What is the best material for solely learning the material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm just concerned in this post on what's the best material for learning everything? I've heard kaplan and cliffs ap are good. Is this fine? Other resources that you guys recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

For just straight up learning the material, go with Chad's videos on general chemistry and organic chemistry and supplement the biology section with Feralis biology notes alongside Khan academy and Bozeman science for those topics that are not quite sticking.

Personally, I read Kaplan at night to wind down from a full day of studying. Kaplan was a decent study material, but not as a stand alone product.

Reactions: 1 user
For just straight up learning the material, go with Chad's videos on general chemistry and organic chemistry and supplement the biology section with Feralis biology notes alongside Khan academy and Bozeman science for those topics that are not quite sticking.

Personally, I read Kaplan at night to wind down from a full day of studying. Kaplan was a decent study material, but not as a stand alone product.
I probably won't be able to get chads videos since they only last 30 days. If I used the other material you suggested along with kaplan Is that good?

I probably won't be able to get chads videos since they only last 30 days. If I used the other material you suggested along with kaplan Is that good?

You can purchase 60 and 90 day subscriptions. I highly recommend them because they come with quizzes and 3 practice tests for general and organic chemistry.

As far as Kaplan by itself, I do not recommend. I used it Kaplan the first time I studied and got only 18.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know who or why anybody is saying Kaplan is good. Unless something changed the Kaplan Blue Book is useless and has been for sometime. I get that you want a book that has everything laid out. That's certainly what I thought at the beginning, but I wasted a week of good studying time reading/studying a book that won't help in the slightest when it comes to taking the DAT.

Unless you are already a god at chemistry and ochem, Chad's Videos is a must! and His quizzes are definitely going to prep you for the DAT. I hated spending money on it in the beginning but I never got an A in any chemistry course and ended up with a 20 on gen chem and 22 on ochem just because of chad's videos.

*Chad's bio section is useless, but you don't need to spend money on cliff's AP, Feralis bio notes pretty much consolidates the information of the Bio Section.

Is the Kaplan Blue Book ok for early on study--a year or so before you take the DAT just to give you an idea where you stand, what your weaknesses are and such? Plan on doing all of the rest of the above closer to test time though.

Cliffs AP bio 3rd edition is free here <-- note: my firewall went crazy trying to get here
@8th note that he says learn. There are two components to learning: understanding and remembering. One simply cannot learn to ride a bike by watching some one else ride a bike or perform a recital w/o ever practicing. Cliffs presents bio material in a way that facilitates understanding while feralis', imo, facilitates the remembering part.
Feralis' notes here

What if I used kaplan first to learn the material then I could add in chads videos if need be? I'm really good with bio and orgo, gen Chen I could use some work on. Because I feel like I Would need chads videos to truly get the most out of it. I was planning on getting kaplan book and using that for a while along with dat boot camp for practice tests and dat destroyer for practice problems. And then some crack dat sections as well. And throw in chads videos if I REALLY NEED TO. Is that fine?

What if I used kaplan first to learn the material then I could add in chads videos if need be? I'm really good with bio and orgo, gen Chen I could use some work on. Because I feel like I Would need chads videos to truly get the most out of it. I was planning on getting kaplan book and using that for a while along with dat boot camp for practice tests and dat destroyer for practice problems. And then some crack dat sections as well. And throw in chads videos if I REALLY NEED TO. Is that fine?

This is going to sound rude. Please don't take it as such. Why are you so set Kaplan? By it self, Kaplan fails very quickly, but if you use it as a supplement and read it at night or as another source, it does decent.
With that being said, do whatever works for you. The general consensus at SDN is Chad's videos are stellar and rarely are those videos ever excluded in a person's DAT breakdown. Whatever choose, good luck friend!

This is going to sound rude. Please don't take it as such. Why are you so set Kaplan? By it self, Kaplan fails very quickly, but if you use it as a supplement and read it at night or as another source, it does decent.
With that being said, do whatever works for you. The general consensus at SDN is Chad's videos are stellar and rarely are those videos ever excluded in a person's DAT breakdown. Whatever choose, good luck friend!
I'm more of a person that learns better via books than watching videos. Plus the videos only last a certain amount of time which is what concerns me since I'll bene studying for a while during the semester

I'm more of a person that learns better via books than watching videos. Plus the videos only last a certain amount of time which is what concerns me since I'll bene studying for a while during the semester

lol oh my goodnes just get chads videos!

What's the longest subscription for the videos that I can buy? And should I buy all the sections or just gen Chen/ orgo?

Thanks guys! Damn that's a lot for one month, especially since I'll be studying for a couple months. Money's tight too

If you're that tight on money, you can rush through Chad's chem/ochem section like I just did. 12 hours/day for the past 4 days and I have covered all the sections, and I can choose to unsubscribe to get a full refund since my one week trial hasn't even been used up yet, but I'm going to choose to pay the first $50 since I am very satisfied with his review. :) Can't say I'm not burned up right now though...

If you're that tight on money, you can rush through Chad's chem/ochem section like I just did. 12 hours/day for the past 4 days and I have covered all the sections, and I can choose to unsubscribe to get a full refund since my one week trial hasn't even been used up yet, but I'm going to choose to pay the first $50 since I am very satisfied with his review. :) Can't say I'm not burned up right now though...
Do they still do the free trial?

in only 4 days? Good Lord. lol
Is this including the quizzes?

Do they still do the free trial?

Yep, they still do the one week trial.

in only 4 days? Good Lord. lol
Is this including the quizzes?
I skipped the earlier quizzes for each section, but did all the quizzes once he got to the less basic concepts (takes an extra 10-20 min per section). I can't say the last few days have been fun, but I'm a crammer so I enjoyed how he condensed all the necessary info and left out any extraneous concepts. :)