What is considered laboratory animals?

Started by krist
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krist

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to see if anyone here knows if fish are considered laboratory animals?? I spent a whole semester doing a research project using lots of fish (not under supervision of DVM, but still animal experience) and am debating on whether I should include that under animal experience? Thanks!!
 
If it was under a PhD, it SHOULD count as "veterinary experience" - but might want to double check that.

And yes, as far as I know, fish do count as lab animals if they are used in a research setting (But may not fall under IACUC, I am not sure about that)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I put my fish research under animal experience, then marked "research" and "aquatic" on the VMCAS check-off thingy.

Since they are vertebrates, they are regulated just like mice with IACUC, from what I understand.
 
Yup, all vertebrates are IACUC regulated.
And according to VMCAS it can be considered veterinary experience as long as it was supervised by any health professional, so not necessarily VMD.
 
I guess its the definition of "health professional"...An MD, DO, DVM or the like I would consider a health professional, not a PhD in, say, molecular biology. Not that I respect them less, it's just not what I think they mean when they say health professional. But, to each his own. I'd still put it under research.
 
If it's used in a lab, its a lab animal. However, since I worked with a huge range of species, including more "non-traditional" species, I fit the more unique ones into my descriptions/PS. Fish ARE lab animals, but you would check "lab animals" and "aquatic" or something similar for the description.