What is the reapplication process like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigberttt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, my chances of getting into a veterinary school seem bleak and I was wondering what the reapplication process is like. Specifically, I was wondering whether you have to do all the supplement questions again and pay the fees for the supplement applications? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, you repeat the exact same process again and pay all the fees again.

Get file reviews so you know how best to improve your application.

Reactions: 2 users
The only thing you might not have to do again is re-enter your information and experiences into VMCAS (assuming they don't update things again). Everything else, money, supplementals, recommendations, etc. have to be redone/resubmitted and paid for again.

You might not have to resend GRE scores, but you have to check with the school (VMCAS might be taking over the GRE submissions to schools in the future so you might not even be sending any scores to your schools next year).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do file reviews with the schools you applied to this year, if they offer them. They can be tremendously helpful in figuring out how to strengthen your application next time around.

Going to hijack this post with a question:

What happens if your file review comes back and one of the biggest negatives is your GPA. How do you "fix" your application without necessarily fixing the GPA? I'm getting ready to graduate and my GPA isn't stellar so I'm assuming it's going to be the one thing that they say to improve. However, this late in the game even getting a 4.0 raises your total gpa by just a few hundredths. I'm definitely not going to take another 30 credit hours just to raise my GPA by .05-.1. Especially since you either take low level classes and look bad or you take high level classes and risk getting a lower grade(and making things worse).

So what can you do in that situation to make them stop caring about your overall GPA so much?

Reactions: 1 user

What happens if your file review comes back and one of the biggest negatives is your GPA. How do you "fix" your application without necessarily fixing the GPA? I'm getting ready to graduate and my GPA isn't stellar so I'm assuming it's going to be the one thing that they say to improve. However, this late in the game even getting a 4.0 raises your total gpa by just a few hundredths. I'm definitely not going to take another 30 credit hours just to raise my GPA by .05-.1. Especially since you either take low level classes and look bad or you take high level classes and risk getting a lower grade(and making things worse).

So what can you do in that situation to make them stop caring about your overall GPA so much?

This is my first application cycle so take this with a grain of salt, but there are certain schools that emphasize other aspects of the application more or don't even look at cumulative GPA (or care more about last 45 or 30 or some other number). Maybe look into those schools and just apply strategically to your strengths. Realistically, your GPA is what it is at this point and you can't really make schools overlook that if they don't want to.

Reactions: 1 users

You need to be targeting schools that do not as strict of an emphasis on GPA. At this point, if your GPA is an issue then you probably aren't making it into the UC Davis's of the world. Look for places that offer interviews where you can level the playing field or emphasize last 45 if that's a strength for you. Other than that you just have to come to terms with the fact that some doors are going to be shut to you because of your mediocre GPA.

Well, you look at it rationally:

"If GPA is my biggest problem, then my options are a) deal with the GPA, or b) be super outstanding everywhere else."

Then you need to ask yourself how you'd go about doing 'a'. The options are retake some classes, go off and do a Master's, or target schools to which you're applying to make sure that you're evaluated in the way that is most favorable to you. As an example, I failed out of college twice, but because of the way UMN evaluates academics, I was essentially a 4.0 candidate for them.

If you feel like addressing your GPA is going to be too difficult, then you need to be a superstar elsewhere - get 2500 hours of experience to everyone else's 1250. Have a tremendous variety - be able to talk about your time with a LA vet, working in a SA clinic, doing research, volunteering here, there, and everywhere. Write the best PS ever. Get references that basically say "you need to accept this person. they are amazing." And when you get to the interview, you need to absolutely ace it: sharp, cogent answers, delivered in a way that screams "I am a communicator," to every question.

I mean, it really isn't that complicated. To the degree you put yourself in a hole with your GPA, you need to build steps out of that hole and be better than the other candidates in other areas.

And don't discount "getting a 4.0 this late in the game." Many schools look at your last 45 (or so) credit hours as one GPA they calculate.

I don't understand your comment about taking high level classes and risk getting a lower grade. Take high level classes and get an A.... just put in the effort.

The bottom line is that you don't get to make them "not care about" your GPA so much. You actually have to pass vet school, and it's harder than undergrad, so they need to see evidence that gives them some measure of comfort you will be able to do that.

Reactions: 5 users

This is a good question to ask at a file review! You're right that you probably won't be able to boost your cGPA much, but they might have some helpful suggestions. Maybe they want to see you retake some classes, or maybe they'd prefer to see you do well in higher level classes.

I completely agree with @LetItSnow. If one part of your app is bad or mediocre, you need at least one other part to really shine. Make sure you have diverse experiences (ideally both in veterinary/animal experience and something else) and a great PS. You'll need a way to make yourself stand out. Do you have leadership experience you can highlight? What have you done outside of the veterinary field? What will make adcoms choose you over someone else with a higher GPA and more experience? Getting in is definitely about qualifications, but also about selling yourself and branding.

I also agree with him about taking harder classes. Besides that doing well in them will help you get in, it's not like vet school is going to be less time consuming or easier than undergrad. If your study skills need improvement or you have areas of weakness when it comes to science classes, now is the time to fix that.

You need to be targeting schools that do not as strict of an emphasis on GPA. At this point, if your GPA is an issue then you probably aren't making it into the UC Davis's of the world. Look for places that offer interviews where you can level the playing field or emphasize last 45 if that's a strength for you. Other than that you just have to come to terms with the fact that some doors are going to be shut to you because of your mediocre GPA.

Except that UC Davis doesn't look at cumulative GPA :) But I agree with your overall point, depending on how mediocre the GPA is. Especially if tuition is low, I don't see the harm in applying to a couple of schools that do prefer higher stats.

@Baer, I just looked at your posts, and it looks like you applied to two schools and got interviews for both. That's great! Your GPA might not be hurting you as much as you think. There are a number of resources out there on interviewing that may help. For MMI, I found Samir Desai's book to be helpful (can't remember the exact name, but it's easy to find on amazon) and there are a ton of resources online and elsewhere for standard med school interviews, which are pretty similar to ones for vet school.

@Baer, I just looked at your posts, and it looks like you applied to two schools and got interviews for both. That's great! Your GPA might not be hurting you as much as you think. There are a number of resources out there on interviewing that may help. For MMI, I found Samir Desai's book to be helpful (can't remember the exact name, but it's easy to find on amazon) and there are a ton of resources online and elsewhere for standard med school interviews, which are pretty similar to ones for vet school.

I honestly don't know if it's hurting or not. Just looking at things and it's a weak spot for sure. To clarify on the situation: my GPA from my first year of school was 2.5. After that, I left school, was in the military for a bit, and now I'm finally graduating this spring. current GPA now is a ~3.25 and semester averages are around 3.5. I think even most of my VMCAS GPA's were around that point. That cGPA just seems off compared to averages, which is the origin of my worries.

I could take more classes. As I said though, I'm already at the point that even getting 3.7+ in a semester is bringing my GPA up by literally 0.01. Raising that 3.25 to 3.3 would require another 2-4 semesters. That's more debt built up. Another option would be taking classes. Again, more debt and those old grades are still on the transcript. Sure, it'll look good that I showed I improved but it'll always be there. My issue with the hard classes isn't the difficulty. It's the point that realistically a B in vet school isn't going to matter in the real world (especially when schools like VA-MD do pass/fail) but getting a B in undergrad is just going to pull my GPA down more.

It's one of those situations where it's easy to just sit at a keyboard and say " well yea man just keep taking hard classes and get A's so it'll look good". In practice it's a lot more than that.

I honestly don't know if it's hurting or not. Just looking at things and it's a weak spot for sure.

If you got 2 interviews out of 2 applications, it's probably not and you're probably overthinking it. Rock the interviews, have some confidence, and start (now) working on improving your application for next year. That way, if you don't get in you're ahead of the game, and if you do get in, you've put in some extra time in the field building experience and relationships.

It's the point that realistically a B in vet school isn't going to matter in the real world (especially when schools like VA-MD do pass/fail) but getting a B in undergrad is just going to pull my GPA down more.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. It sounds like you're saying that a B in vet school isn't so bad, so why try for an A in undergrad, but that obviously doesn't make sense, so I presume you mean something else. The fact is, you're right, a B in vet school is just fine.

But you aren't in vet school. Your undergrad grades DO matter. So get A's.

It's one of those situations where it's easy to just sit at a keyboard and say " well yea man just keep taking hard classes and get A's so it'll look good". In practice it's a lot more than that.

No, it's really not. People tell themselves that, but virtually everyone who either puts in more time, or adapts their studying, improves their grades (barring circumstances that prevent that from happening). People who just keep banging their head against the wall with mediocre grades are not truly giving it more time or adapting appropriately.

And, I keep seeing you focusing on the cGPA - but other GPAs (pre-reqs only, last 45 credits, etc.) matter, depending on where you're applying. At UMN, for instance, they don't even LOOK at a cGPA - all they care about are pre-reqs and last-45. So every last A you squeak out in your final semesters matters.

But personally if you're sitting on a 3.25gpa with semester 3.5, AND going 2/2 on interviews ... I wouldn't be spending too much time thinking about it. Just finish strong - you'll probably be fine. If not this year then next year.

Not trying to be a jerk; I'm just not sure what you wanted for an answer. Your basic question was "I'm not happy with my GPA, what can I do?" The answer is obvious - you can improve it (keep taking classes), apply strategically (to minimize how much it matters), or make the rest of your application shine brighter than other people. I mean, it really is that simple. What you <can't> do is make it "not matter" like you asked (aside from targeting schools such that their evaluation method favors you as much as possible).

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly don't know if it's hurting or not. Just looking at things and it's a weak spot for sure. To clarify on the situation: my GPA from my first year of school was 2.5. After that, I left school, was in the military for a bit, and now I'm finally graduating this spring. current GPA now is a ~3.25 and semester averages are around 3.5. I think even most of my VMCAS GPA's were around that point. That cGPA just seems off compared to averages, which is the origin of my worries.
It is definitely possible to be accepted to vet school with that low of a cumulative GPA. Heck, my GPA was even lower than yours when I got in. You just need to make up for it in other ways: lots of diverse vet experience, great GRE scores, amazing LORs and PS. Basically everything LIS mentioned in his post. The process really is quite holistic; if your application is particularly weak in one area, then you only benefit by strengthening the others. It isn't like your GPA is so poor that there is no chance---you are in range---but you should take another look at your application as a whole and see if there's any other improvements that may be more feasibly and easily made in your situation.

I could take more classes. As I said though, I'm already at the point that even getting 3.7+ in a semester is bringing my GPA up by literally 0.01. Raising that 3.25 to 3.3 would require another 2-4 semesters. That's more debt built up. Another option would be taking classes. Again, more debt and those old grades are still on the transcript. Sure, it'll look good that I showed I improved but it'll always be there.
Don't discount the impact that that improvement will have. There are several vet schools that weigh last 45 hours GPA very heavily; if you can rock out a 4.0 or close to it for your last semester or two, it will raise your last 45 hours GPA pretty significantly. It might be worth doing a little bit of digging around on SDN and seeing which schools consider it especially heavily. If they're science courses, it will also help out the science GPA. Again, the effects of your improvement during your last few semesters on cumulative GPA may be minimal but they could be substantial on the others. Perhaps look into applying to schools that weigh cumulative GPA less in their admissions formula or not at all (and there are several). The fact that you did receive interviews this cycle is a great sign and tells me that your situation is not at all a hopeless one, if that's any consolation.

I do understand the debt issue, too, as I also had to take out loans for undergrad. You will just have to decide for yourself how much you're willing to invest in improving the GPA, I suppose---no one here can decide that for you.

My issue with the hard classes isn't the difficulty. It's the point that realistically a B in vet school isn't going to matter in the real world (especially when schools like VA-MD do pass/fail) but getting a B in undergrad is just going to pull my GPA down more.
Eh, I think I know what you mean but this isn't a very good excuse.

Vet school and undergrad are entirely different beasts in terms of difficulty/volume/time commitment. There are classes I took last semester in vet school that I would have killed to have earned a B in. You're absolutely right that Bs in vet school are by no means the end of the world (especially if you're not interested in specializing), but it often takes an absolutely tremendous effort to even make that B in many of the classes you'll be taking in vet school. Getting Bs, and even As, in the majority of undergraduate courses that a typical pre-vet will be taking is not nearly as difficult an endeavor. Also keep in mind that admissions committees need to be reasonably convinced that you will be able to handle the curriculum; no, GPA isn't everything, but it is one of the only really objective indicators as to your preparedness for the coursework and ability to work hard. Like LIS mentioned above, for better or worse, undergrad grades do matter.

I had to go through it myself. No, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do but it is very possible. Put in the effort and time that you feel the class will require in order to earn that A, study actively and effectively, and you will most likely do fine. And trust me when I say that it will be easier and far, far more beneficial to figure out how to do this now while in undergrad than it will be in vet school when you're taking 7-10 classes/semester and have multiple tests to prepare for almost every week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Going to chime in here and say that taking low-level classes isn't going to necessarily look bad, and may actually help a ton. I know quite a few people who had a low cGPA but had an outstanding last 45 credit hour GPA who had plenty of interviews and were accepted...and a good portion of those last 45 credit hours were "easy" classes. Many schools that place emphasis on a high last 45 (or 36, depending on the school) do not care what those last 45 credit hours were. They usually calculate your science/pre-req GPA separately of course which may be a weak spot, but don't under estimate the strength of a high last 45 GPA.