What if you get arrested during this ongoing protest? Will it hurt our chances at residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the inappropriate reaction actually to signify a TOS violation or is it to say something is inappropriate? Those are two separate things.

And I am one of those who clicked it for that particular post because I felt his post was inappropriate. It was mocking those healthcare professionals who chose to protest this issue.

And yet, everyone hits the like and "okay" buttons every day without a second thought. I post a great deal. I also debate a great deal. There comes a point when I feel an emoji can express my disagreement without going 20 rounds. I'm grateful for the button and those who are saved from the pointless 20 rounds that would otherwise ensue are likely grateful for it too.

Inappropriate has a -1 score, so 3 of them sends a mod report that the post broke TOS. Dislike, angry and okay can express strong disapproval.

It's hazy because flaming/insulting also breaks TOS but i didn't see it so was confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Inappropriate has a -1 score, so 3 of them sends a mod report that the post broke TOS. Dislike, angry and okay can express strong disapproval.

I wonder if people know that. I will amend my reaction to that post to a dislike.

Reactions: 5 users
A toxic culture in which random losers label posts they personally dislike with eye-rolls, exclamation points, and thumb-downs, causes people with minority opinions to stay silent—out of a legitimate fear of being mocked with a heap of silly emoji reactions. These reactions deter people from sharing their thoughts, so I would say that they certainly do stifle expression.
I do all my disapprovals in gif format so...
1591750112356.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As an aside, how many protestors are registered voters? That would be an interesting study someone should do.

Throw in the hashtag activists/virtue signalers as well.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
FWIW, I’m not registered to vote. Until we move away from all or nothing representation and the two party system, I simply refuse as a form of protest. It doesn’t matter anyway. I don’t live in a swing state or tightly contested congressional district. I reserve my right to criticize the left and right as I see fit.

I wonder if people know that. I will amend my reaction to that post to a dislike.
I somehow missed that as well. I only remember giving one post ever an inappropriate reaction though. It deserved it.

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, I’m not registered to vote. Until we move away from all or nothing representation and the two party system, I simply refuse as a form of protest. It doesn’t matter anyway. I don’t live in a swing state or tightly contested congressional district. I reserve my right to criticize the left and right as I see fit.
Well then, the impact of complaining is negligible and you might as well yell at clouds.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I really want to respond to some nonsense but can't get too political or the thread will get shut down.
download.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Perhaps so but my leftiness has to be at least thinly veiled on the premed/medical student forums.

Come on over to the SPF. We welcome a diversity of opinions. Just be prepared to defend them from ridicule

Reactions: 1 user
Come on over to the SPF. We welcome a diversity of opinions. Just be prepared to defend them from ridicule
I've been and still pop in from time to time - I stopped for awhile after someone started a thread with literal fake news that wasn't really scrutinized which I found disappointing. But I do think it's always good to challenge your views and defend them.

Although COVID-19 is a frightening disease, I think it lacks insight for someone to basically say “I know your civil rights are important and it sucks George Floyd was murdered, but can’t you wait for an xyz unknown amount of time when it’s more convenient to protest against systemic racism and police violence?” These issues are equally as pressing and pervasive as COVID-19. Especially in light of the increasingly visible and outrageous police violence against not only black individuals but peaceful protestors as well, I think now more than ever is a powerful and necessary time to take a stand.

And also, although there are certainly other ways to show support besides protesting, I ultimately think that the widespread and vocal condemnation (in all 50 states and several countries!!) of George Floyd’s murder in the form of protests has made a huge impact in obtaining justice for Mr. Floyd. And hopefully this will result in legislative change as well!

Factually speaking, no, police brutality isn’t as pressing of an issue as a global pandemic. The tragic, untimely death of a single individual isn’t as pressing of an issue as a global pandemic. The global pandemic is a much, much, much, much bigger threat to the country (and to the black community) than the issues that people are currently protesting about.

There are hundreds of thousands of active police officers, and there are over 10 million arrests that happen in the US every year (not even including police encounters that don’t lead up to arrests). The number of unarmed black people and unarmed white people who are killed by police—both justifiably and not—is in the low hundreds range every year. Also, if you account for differences in crime rates, blacks are less likely to be killed while unarmed by police than unarmed whites are.

If someone seriously thinks that unjustified police violence is as serious of a threat to American public health as the coronavirus, then their emotions have completely overtaken their sense of reason. Stay home. The virus is highly contagious, and it will eagerly infect even the most “woke” virtue signaling pre-med or med student.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Factually speaking, no, police brutality isn’t as pressing of an issue as a global pandemic. The tragic, untimely death of a single individual (especially a drug-addled violent felon) isn’t as pressing of an issue as a global pandemic. The global pandemic is a much, much, much, much bigger threat to the country (and to the black community) than the issues that people are currently protesting about.

There are hundreds of thousands of active police officers, and there are over 10 million arrests that happen in the US every year (not even including police encounters that don’t lead up to arrests). The number of unarmed black people and unarmed white people who are killed by police—both justifiably and not—is in the low hundreds range every year. Also, if you account for differences in crime rates, blacks are less likely to be killed while unarmed by police than unarmed whites are.

If someone seriously thinks that unjustified police violence is as serious of a threat to American public health as the coronavirus, then their emotions have completely overtaken their sense of reason. Stay home. The virus is highly contagious, and it will eagerly infect even the most “woke” virtue signaling pre-med or med student.

Did you really just imply that George Floyd was a drug-addled violent felon?

You do realize structural and systemic racism is a public health issue that has claimed far more lives than COVID-19 and which pervasively exists in multiple layers of our society and government, not just within law enforcement? When people say Black Lives Matter, they’re not just talking about police brutality. They’re talking about discrimination and inequalities that disproportionately affect black lives in many ways including their jobs, health, safety, or something as simple as going to the grocery store.

I’m not saying COVID-19 isn’t a big issue, because trust me I know. I’m in my gap year right now and I work as a medical assistant in the ICU where we care for COVID-19 patients everyday. I’m just saying people have a right to protest and are justified in doing so. You can disagree and we can just agree to disagree.

Also, if you account for differences in crime rates, blacks are less likely to be killed while unarmed by police than unarmed whites are.

BTW the differences in crime rates between races is related to systemic racism. It still remains that overall unarmed black people are 3.49 times more likely to be shot by police than unarmed whites (from a 2015 study published in PLOS).

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Yes, but when you apply for hospital credentialing, they'll ask about any arrests before conducting their own background check....regardless of conviction. Failure to disclose anything could make a PD drop you. Best bet is to be totally honest and have a good explanation ready.

But isn’t hospital credentialing only after you have finished residency?
How would they know if you disclosed it on your ERAS?
And by that time, 3-7 years would have passed, and the person would have passed all their exams, so why would a hospital even care?

Status
Not open for further replies.