to the viral spread and kill somebody’s grandmother or immunocompromised sibling?

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that there's no chance of being arrested as a peaceful protester
you're arguing against a strawman here.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that there's no chance of being arrested as a peaceful protester and it's honestly pretty disappointing to see that view expressed here given how vast the news coverage has been. As others have already pointed out a CNN crew reporting the news was arrested on live television. Photographers covering the protests in Las Vegas were shoved down, arrested, and charged with misdemeanors. Thousands of protesters were arrested in Los Angeles, most for peaceful acts like being out past curfew (and yes, I do strongly consider that peaceful protest). The OP is asking for honest advice and we should advise them properly. People can talk about the first amendment and what should happen until the cows come home, but that doesn't change the material facts of what's happening.

I think maybe one or two people have said that. The vast majority of the responses are saying that engaging in a peaceful protest is unlikely to get you arrested. Which is true unless it becomes something else, in which case you leave. Most of the responses have been good.

Reactions: 1 user
you're arguing against a strawman here.
I'm really not. Multiple posters have commented something to the effect of "why would you get arrested if you were just peaceful protesting" as if peaceful protesters aren't getting arrested, and implying that anyone who gets arrested isn't a peaceful protester.

I think maybe one or two people have said that. The vast majority of the responses are saying that engaging in a peaceful protest is unlikely to get you arrested. Which is true unless it becomes something else, in which case you leave. Most of the responses have been good.
Definitely most of the responses are good but when you have a thread that like 25ish people have commented on and multiple are saying something that's just simply false I feel like it should be addressed. For the record I'm not really seeing anybody say it's unlikely you'll get arrested, which I agree with. But unlikely does not equal not happening or not a concern, and saying something like "why would you get arrested if you are a peaceful protester" implies all the people who are getting arrested are not peaceful protesters, which is just absolutely not true.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm really not. Multiple posters have commented something to the effect of "why would you get arrested if you were just peaceful protesting" as if peaceful protesters aren't getting arrested, and implying that anyone who gets arrested isn't a peaceful protester.

Definitely most of the responses are good but when you have a thread that like 25ish people have commented on and multiple are saying something that's just simply false I feel like it should be addressed. For the record I'm not really seeing anybody say it's unlikely you'll get arrested, which I agree with. But unlikely does not equal not happening or not a concern, and saying something like "why would you get arrested if you are a peaceful protester" implies all the people who are getting arrested are not peaceful protesters, which is just absolutely not true.

Literally two people said that you won’t get arrested if you are protesting peacefully, and the rest of the posters disagreed with that pretty vehemently. You’re arguing against a straw man because no one is making that argument except for two people who posted throwaway posts that they haven’t even defended.

Literally two people said that you won’t get arrested if you are protesting peacefully, and the rest of the posters disagreed with that pretty vehemently. You’re arguing against a straw man because no one is making that argument except for two people who posted throwaway posts that they haven’t even defended.
Okay, I feel like we're going to be talking in circles but it's not a straw man because I'm arguing against real, non-straw posters who made comments I strongly disagree with. I'm not just inventing things out of thin air. I agree that others (though certainly not the rest) have expressed their disagreement and I am adding my voice as well.

Okay, I feel like we're going to be talking in circles but it's not a straw man because I'm arguing against real, non-straw posters who made comments I strongly disagree with. I'm not just inventing things out of thin air. I agree that others (though certainly not the rest) have expressed their disagreement and I am adding my voice as well.

i am endlessly fascinated by your graceful avatar

Last edited:
  • Haha
“Just follow The Rules and you’ll be fine!” is like the first line in the Middle Class Survival Guide.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users

Okay but your first post about it was that several posters were saying that, which isn’t true. Yes there were two posters who said that, but the whole thread said they were wrong. That’s all I was disagreeing with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why risk it? Is it absolutely essential to be out there holding a sign or can you support the cause in a different way?

Reactions: 2 users
What’s just as concerning as the prospect of getting arrested is the idea of a soon-to-be medical school graduate going out of his way to walk in a crowd in the midst of a global pandemic that has taken over 20,000 lives in the US so far

Try over 100,000 lives in the US.

Reactions: 6 users
I really want to echo this. It should be acknowledged that everyone plays a different role in social change/movement. There are people whose jobs are in activism and in the nonprofit sector and other fields, in which getting arrested for civil disobedience does not pose serious implications.

As a medical student and prospective doctor, you do no good for yourself and the community if you get arrested. There are other things that you are well-positioned to do that will help just as much, if not more, than protesting in situations where you risk arrest. You can donate, you can volunteer (clinically or non), you can facilitate discourse with your classmates and faculty (people with money and who are in positions of power).
We've seen plenty of examples this week in which those assisting peaceful protests with water or medical care have been caught up in confrontations with police.

That said, if someone applying to psychiatry in my program divulged a misdemeanor guilty plea--I don't know, resisting arrest or interfering with a police officer--as a result of something like that, I'd still be very interested in interviewing them, all other things in their app being equal. And hopefully makes for an impassioned personal statement.

Reactions: 4 users
It is still a very conservative world in healthcare and really employment in general. I would hazard to say activism and career building are still mutually exclusive even for good causes. Having a voice is supported in theory, but arrests never are. It will follow you forever. I sound like my parents when I say that, or an unpleasant character from Dead Poet's Society, but it is my immediate impression to respond to your question.

Okay but your first post about it was that several posters were saying that, which isn’t true. Yes there were two posters who said that, but the whole thread said they were wrong. That’s all I was disagreeing with.

To be frank, those posts have many more likes made by people who seem to agree with them. It's strange to argue that just because people aren't vocally saying that they believe peaceful protesters that only a few people actually believe that. Regardless, it's absolutely okay to make a post saying that you're disappointed anyone would believe that, regardless of the number of people who actually do. To quote the original post:

I don't see a condemnation of "multiple people" or "multiple posters" at all - I just see an expression of disappointment that anyone would believe that people who are protesting peacefully wouldn't be arrested in these situations. It was only later that they brought up the fact that at least one person had voiced that opinion in response to being accused of fighting a strawman.

Sorry that I didn't really answer the OPs question with this post, but I think they've gotten their answer that being arrested is something to generally avoid, regardless of whether they're applying to residency or not.

Just my spin, it is boiled down to risk tolerance nature. A typical risk-averse direct BS/MD is less likely to participate vs a guy went through life lessons is highly likely to participate. Overall dialogue is good for a MMI format interview.

PROTESTING IS NOT THE ONLY THING U CAN DO TO HELP PROTESTS. I’ve thought a lot about this over the years as I’ve made the decision to go to medical school, and here are plans I have to avoid arrest but still engage in action:

- participate in child care collectives/help organizers coordinate child care and volunteer nannying for those going onto the front lines
- making meal and safety kits (i.e. food, goggles, gauze) and leaving them around protest areas
- actively coordinate reading groups on anti-racist books amongst other medical students (Medical Apartheid should be required reading tbh)
- research to understand the relationship between the police and whatever healthcare institution I’m working for. Work with communities to dismantle these relationships and build better social infrastructure with entities that are NOT POLICE

I’ve been involved in organizing for a while, and at the end of the day, I’ve decided I will likely never attend a protest again but these other pieces are SO important to me staying involved. I was navigating this in premed years, and I always landed on “don’t go and get yourself arrested, but stay accountable to the cause day in day out in whatever ways possible”

For a large majority of instances of police brutality, there is an emergency physician doing the exam. The relationship between hospitals and police is a part of the problem, own that lane and do good in it.

Last edited:
PROTESTING IS NOT THE ONLY THING U CAN DO TO HELP PROTESTS. I’ve thought a lot about this over the years as I’ve made the decision to go to medical school, and here are plans I have to avoid arrest but still engage in action:

- participate in child care collectives/help organizers coordinate child care and volunteer nannying for those going onto the front lines
- making meal and safety kits (i.e. food, goggles, gauze) and leaving them around protest areas
- actively coordinate reading groups on anti-racist books amongst other medical students (Medical Apartheid should be required reading tbh)
- research to understand the relationship between the police and whatever healthcare institution I’m working for. Work with communities to dismantle these relationships and build better social infrastructure with entities that are NOT POLICE

I’ve been involved in organizing for a while, and at the end of the day, I’ve decided I will likely never attend a protest again but these other pieces are SO important to me staying involved. I was navigating this in premed years, and I always landed on “don’t go and get yourself arrested, but stay accountable to the cause day in day out in whatever ways possible”

For a large majority of instances of police brutality, there is an emergency physician doing the exam. The relationship between hospitals and police is a part of the problem, own that lane and do good in it.

Protesting and get arrested carries same risk as deployed and get injured/disabled/killed to your medical career. So why that risk need to be seen differently by medical system? Just thoughts, I don't have an answer.

Just curious what would happen if you get arrested during this George Floyd protest.

Will you have to report it on your residency application? And will residency programs look at it more favorably or neutral since it was for a social cause?
I can see how it might hurt but also help (people wanting to see changes and a leader)

What do you guys think?
As an employer, if such a question was on an application and you answered no AND you had been arrested, then you lied. If you lied about one thing, that the natural question is what else might you have lied about. Integrity.

Protesting and get arrested carries same risk as deployed and get injured/disabled/killed to your medical career. So why that risk need to be seen differently by medical system? Just thoughts, I don't have an answer.

You can’t see how those things are different?

tl;dr - I think the judgment call is more than just don't do stupid stuff. We're licensed professionals, we're not below the median IQ of society, we expect good judgment exercised in personal conduct as well as at the workplace when exercising rights.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I separate what I am going to write from the sort of behaviors that would ordinarily get you arrested (vandalism, interference or harassment of police or other first responders, assault and battery, arson). Those should get you arrested and charged.

Unfortunately, that is the case in MN. Although the First Amendment clearly allows peaceful assembly, the government does have the right to narrowly interpret that in the interests of public safety. This is the same district where the state police is stupid enough to arrest a CNN crew live on air. It does not mean that there will be charges, but arrest and detainment have been somewhat arbitrary and indiscriminate on the ground. A dispersal order if not followed (and the police have a broad interpretation of that in practice here) could get a protester arrested for unlawful assembly even if otherwise peaceful, and we actually have UMN, HCMC, and other employees who are arrested and charged for this and arrested on failure to comply grounds. Unfair, unwarranted, or not, sorting this out is a mess and if supervision, employees have a right to protest but they do not have an unqualified right to make management take accountability for their choice to protest. How UMN is going to handle this, it probably will be more lenient than the current regulations apply for faculty, trainees, and staff, but there is a process involved.

As for the Civil Service and Uniformed Services, it is conditionally legal to be at a political demonstration in street clothing outside working hours unless directed otherwise. I am aware that the Uniformed Services were specifically directed otherwise in MN and surrounding states (in fact in writing as an order to the point of discipline should they be caught among even the peaceful protesters due to the sensitivities) and the Civil Service for my agency and the Fed Reserve kept it blander and said that they are not to involve themselves in protest violence and they were not to be caught outside of curfew at any protest site even if legally allowed to unless they were commuting to or from official work (health care professionals with a MN license are not subject to curfew, but it was politely pointed out that if the employee was not going to or from work either at the federal facility or another place and were notified by law authorities to explain their presence, they would have to answer us on why they broke curfew or be held accountable for unauthorized presence disruptive to civil order).

The reason though I somewhat disagree is that I dealing with a couple of non-clinical staff who have been arrested and charged with unlawful assembly even though they are on camera protesting peacefully, and I am personally certain they did not resist arrest or were problematic prisoners. As I told them all in writing as the protests were starting, they were free to protest civilly, but if I have to do OPM bureaucracy to deal with the arrests due to status or other considerations, I would not be happy about it. While I do not have any intention of doing anything about this besides warning them not to do this again, some DC or NLR HR punk might feel otherwise in a power trip and that is a slog to fix. I am sure I can get them off this as I doubt the charge would stick, but this is going to cost me about 40 hours of pointless bureaucracy and possibly having to talk to Regional Counsel about getting them off. Now that I had spent a good part of the afternoon having to fill out Suitability and Fitness character forms and getting character testimonies written by some of their peers and people they work with in DC, so that leadership or OPM does not put through an automatic adverse action on them. I will do it out of regard for them and also to keep morale among the rest of my staff, but I certainly am angry that their decisions make me take command responsibility as well as having to clean up the mess bureaucratically for their actions and will let them know it.

For the VA, it is not about what any of us think, it is what the Security and Investigations Center in North Little Rock thinks. If you do get arrested (without or without charge) and it flags through the SIC, you have a long explanation that you have to give to multiple parties and the process is arbitrary and opaque and not worth navigating for most Residency Program Directors or Academic Affilliates. Even if we all think this resident is a superstar, should DC or North Little Rock object, the candidate is finished from a bureaucratic perspective. Bear that in mind if your residency has a mandated VA component. From personal experience as a supervisor, the best of luck convincing your RPD or OAA coordinator to fill out the suitability exception paperwork and argue to the front office to save your position BEFORE you start if you get arrested.

If this was a resident, trainee, or a without-compensation employee, I would do nothing and let HR at whatever level feels like it fill out the automatic Proposed Adverse Actions form and let due process take care of the dirty work and remove them, no questions asked or intervention attempted. I do not care if they were peacefully protesting and the arrest was unfair, they specifically were directed not to get arrested, and I have no time to deal with suitability considerations. It is a judgment issue. If you feel so politically moved to protest, my heart goes out to you. But if you face consequences on the matter, I remind them that it was their decision to exercise their rights, and the consequences are part of their responsibilities. Making those consequences for their choices my problem is something that I think is fair to be angry with. I know I run an adult day care center as a federal supervisor, but there are boundaries to patience. Everyone knows that the police at the MPD act like cops, prospective protesters need to be extra careful and use their heads if they are going to participate.

• Dislike
Just curious what would happen if you get arrested during this George Floyd protest.

Will you have to report it on your residency application? And will residency programs look at it more favorably or neutral since it was for a social cause?
I can see how it might hurt but also help (people wanting to see changes and a leader)

What do you guys think?

1. Make sure you're doing this for the right reason.
2. There are literally hundreds of med students, residents and attendings taking part in protests across the country. That being said, the way that a protest-related arrest will be perceived is going to be unique to the PD, which will likely be influenced by geography
3. Safest way to protest is to do it with a hospital or med-school. Dozens of hospitals in DC, Cali, NY, Fl, have organized protests.
4. More med students and residents are participating than you think. Some folks are risk-averse, so they are not posting it all over social media.
5. Be smart and be safe.

PM if you have additional questions.

As for the Civil Service and Uniformed Services, it is conditionally legal to be at a political demonstration in street clothing outside working hours unless directed otherwise. I am aware that the Uniformed Services were specifically directed otherwise in MN and surrounding states (in fact in writing as an order to the point of discipline should they be caught among even the peaceful protesters due to the sensitivities) and the Civil Service for my agency and the Fed Reserve kept it blander and said that they are not to involve themselves in protest violence and they were not to be caught outside of curfew at any protest site even if legally allowed to unless they were commuting to or from official work (health care professionals with a MN license are not subject to curfew, but it was politely pointed out that if the employee was not going to or from work either at the federal facility or another place and were notified by law authorities to explain their presence, they would have to answer us on why they broke curfew or be held accountable for unauthorized presence disruptive to civil order).

I go to USUHS and we were told while it is within our rights to participate in a protest in civilian clothes and acting not as an agent of the military (meaning don’t speak for the military), if we are caught up in violence or any illegal behavior, there will be consequences. They basically told us to be smart and avoid areas where riots or violence was likely to be and if we want to protest to keep it peaceful and leave if anything looks like it might escalate. This is all standard across the military and I was told the same thing when I was enlisted.

In terms of residencies, agree with it could be an issue in the future but many states allow small offenses to get expunged from the record. Could be worth looking into

Honestly, why risk it? Your value as a medical student is not as a protestor right now. Unless you're in a leadership position, hell-bent on making a change no matter the cost, or a reincarnation of Che Guevera (a medical student too) your value is not "just" another voice in the crowd.

Your value is in what you will become that will be able to affect much greater change than you can probably do now. Don't risk it, there's is a chance you can get innocently swept up in a position you don't want to be in. There are other ways to help than damage the much greater good in the future you can do as a physician, often as a leader in the community.

• Okay...
The vid below has some tips on how to contribute without attending protests (donating, volunteering, etc):

What’s just as concerning as the prospect of getting arrested is the idea of a soon-to-be medical school graduate going out of his way to walk in a crowd in the midst of a global pandemic that has taken over 100,000 lives in the US so far. You’re so outraged by the criminal justice system that you’re going to contribute to the viral spread and kill somebody’s grandmother or immunocompromised sibling?

Lol. I think you missed that memo signed by >1200 "public health professionals" declaring that "white supremacy" outstrips COVID with regard to public health urgency.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 5 users
Lol. I think you missed that memo signed by >1200 "public health professionals" declaring that "white supremacy" outstrips COVID with regard to public health urgency.

The sad irony is that blacks have been shown to be more likely than the general population to develop life-threatening cases of COVID-19 (due to a variety of factors, including higher prevalence of diabetes and hypertension, higher likelihood of having frontline jobs, less access to healthcare due to lower average socioeconomic status, etc.). The protesters who are marching outside in dense crowds shouting “black lives matter!” are effectively serving to end black lives by increasing the viral spread in urban communities.

The number of unarmed black people who have been killed unjustly by police in the past decade is dwarfed by the number of black people who have died from COVID-19 in the past couple of months. SDNers: If human lives, including black lives, really do matter to you, then do the responsible thing and stay home.

White Coats for Black Lives is gaining traction. The hospital I am doing my residency at all participated.

why does this post have 3 inappropriate reactions? I'm curious how exactly this violates the TOS

Because that’s how oppressors operate. You cannot post anything that doesn’t agree with the ideology, much less anything that actually pokes fun at how ridiculous the belief system is. Cancel culture FTW!

• Okay...
  • Dislike
why does this post have 3 inappropriate reactions? I'm curious how exactly this violates the TOS

It obviously doesn’t violate the TOS. People on here regularly abuse the new negative emoji reactions (including the “inappropriate” one) in order to express disdain toward people without actually addressing the content of their posts.

The situation is precisely what I warned everybody about when these idiotic reactions were originally released. They serve to stifle the expression of unpopular or controversial opinions, and they contribute to the sort of toxic groupthink that we often see on Reddit.

• Dislike
It obviously doesn’t violate the TOS. People on here regularly abuse the new negative emoji reactions (including the “inappropriate” one) in order to express disdain toward people without actually addressing the content of their posts.

The situation is precisely what I warned everybody about when these idiotic reactions were originally released. They serve to stifle the expression of unpopular or controversial opinions, and they contribute to the sort of toxic groupthink that we often see on Reddit.

I mean, people telling you your opinion is bad is not, in fact, stifling your expression.

I mean, people telling you your opinion is bad is not, in fact, stifling your expression.

A toxic culture in which random losers label posts they personally dislike with eye-rolls, exclamation points, and thumb-downs, causes people with minority opinions to stay silent—out of a legitimate fear of being mocked with a heap of silly emoji reactions. These reactions deter people from sharing their thoughts, so I would say that they certainly do stifle expression.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
A toxic culture in which random losers label posts they personally dislike with eye-rolls, exclamation points, and thumb-downs, causes people with minority opinions to stay silent—out of a legitimate fear of being mocked with a heap of silly emoji reactions. These reactions deter people from sharing their thoughts, so I would say that they certainly do stifle expression.
Dam, you seem really oppressed maybe you should go protest.

• Haha
Dam, you seem really oppressed maybe you should go protest.

I’m not specifically talking about myself. I’m talking about the culture of this forum and the nature of discussions therein.

Your post completely mischaracterizes what I’ve been saying—but notice how instead of thoughtlessly labeling your post with a thumb-down or eye-roll, I took the time respond to your point. That’s how mature, level-headed people have discussions.

I’m not specifically talking about myself. I’m talking about the culture of this forum and the nature of discussions therein.

Your post completely mischaracterizes what I’ve been saying—but notice how instead of thoughtlessly labeling your post with a thumb-down or eye-roll, I took the time respond to your point. That’s how mature, level-headed people have discussions.
So you're saying that you are more mature and more intelligent than people on this forum because you do not use negative emojis to express your feelings or opinions about someone else's post? If people want to use emojis to express their opinion then let them. Sure I agree that if a person sees a post with a bunch of negative emojis, they might be more inclined to think that post is an unpopular opinion, because, well, it is if the majority assign a negative emoji to it. But it's not like the post is removed... they are still able to express their opinion no matter how unpopular it may be as long as it doesn't violate the TOS.

Like for me, I see nothing wrong with the post below. But others might, and they have the right to express it. Unless you're trying to censor their opinion.

So you're saying that you are more mature and more intelligent than people on this forum because you do not use negative emojis to express your feelings or opinions about someone else's post?

I think most people on this forum refrain from using the negative emoji reactions because they know how juvenile it is to pretend that a round, yellow face with rolled-up eyes can somehow stand in for constructive criticism or thoughtful debate.

• Wow
I think most people on this forum refrain from using the negative emoji reactions because they know how juvenile it is to pretend that a round, yellow face with rolled-up eyes can somehow stand in for constructive criticism or thoughtful debate.

I think some users use it in place of debate because they know they probably can't change the other user's mind, instead of starting a whole debate thread that will eventually end in the thread being locked, "agree to disagree," or banished to the SPF. At least, I use it when I don't feel like going down one of those rabbit holes.

I participated in some of the above activities because I was scared I would've been arrested or caught in a bad situation if I protested peacefully. I ensured my eligibility to continue my medical education while also being able to take a side in today's political matters using some of these methods (making meals, food-bags, safety kits, driving people to protests, etc.).

Although COVID-19 is a frightening disease, I think it lacks insight for someone to basically say “I know your civil rights are important and it sucks George Floyd was murdered, but can’t you wait for an xyz unknown amount of time when it’s more convenient to protest against systemic racism and police violence?” These issues are equally as pressing and pervasive as COVID-19. Especially in light of the increasingly visible and outrageous police violence against not only black individuals but peaceful protestors as well, I think now more than ever is a powerful and necessary time to take a stand.

And also, although there are certainly other ways to show support besides protesting, I ultimately think that the widespread and vocal condemnation (in all 50 states and several countries!!) of George Floyd’s murder in the form of protests has made a huge impact in obtaining justice for Mr. Floyd. And hopefully this will result in legislative change as well!

Last edited:
White Coats for Black Lives is gaining traction. The hospital I am doing my residency at all participated.

The medical school that I’m matriculating to also did a White Coats for Black Lives protest, and so did the medical school in my hometown! :)

The medical school that I’m matriculating to also did a White Coats for Black Lives protest, and so did the medical school in my hometown! :)
My school organized something to meet at the Hahnemann site to do this over the weekend.

Is the inappropriate reaction actually to signify a TOS violation or is it to say something is inappropriate? Those are two separate things.

And I am one of those who clicked it for that particular post because I felt his post was inappropriate. It was mocking those healthcare professionals who chose to protest this issue.

And yet, everyone hits the like and "okay" buttons every day without a second thought. I post a great deal. I also debate a great deal. There comes a point when I feel an emoji can express my disagreement without going 20 rounds. I'm grateful for the button and those who are saved from the pointless 20 rounds that would otherwise ensue are likely grateful for it too.

• Hmm
Status
Not open for further replies.