Sep 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I'm looking for information on whether various medical schools will view me as in-state or OOS.
I went to high school in Missouri. My parents are divorced and my mom lives and works in California. My dad lives and works in Missouri. I'm now a third year undergrad in California and pay in-state tuition thanks to my mom. When I apply to med school soon will Missouri schools, in particular MU, see me as an in-state applicant thanks to my dad or because I went to high school there? Or will they just label me as OOS because I went to an OOS undergraduate institution?

Thanks for any advice. I researched some on the forums to see if a question like this has ever been posted and all I found was this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-medical-schools-determine-you-are-in-state.255616/
Which really wasn't helpful at all. I'm sorry if a post that answers my question is already out there, I couldn't find it.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Best to call the admissions offices and ask

Reactions: BurghMed

BurghMed

Shaka Bra!
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone, I'm looking for information on whether various medical schools will view me as in-state or OOS.
I went to high school in Missouri. My parents are divorced and my mom lives and works in California. My dad lives and works in Missouri. I'm now a third year undergrad in California and pay in-state tuition thanks to my mom. When I apply to med school soon will Missouri schools, in particular MU, see me as an in-state applicant thanks to my dad or because I went to high school there? Or will they just label me as OOS because I went to an OOS undergraduate institution?

Thanks for any advice. I researched some on the forums to see if a question like this has ever been posted and all I found was this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-medical-schools-determine-you-are-in-state.255616/
Which really wasn't helpful at all. I'm sorry if a post that answers my question is already out there, I couldn't find it.
Yes. Or send an email to the admissions office.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat

Normally, i would say you would be a Missouri resident with strong ties to California, but since your mom's assistance/work allows you to capture in-state tuition at a California school, you would be a California resident with strong ties to Missouri. Funny how that works out.

I can't say about tuition policy for medical schools in Missouri since it's school-specific. And you wouldn't be an ordinary OOS, since strong ties will play a role.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student

Where do you live now. Like where would you list your legal residence on a passport application or if you needed something delivered to you during the summer when you aren't in a dorm? That will help answer your question alot.

FindMeOnTheLinks

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whichever of your parents claims you as dependent on their taxes, that is the state you are a resident of. If both claim you (not sure if that's possible in all states), then pick whichever one you want. If neither claim you, I don't really know. Since you got in state tuition at a Cali school that is likely your residence but for application purposes being a Missouri resident will give you much better odds of getting an acceptance depending on your application.

And of course different schools will classify you differently based on directives from their state government. Best to contact them but what has been posted here is likely what they'll tell you.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
You have two different issues. For purposes of admission you may have more leeway as you can claim significant ties to both CA & MO. However it also depends if/how any charter, statute or policy has specific criteria for IS/OOS. Your are more likely to run into specific criteria for tuition if/when you reach that point.