What is University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdk5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I surf onto residency pages where you can see where residents of the program went to school, I keep seeing this school:

University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

What is this school? It is not listed in my book of DO schools. When I google it I get some links to Kansas City COM, and some to AT Still Kirksville. Can someone please enlighten me? I would really appreciate it. If it's the former name of a current DO school then I wonder why current residents still have this school name under their information.

Members don't see this ad.

When I surf onto residency pages where you can see where residents of the program went to school, I keep seeing this school:

University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

What is this school? It is not listed in my book of DO schools. When I google it I get some links to Kansas City COM, and some to AT Still Kirksville. Can someone please enlighten me? I would really appreciate it. If it's the former name of a current DO school then I wonder why current residents still have this school name under their information.

I'm pretty sure it is KCUMB's old name

Actually, its DMUCOM's old name. "Des Moines University was founded in 1898 as the Dr. S.S. Still College and Infirmary of Osteopathy & Surgery. It was renamed Still College in 1905 and Des Moines Still College of Osteopathy and Surgery during the 1940s.
In 1958, the institution was renamed the College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery. The first satellite clinic was established in 1963. In 1971, the Dietz Diagnostic Center, then a specialty clinic, began operation as a major outpatient facility. In 1980 the University was renamed University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences with a broadened educational mission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines_University

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this certainly cleared things up. :laugh:

KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine was founded May 19, 1916, as The Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery. In January 1921, the college moved to the Northwest neighborhood, just east of downtown. In November 1970, the name of the college was changed to The Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCCOM), and again in July 1980 to The University of Health Sciences (UHS). In 2004, the name was changed to the current Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.[3]

Wiki for kcumb

interesting. were they branch campuses at one time?

KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine was founded May 19, 1916, as The Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery. In January 1921, the college moved to the Northwest neighborhood, just east of downtown. In November 1970, the name of the college was changed to The Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCCOM), and again in July 1980 to The University of Health Sciences (UHS). In 2004, the name was changed to the current Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences.[3]

Wiki for kcumb

Thanks, that confirms it. It is too bad that I can't apply to KCUMB because I haven't taken biochem or genetics, but I appreciate the clarification just the same. :)

Thanks, that confirms it. It is too bad that I can't apply to KCUMB because I haven't taken biochem or genetics, but I appreciate the clarification just the same. :)
You can still apply, if you are planning on taking the classes as you're applying, or before you begin classes there.