What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just decided to head back to the store where I purchased it and even exchanged it for a new machine. No problems now!:thumbup:

good choice....I would have done the same....if they didn't install the software on there properly...i would wonder what else isn't installed properly...

Members don't see this ad.

here's a copy paste from a recent email ...notice how they say there are stackable coupons! if you're going to jump...now is the time...their memorial day and labor day discounts are the steepest from what I've seen the past 2 years or so

This email is intended for Opt In's of the Lenovo Employee Purchase Program.

mail
mail

Plus use eCoupon USETABLET5for an additional 5% off Tablet notebooks at checkout! eCoupon expires May 26.
mail
mail

Shop today, visit our site at: www.lenovo.com/cpp

Passcode:704919— New!

[FONT=Courier New,Courier][SIZE=+1]Lenovo.com[/SIZE].[SIZE=+1] - 10% off, code: USPSAVEMORENOW[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](repost)[/SIZE]
spacer.gif

Coupon code USPSAVEMORENOW gives 10% off of most configurations, and gives 15% off R series. This coupon is in addition to automatic discounts on their site. Some deals:
  • Thinkpad T Series 14" integrated graphics (the one priced at $850), lowest configuration can be configured to $713 after coupon with this configuration: Core 2 Duo T8100, Windows Vista Home Basic, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, Bluetooth, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Our recommended configuration: Thinkpad T Series 14" at $797 after coupon with this: Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, Windows XP Professional, 14.1" WXGA screen, 1GB of memory in 1 DIMM, 120GB hard drive 5400rpm, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, PC Card Slot and Media Card Slot, no bluetooth, 6-cell battery. It prices to $885, or $797 after coupon.
  • Thinkpad T Series 15" with integrated graphics (the one displayed at $850) in its cheapest configuration for $732 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T8100, Windows Vista Home Basic, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, no bluetooth, 6-cell battery, 1 year warranty. It configures to $814, or $732 after coupon. We recommend "downgrading" to Windows XP Business for a few dollars more and upgrading the hard drive size.
  • Thinkpad X61 12" for $1020, or $918 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T8100, Windows Vista Home Basic, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, no Bluetooth, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty. Does not include an internal CD/DVD drive.
If the coupon fails to give any discount in the cart, try again while makeing sure there are no spaces or extra characters before & after the coupon.
spacer.gif

The T Series or the lightweight X Series are recommended for business use.
spacer.gif

Lenovo gives an option to get Windows XP instead of Vista. If this laptop is meant for business & productivity use, we recommend configuring it with Windows XP for a more stable operating environment.
spacer.gif

If you are confortable following Lenovo's instructions of installing additional memory inside the laptop, you can configure your Lenovo with 1 DIMM module of 1GB, then install your own 1GB DDR2 Laptop Memory in the laptop's second memory slot for $17 after shipping and a rebate.
  • [SIZE=-1]
    spacer.gif
    see other recent deals involving: IBM, computers
    [/SIZE]

Members don't see this ad :)
here's a copy paste from a recent email ...notice how they say there are stackable coupons! if you're going to jump...now is the time...their memorial day and labor day discounts are the steepest from what I've seen the past 2 years or so

This email is intended for Opt In's of the Lenovo Employee Purchase Program.

mail
mail

Plus use eCoupon USETABLET5for an additional 5% off Tablet notebooks at checkout! eCoupon expires May 26.
mail
mail

Shop today, visit our site at: www.lenovo.com/cpp

Passcode:704919— New!

Thanks for the updated info Syncope, your advice has been invaluable!!!

So, i installed the 4 gb of ram from crucial in my x61 and after checking the computer is only reading 2.99. What should i do?
Is there a way to reset or do i send it back to crucial?

Thanks.

So, i installed the 4 gb of ram from crucial in my x61 and after checking the computer is only reading 2.99. What should i do?
Is there a way to reset or do i send it back to crucial?

Thanks.

Do you have Windows Vista 64 bit operating system? If you only have the 32 bit, I think the maximum ram it will read is 3 GB.

Do you have Windows Vista 64 bit operating system? If you only have the 32 bit, I think the maximum ram it will read is 3 GB.

This is correct. I have 4GB, the 32-bit, and it only recognizes 3GB. Nothing to worry about.

The USPSAVEMORENOW code isn't working for me today. I'm trying to buy an x61 tablet. HELP!

For those that have a Lenovo x61 tablet... do you ever have trouble with the screen reading your palm? When I was checking out tablets at Circuit City, the ones I looked at all read my palm and so it was REALLY hard to write on them. Lenovo doesn't have that problem, right?

For those that have a Lenovo x61 tablet... do you ever have trouble with the screen reading your palm? When I was checking out tablets at Circuit City, the ones I looked at all read my palm and so it was REALLY hard to write on them. Lenovo doesn't have that problem, right?

I'm not sure understand your question. Are you saying the palm of your hand is touching the screen and creating problems when you write?

If that is the case, then no, you won't have any problems because the touch screen only picks up input from the special pen.

ETA: I think I found the answer this my question here. Apparently if the pen is close to the screen, it doesn't read anything else. Cool. So nevermind on the following question!

To be more specific, I guess it is the Multi-touch screen that I am worried about. I want to upgrade to that type of screen, but with it having the ablity to read things other than the pen, I am wondering if it will read your palm as you rest your hand on the screen to write. The ones I tested had that problem and the curser got pulled to your palm instead of the pen when you wrote. But I haven't been able to test a Lenovo and I was wondering if they were different.

Hey Ya'll. Lenovo is having an INSTANT 25% off sale which inlcudes the ThinkPad X Series. The sale lasts through May 26. If you're thinking about buying the x61, this is probably the time to buy it. Check it out (it's like $500 dollars off!!). :thumbup:

UPDATE: You can also use this code: USPSAVEMORENOW for an additional 10% off on top of the 25% off. (It works, I tried it already). The code is good through May 26th. Happy shopping!

What kind of RAM is installable in the X61?

*edit* nvm, I found it.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be more specific, I guess it is the Multi-touch screen that I am worried about. I want to upgrade to that type of screen, but with it having the ablity to read things other than the pen, I am wondering if it will read your palm as you rest your hand on the screen to write. The ones I tested had that problem and the curser got pulled to your palm instead of the pen when you wrote. But I haven't been able to test a Lenovo and I was wondering if they were different.

I haven't had that problem at all. The screen doesn't recognize my palm when I write. The touch screen isn't too sensitive. I usually have to use my fingernail to get an accurate and responsive click. Placing your entire palm on the screen just doesn't register.

I've done a hands on comparison...and here are my findings

The reason for me to get a tablet is to take notes on it for school. So, the tablet function was the most important factor. I didn't care about graphic cards or super high speed process or etc......

* The "feel" when writing is far, FAR superior on the Lenovo. On the HP, where the stylus tip touches the screen isn't where inking occurred. For me, this felt very odd and uncomfortable. Lenovo felt as close to using a pen and pencil as one can hope for.

* I know that the Lenovo's stylus is very durable (people have used it for over 2 yrs without a problem) and has the eraser function. HP has the eraser function as well. But, durability is unknown. FYI, Gateway's 14 inch tablet supposedly has a very bad stylus.....it only lasts about 3 months and it's $49 each! Just curious....can we get another WACOM stylus for the Gateway?

*Lenovo has the annoying trackpointer rather than a pad. I don't know about you...but I don't see myself getting used to it. I ALWAYS overshoot where I want to point. HP has a trackpad with scroller (Lenovo has no scroller)

* BUT, THROUGH TODAY (I THINK) OFFICE DEPOT HAS THE HP FOR $599!!!! YOU MUST GO IN THE STORE AND ORDER IT IN ORDER TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS DEAL. It's a killer deal. But, I just don't know if I can get used to the writing feel. With similar specs as the HP, Lenovo costs about $1700.
The rough specs on the HP at this pricing I believe is...
AMD core duo 2.1 GHz
3 Gig memory
160 G 5300 rpm HD
Touch screen + table function.
Bluetooth
811.11 a/b/g but not n (this kinda sucks)

In the end, I may just end up getting the Gateway's new tablet. It's the only one with a 14 inch screen (I like big letters!) But it has a poor stylus....ahhhhh.....I don't know. As someone mentioned previously, there isn't a perfect tablet.

Just wanted to add to the body of knowledge.

Does anyone know how the Gateway's writing feel is like?

I just purchased a Fujitsu 4220 Tablet PC - pretty much standard items and I requested XP as the operating system because the support desk at OSU-CHS explained that the apps for M1/M2 do not run on Vista. Add to the fact the development corp has no intent of making them compatible with Vista and that was all I needed to hear.

The main reason (actually the only real reason) I purchased a Fujitsu is this is what the technical staff at OSU-CHS supports (which includes Toshiba) and they are sold on them. I have found from many years of corporate experience that generally the poor souls that have to support the hardware and software are the most knowledgeable - especially day to day questions and compatibility issues.

Though I have never used a tablet PC before, I must admit I find this one very nice. Even with my rotten handwriting, it appears to recognize. But I can't help but feeling that this might end up being total overkill and a far cheaper machine would have sufficed.;)

Gateway's stylus has no eraser function, I just found out. That is a deal breaker...ahh..I was so close to getting it.

Gateway's stylus has no eraser function, I just found out. That is a deal breaker...ahh..I was so close to getting it.

i'm pretty sure you can get another wacom penabled pen (like the cross one) that does have an eraser to use with the gateway.

just got the lenovo in the mail over a week before it said online :) now im going to see how this writing stuff works!

The tablets seem to be loved by everyone who owns one but the curriculum of my school doesn't make it advantageous to own a tablet after anatomy.

I was considering buying a MacBook, the black one with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and probably upgrading it to 4GB of RAM. Here's the catch, I don't like OS X compared to windows operating systems. I was considering buying the MacBook and running Windows Vista on it. Any thoughts? Opinions?

The tablets seem to be loved by everyone who owns one but the curriculum of my school doesn't make it advantageous to own a tablet after anatomy.

I was considering buying a MacBook, the black one with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and probably upgrading it to 4GB of RAM. Here's the catch, I don't like OS X compared to windows operating systems. I was considering buying the MacBook and running Windows Vista on it. Any thoughts? Opinions?
I say get the MacBook and give OS X a chance go cold turkey without Win for a month and then decide which you want as your primary OS. If you choose OS X you can always have Win running in a virtual machine using either boot camp or VMWare Fusion (I prefer VMware because it doesn't require you to shut down OS X) If you choose win you can always run boot camp and have the machine boot into Win as the default system.

When I switched from Win to OS X back in '02 It took me a month of questioning myself about making a mistake in getting an iBook, once I was comfortable with OS X I hate using Windows and only have VMware just incase I need something that is windows specific although that hasn't happened yet.

If you have questions about OS X or mac's in general PM me and I'll help you to the best of my ability (that is until classes start and then all bet's are off)

When I switched from Win to OS X back in '02 It took me a month of questioning myself about making a mistake in getting an iBook, once I was comfortable with OS X I hate using Windows and only have VMware just incase I need something that is windows specific although that hasn't happened yet.

Besides the fact I'm comfortable with Windows applications and its operation in general, I'm also afraid of compatibility issues and "incase I need something that is windows specific". I know you haven't run into these problems yet but what type of issues can arise?

Also, do you recommend the black MacBook? I'm looking for something portable (preferablly ~13.3") that will give me the most power/fastest experience while running multiple applications and searching the internet etc. etc. Is the black MacBook my best bet or do you have other recommendations? The sleek and attractive design is a nice added bonus.

So, from what I know, if you run Windows on a MacBook, you're going to either be emulating it most of the time, right? Macs are made for OS X in mind, so I still don't see why you would get one beyond the aesthetics, since it will probably cost a little more too.

Is the look of the Macbook very important to you or just the performance?

Just doesn't make any sense to me. Besides, everyone knows Macs suck and are only in existence because of iPod success - and because Bill Gates says it's OK when pressured by a court of law. :smuggrin:

I have not talked to one medical school student that owns a tablet that actually uses that function. Seems like a waste to me. If anything put the money into a better laptop and get a cheapo stylus pad to write on.

syncope82 do you know of any other deals on top of the cpp? I've tried applying some i've found with the cpp and they just dont work. For example I tried most of these (http://www.couponheaven.com/merchant.cfm/thinkpad) for the x61t and it said the coupons are not valid even though they haven't expired yet. Any help is appreciated.

After about three weeks now - this old geezer loves his Lenovo tablet! Setting up OneNote has taken me time to get it how I really want and to the point where I think I will be able to use it easily in class. - Just posting so the over 45 crowd won't feel totally intimidated by using a tablet.

I read some comments about hoirribe customer support from Lenovo. Anyone wanna share?

I'm sorry..but I don't

however, go to www.slickdeals.net and www.fatwallet.com and search for "lenovo coupon" by Title only and you just have to search every day.....

here is a URL with the search term for www.slickdeals.net
http://forums.slickdeals.net/search.php?searchid=32622928

also on slickdeals.net at http://forums.slickdeals.net/dealalerts.php?do=viewdealalerts , you can set up deal alerts...so type in "lenovo coupon" for title and it will email you as soon as someone starts a thread with those key words in it

hope this helps

I'm sorry..but I don't

however, go to www.slickdeals.net and www.fatwallet.com and search for "lenovo coupon" by Title only and you just have to search every day.....

here is a URL with the search term for www.slickdeals.net
http://forums.slickdeals.net/search.php?searchid=32622928

also on slickdeals.net at http://forums.slickdeals.net/dealalerts.php?do=viewdealalerts , you can set up deal alerts...so type in "lenovo coupon" for title and it will email you as soon as someone starts a thread with those key words in it

hope this helps

Thanks

So I just got my Lenovo T61p yesterday and I just wanted to say: IMPRESSIVE! I am *almost done* with my reformat and revert to XP... drivers and drivers and drivers later, I'm almost running smooth.

Thanks for the tips, Syn.

So I just got my Lenovo T61p yesterday and I just wanted to say: IMPRESSIVE! I am *almost done* with my reformat and revert to XP... drivers and drivers and drivers later, I'm almost running smooth.

Thanks for the tips, Syn.

I'm glad you like it!

i think i'm going to get a mac book

I have been keeping up with the latest Apple news and saw the announcements from the world wide developers conference. The new iPhone looks sweet, but does anyone have any inside information on when Apple will release their new laptop lines with the latest Intel chips. I think they are calling it like Centrino 2 or something like that. They are supposed to have fast frontside buses, a lil faster processors, and stuff like that. Is it worth waiting for those to come out or should I take advantage of the free iPod deal they are running right now. I should think that the Macbooks they are selling now would have enough power to do what I need in medical school. I have a desktop I can still use that would have a more powerful video card than what is offered in the Macbooks now, so I think I would be set, but any advice would be appreciated.

I have been keeping up with the latest Apple news and saw the announcements from the world wide developers conference. The new iPhone looks sweet, but does anyone have any inside information on when Apple will release their new laptop lines with the latest Intel chips. I think they are calling it like Centrino 2 or something like that. They are supposed to have fast frontside buses, a lil faster processors, and stuff like that. Is it worth waiting for those to come out or should I take advantage of the free iPod deal they are running right now. I should think that the Macbooks they are selling now would have enough power to do what I need in medical school. I have a desktop I can still use that would have a more powerful video card than what is offered in the Macbooks now, so I think I would be set, but any advice would be appreciated.

you mean penryn? that is the latest processor out from intel

They are supposed to have fast frontside buses, a lil faster processors, and stuff like that. Is it worth waiting for those to come out or should I take advantage of the free iPod deal they are running right now.

What free iPod deal? Mine has water damage and no longer works and I plan on buying a MacBook, if there is a way to include a free iPod I'd like to know!

What free iPod deal? Mine has water damage and no longer works and I plan on buying a MacBook, if there is a way to include a free iPod I'd like to know!

Just bought a 4gb refurbed Ipod nano (current gen) for $99 with free shipping!

IMO I'd wait a little while to try and substantiate any claims for a new processor before buying, if that sort of thing concerns you. You're right, in that the current MacBook needs no upgrade to perform well for med school purposes. However it sounds like you want to stay on top of new developments, in which case a new chip released shortly after your pricey purchase might drive you crazy! :eek: The good news is that you have until 9/15/08 to get the free iPod.

I just ordered an x61t. Lenovo is still doing 25% off and then I found a coupon for 10% off (USPGREATSAVINGS) that is valid through today. 35% off :thumbup:

Dav86,

What programs do you think you'll be running in med school? I figure it'll mostly be powerpoint and word. Maybe something from a book publisher that they include with a textbook but outside of that I don't think you'll need a more powerful processor than is currently out (actually a computer from three years ago would be just as good)

Unless you plan on playing some hard core gaming or doing some serious AV work/encoding what is current on the market will more than meet your needs. I suggest that if you want/need it now then get it now. If you don't need it immideatly then wait a few weeks until just before school starts just incase Apple comes out with a new machine.

Besides the free iPod deal runs till at least September which so you can take advantage of it until then.

you mean penryn? that is the latest processor out from intel

Not Penryn, but Montevina link, its other name is centrino 2, it supposedly will have a 1066 Mhz bus, instead of 800 and will be able to go up to around 3 Ghz, which is a tad bit faster than the laptops presently available, and it also consumes less power. I think its slated to come out in July sometime, they pushed it back from its June release
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

Not Penryn, but Montevina link, its other name is centrino 2, it supposedly will have a 1066 Mhz bus, instead of 800 and will be able to go up to around 3 Ghz, which is a tad bit faster than the laptops presently available, and it also consumes less power. I think its slated to come out in July sometime, they pushed it back from its June release

Thanks...i thought montevina wasn't coming out till late 09 at the earliest...sucks I can't choose what computer I want from now on...:(

school required computers are also a generation slower too

Do you guys think that weight is really a big factor when buying a tablet PC for school? Wont the majority of work be done with the computer on a desk, therefore eliminating the weight issue? I can see how a businessperson would need to carry the tablet in the crook of one arm while writing notes and walking or standing, but for us students is that ever really going to become a necessity?

I'm stuck between the Gateway C142XL and the Lenovo X61t and am trying to make a decision based on price, bang for the buck, screen size (I'd prefer the 14"), etc.

Last edited:
whats a good processor for a computer. I am looking into the dell XPS 1530. It comes with a 2.4 gig processor, wondering if i am overdoing it and spending too much money. :cool:

Only thing is, i am a person who NEEDS a warranty, and the 1500 dollar dell laptop comes with a 4yr warranty. Is 1500 too much for a laptop? The way i saw it was if i spend 1000 dollars on a laptop and and bought warranty separately, it would come off to the same price.

The specs are 2.4 gig process
320 hard drive
4gb ram
256 video card
8 cd/dvd rewritable drive
vista
high resolution 1440x900 screen
finger print reader/ 2mp camera
4yr in house/theft protection (lojack) warranty

My mom gets 20 percent employee discount at dell. But the laptop is 600 dollars less since it is on sale. Would the 20 percent be of the discounted price or the original price? What is everyones opinion on the xps 1530? Any help is appreciated

Last edited: