What kinds of free stuff are you getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ayznshorti said:
I'm still stuck on this the OP got a fleece from a school. I don't know whether to be semi impressed with their recruitment efforts or disappointed in how the school is choosing to spend their money.

Usually, the money for recruiting and second looks comes from application fees, not from tuition. Heck, very little of the school's money comes from tuition. All of the research dollars comes from grants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
QofQuimica said:
... And whoever said they didn't get a fleece from U Mich; don't feel bad, I didn't either. I didn't even get a calendar (unless they sent it to my parents. :oops: )
The Michigan calendars went to the parents (and I'm assuming only if you filled out the form on interview day saying that it was ok for them to send stuff to family.)

I haven't heard of anyone else getting a fleece. That seems pretty odd.

Members don't see this ad :)
ayznshorti said:
I'm still stuck on this the OP got a fleece from a school. I don't know whether to be semi impressed with their recruitment efforts or disappointed in how the school is choosing to spend their money.
I think it is a great idea. Michigan is a top school that is competing with other top school for some very selective applicants, many/most of whom will be holding multiple acceptances from great schools. Like it or not, part of a school's ranking and reputation is based on the % of applicants that take their offer of admission.

How much can an off-brand fleece cost relative to tuition or the admissions budget? Pretty much nothing. How much of an impact could a decent UofM fleece have on an applicant who is undecided? Could be significant. I think it is a great idea and, if true, yet another example of how well run Michigan's admissions off is. What makes me mad is....

Where is MY fleece?!? :mad: :laugh:

SailCrazy said:

They sent fleeces out last year to selected accepted applicants. A lot of ppl found out about them on SDN and asked about Dr. Remick/Dr. Ruiz during the chat sessions. It was kind of funny watching Dr. Remick dodge question about what types of applicants received the fleeces during the chats :laugh: .

jeffsleepy said:
Michigan mailed me a fleece as a Christmas present. What about you guys?
Was that last year or this year? :confused: If it was last year that would clear up a lot of confusion.

The Duke frisbee was great! Everyone was fumbling with them all day, trying to figure out how to carry them without dropping, yet still being able to shake hands and hold their info packets!

Pens from UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, and Harvard.

I got the UofMich calendar for my parents, but no fleece (had my mail stopped temporarily two weeks ago, though, so maybe I did).

SailCrazy said:
The Michigan calendars went to the parents (and I'm assuming only if you filled out the form on interview day saying that it was ok for them to send stuff to family.)

I did give them permission to send things to my parents, but they didn't send a calendar to them. Maybe it's just taking longer for things to reach us here in FL. :p Hmm, I think I will go to the next online chat to ask about the fleece. :smuggrin: The only thing I've gotten from them lately is a book of essays written by U Mich students. It's interesting and all, but it ain't no fleece. :D

BTW, Sail, you aren't going to get a fleece because they know they've already got you. ;) I, on the other hand, am still up for grabs. :laugh:

dajimmers said:
The Duke frisbee was great! Everyone was fumbling with them all day, trying to figure out how to carry them without dropping, yet still being able to shake hands and hold their info packets!
Ha ha, I just left mine in the office all day. I wasn't too worried that anyone would try to steal it. ;)

Thundrstorm said:
I got a stress-releif ball at NYU.

:laugh:
... That bodes well...

dajimmers said:

Pens from UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, and Harvard.

I got the UofMich calendar for my parents, but no fleece (had my mail stopped temporarily two weeks ago, though, so maybe I did).

With those stats, interviews, and acceptances, if you get a fleece from UMich then you damn well better send it to someone like me who is sitting in the land of mediocrity.

Just to clarify, the Duke frisbee says, "I interviewed at DukeMed." Apparently, being known as a medical school reject is better than being an undergrad reject. The frisbee actually served as a good icebreaker for my interview pool. The comments ranged from, "This frisbee cost $75 (excluding travel costs)" to "I interviewed at DukeMed and all I got was this lousy frisbee." I think the admissions office was somewhat amused. ;)

QofQuimica said:
USF gave the interviewees a chocolate bar with the school's logo embossed on it. That's still my favorite goodie so far. And whoever said they didn't get a fleece from U Mich; don't feel bad, I didn't either. I didn't even get a calendar (unless they sent it to my parents. :oops: )

The calendar goes to the parent along with a card that says something like, "Happy Holidays, We're so glad your son/daughter is thinking of joining the UMich Med Family..." Smart recruiter, that Michigan...going above our heads to secure our parents' blessing!

teflontess15 said:
Just to clarify, the Duke frisbee says, "I interviewed at DukeMed." Apparently, being known as a medical school reject is better than being an undergrad reject. The frisbee actually served as a good icebreaker for my interview pool. The comments ranged from, "This frisbee cost $75 (excluding travel costs)" to "I interviewed at DukeMed and all I got was this lousy frisbee." I think the admissions office was somewhat amused. ;)

Haha, at my interview, half of us gave our frisbees away to the current Duke Med students b/c we didn't really have room for them in our suitcases and didn't really want to keep them unless we ended up at Duke....

unicorn06 said:
Haha, at my interview, half of us gave our frisbees away to the current Duke Med students b/c we didn't really have room for them in our suitcases and didn't really want to keep them unless we ended up at Duke....

aren't frisbees flat?

:p

QofQuimica said:
Hmm, I think I will go to the next online chat to ask about the fleece. :smuggrin: The only thing I've gotten from them lately is a book of essays written by U Mich students. It's interesting and all, but it ain't no fleece. :D

BTW, Sail, you aren't going to get a fleece because they know they've already got you. ;) I, on the other hand, am still up for grabs. :laugh:

They're giving out essay books too as well as fleeces? !

And the 50 years of Michigan books?! Those were $50 at Border's.

I was accepted back in October and haven't gotten a thing from Michigan, not even a phone call. Maybe it's because I'm a current undergrad so they feel there's no need to show me what Ann Arbor is like or add to my Michigan apparel. It just feels like a messed up a date with a bunch of mixed signals... :(

KevinZ said:
They're giving out essay books too as well as fleeces? !

And the 50 years of Michigan books?! Those were $50 at Border's.

I was accepted back in October and haven't gotten a thing from Michigan, not even a phone call. Maybe it's because I'm a current undergrad so they feel there's no need to show me what Ann Arbor is like or add to my Michigan apparel. It just feels like a messed up a date with a bunch of mixed signals... :(
The essays are not in an actual book. I guess I should have called it a booklet. It has eight essays written by students about their experiences, and then some info and FAQs about the curriculum.