rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Everyone keeps telling me to get my application in as early as possible and I understand this. But how early is still considered early? I am planning on taking my GRE in June and so won't be able to send in my scores until probably the end of June. Would the end of June / beginning of July be considered early still?

RazorDoc2010

Mizzou 2011
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
For me, "early" = 1-2 weeks ahead of time (helps in case something doesn't get where it's supposed to in giving you time to fix it)

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Ahead of time meaning ahead of what? The day the application comes out or send in the app 1-2 weeks before the GRE scores?

About the Ads

Pennymare

Ohio State Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Ahead of time meaning ahead of what? The day the application comes out or send in the app 1-2 weeks before the GRE scores?

It would probably be a good idea to get it in 1-2 weeks early (before the due date) to avoid congestion on VMCAS....If you want it can go in earlier than that, especially since you don't have to wait for your evaluations to get in first.

'Getting it in early' did not seem to be that big of a deal to me. It's important to get started early, so you can be thorough and more confident in your responses. Most people I know started working on it sometime mid-summer and finished it anywhere from September 1 to October 2.

kate_g

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Everyone keeps telling me to get my application in as early as possible and I understand this. But how early is still considered early?
I think some of this advice leaks over from med school... Lots of med schools do rolling admissions, so you actually have a better chance of getting in the earlier you submit your application. I believe vet schools might not even get your application until Oct. 1st, no matter when you hit the "submit" button, so submitting "early" just means a week in advance of the deadline, so you don't run into server slowdown and access problems.

The end of June is, in my opinion, way too early. The application doesn't even open until the end of May. No way you can fill in all your classes and write up good concise summaries of all your activities (which should be as carefully written as your PS, and are harder because of the length limit) in addition to writing your PS and any extra essays you're going to submit (disadvantage, stuff to explain in the "extra explanation" section, etc.).

But I agree that the more useful admonition is to get started early. Look at the application as soon as it comes out to get an idea what you're going to have to write about. I was kind of surprised to find out that even the letter-writers who knew me really well wanted a copy of my personal statement and an informal CV to refer to, so you need to have those ready in time to still give them plenty of time to write the letter. (You don't need to be 100% finished with the ultimate high-polish version of the PS, just have something respectable so they can see how you're presenting yourself.)

ri23

OSU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
The only school that it seems to matter for is MSU. They review applications in batches, so you would be called for an interview earlier if you submitted your application early. You really only need to submit it a week or two early as people have said to avoid congestion.

I second kate_g, for med school it is crucial to get your app in as early as possible, but thats not really important for vet school. good luck!

seaturtlegirl

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
MN DVM c/o 2011!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Don't worry, youthman! I left everything until the last second - quite literally when it came to submitting the VMCAS - I just couldn't get myself to finally click "submit"! Though the others are correct - with Michigan, earlier is better!

I think it is important to get e-lors sent to those writing them as early as you can. Vets and teachers are so busy, give them plenty of time!

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status (Visible)
got it, as soon as the e-lors are available I'll start asking...

Emio

Fudge Bane
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Columbus
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Most were definitely getting at this already... but VMCAS doesn't even begin sending applications to schools until end of September I believe, regardless of when they were submitted.

I'm with RazorDoc... the two weeks that I somehow managed to spare before the deadline was quite a feat! June is too early... you haven't even finished your summer activities... don't you want everything on there that can possibly fit?

conservationgal

WSU DVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Northwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
During the summer, the best thing to do is get all of your evaluation letters taken care of (which IMO is the toughest, most frustrating part) and also start brainstorming what you want to say in your personal statement. As for everything else, it can wait awhile and you can work on it a few minutes a day about a month or two before the due date. This makes it much less overwhelming than trying to do big chunks at a time over a span of several hours. I also agree with everyone else when we say get the application pretty much completed, confirmed, and done about a week before the due date. It saves a lot of stress, believe me!

anc84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I agree with most of the others. I created an account like the day vmcas opened, but then I just worked on small parts early on (like entering in all of my previous semesters of classes and things like that). So, I did it a little at a time and made lists so I wouldn't forget to add any of my experiences. I also asked my evaluators at the very beginning of the summer so that they would have time to think about it and get it done. I didn't actually hit submit until the day before it was due though...although in retrospect, I'd do it earlier because once in a while the server was congested and I got stressed out that I might not get it through after all that work.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.