What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting a new MacBook Pro WOOT... OS Unlimited

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - those of you with the x61t performing the clean install: we don't need to install the ultranav driver or utility, right? I know the clean install link is for T61s - so I guess that utility is for input devices on the T61 such as the track pad? The x61t doesn't need that driver - correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - I want to get the biometric print reader going for all passwords. To do this, I need to install CSS 8.1, right?

Also, in order to install CSS 8.1, don't I need to load Rescue and Recovery 4.0 or later?

I've already installed the Thinkvantage print reader as per the clean install instructions.

Thanks

Hey - I want to get the biometric print reader going for all passwords. To do this, I need to install CSS 8.1, right?

Also, in order to install CSS 8.1, don't I need to load Rescue and Recovery 4.0 or later?

I've already installed the Thinkvantage print reader as per the clean install instructions.

Thanks

Yes, you need CSS 8.1 in order to save all your PW using the FP reader.

No, you don't need RnR 4.0 in order for CSS 8.1 to work.

What I don't get is how I can install Active Protection when it is not available on the Lenovo website. Any ideas, Synoscope?

Yes, you need CSS 8.1 in order to save all your PW using the FP reader.

No, you don't need RnR 4.0 in order for CSS 8.1 to work.

What I don't get is how I can install Active Protection when it is not available on the Lenovo website. Any ideas, Synoscope?

I can't dl the CSS 8.1 because the Lenovo website for that URL has issues - do you happen to have that *.exe, for CSS 8.1?

The reason I was wondering about the RNR 4.0 is b/c the website states the following:

"In order to install Client Security Solution 8.1, you must first upgrade to Rescue and Recovery 4.0 or later. To upgrade, download and run the Rescue and Recovery 4.0 installer available on the Lenovo Web site."

So, no need to install RnR 4.0 - I'll still be able to utilize full-featured CSS 8.1 when I'm finally able to get my hands on the executable?

what do you guys recommend for an anit-virus program?

I've been using the free version of AVG anti-virus for a few years now and haven't had a problem with it yet. Doesn't seem to slow everything down that much like I experienced with the big Norton/Symantec packages.

There are a few decent anti-virus programs out there that usually get pretty good reviews.

The BIGGEST thing is just watching what you download and what websites you go to. With some sort of anti-virus, and just common sense in what you download, install and view in email then you should be fine.

As far as I am concerned, Norton utilities are tops. Check out CNET for user feedback and ratings on AV software. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but they drain CPU performance

Everything taxes CPU performance to some extent. I'm not saying run Norton 360 with all features activated. I've been nothing but satisfied with Norton products (mainly enterprise editions) since I can remember and most Fortune 500 technology consulting firms agree. :cool:

There are other good products out there without a doubt - and some that are much more CPU intensive than Norton, it really depends on selected run options. For straight virus def research and scanning, Norton/Symantec is great IMO. I must admit, I do like some of their other packaged components as well - but not everything.

I've been using the free version of AVG anti-virus for a few years now

AVG has some good reviews, too - some say too heavy in the settings department, especially for novice users. I was curious about BitBlocker, too, but haven't looked into it...

remember that covers only the windows 2000, xp, and vista 32 bit, there is a diff one for the 64 bit

Yep, got it. Thks

For CSS 8.1, shouldn't I get prompted to save entered passwords to the app? I'm not and it's running in the systray... any ideas? I'm not too familiar with the Lenovo/Thinkpad utilities.

NM - got it. Apparently, I needed to elevate to admin within the app even though I was logged in as admin. All good now. :rolleyes::thumbup:

stupid vista and stupid privilileges! ;)

Believe it or not, I'm still playing with the authentication methods.

I've enrolled prints and I keep getting CSS telling me (after I swipe) that "The requested operation requires fingerprint auth, but you have no prints enrolled. Please enroll prints and retry this operation".

I've deleted my print "passport" and recreated (ENROLLED!) to no avail and I'm still receiving that error... :confused:

Just needed to kill a process to get the apps synced. Looks like it's working. :thumbup:

So, for those of you familiar with CSS and biometrics, once I store the user/pass info and then return to the website, I swipe my print once and depending on the settings (autofill & autologon - selected), the user and pass for all stored sites are automatic? I guess that makes sense... I was under the impression that I needed to swipe at each site? One swipe and I'm good to go at all stored sites (assuming autofill and autologon)? Neat-o.

Just needed to kill a process to get the apps synced. Looks like it's working. :thumbup:

So, for those of you familiar with CSS and biometrics, once I store the user/pass info and then return to the website, I swipe my print once and depending on the settings (autofill & autologon - selected), the user and pass for all stored sites are automatic? I guess that makes sense... I was under the impression that I needed to swipe at each site? One swipe and I'm good to go at all stored sites (assuming autofill and autologon)? Neat-o.

you usually have to swipe only once and you're good to go...the comp may make you swipe again after a sleep period...but one swipe should do

the form should automatically pop up whenever any username and password prompt comes up....i notice that sometimes it doesnt and it can get annoying..but 9/10 times it works fine

you usually have to swipe only once and you're good to go...the comp may make you swipe again after a sleep period...but one swipe should do

the form should automatically pop up whenever any username and password prompt comes up....i notice that sometimes it doesnt and it can get annoying..but 9/10 times it works fine

I'm a Lenovo/Thinkpad convert. :D:thumbup:

Clean install and hidden partition deletion worked like a charm. TY BTW.

I was under the impression that I needed to swipe at each site? One swipe and I'm good to go at all stored sites (assuming autofill and autologon)? Neat-o.

There is actually an option where you can swipe at every login site for more security (which I use). But if the one swipe is more convenient for you, by all means, use it! ;)

There is actually an option where you can swipe at every login site for more security (which I use). But if the one swipe is more convenient for you, by all means, use it! ;)

doesn't that get annoying? do you really need that much security? ;)

doesn't that get annoying? do you really need that much security? ;)

Yes, I do especially since my friends also use my laptop. I don't want them sneaking into my Gmail and reading all of my stuff, ya know? Or what if my laptop gets stolen (and assuming I already swiped), they just go to my bank account? That won't be good, would it? :cool:

Also, how do you guys get the Ultimate Steal on the Office 07? It seems like we need a valid .edu e-mail address. However, I am an incoming first year and my school did not assign one yet. The offer ends in about 10 days and I need to hurry. :(

Yes, I do especially since my friends also use my laptop. I don't want them sneaking into my Gmail and reading all of my stuff, ya know? Or what if my laptop gets stolen (and assuming I already swiped), they just go to my bank account? That won't be good, would it? :cool:

Also, how do you guys get the Ultimate Steal on the Office 07? It seems like we need a valid .edu e-mail address. However, I am an incoming first year and my school did not assign one yet. The offer ends in about 10 days and I need to hurry. :(
that's a good reason!! no one else touches my notebook.....and if im not on my computer, it is either shut down or in sleep mode, which will require a finger swipe again upon starting up

I actually want to configure it that way... where's that option? :D:thumbup: :confused:

Also, can you manually enter login info? I wasn't prompted on the Capital One website to store the data... is this the 1 out of 10 times it doesn't store and is there a way around?

I actually want to configure it that way... where's that option? :D:thumbup: :confused:

Also, can you manually enter login info? I wasn't prompted on the Capital One website to store the data... is this the 1 out of 10 times it doesn't store and is there a way around?

That option appears when the program prompts you to the 'store PW window'. On the bottom, instead of Default, use Customize. Then, set it to Always asks for Fingerprint (or something like that). That should do the trick.

I am sure there is a way to manually enter the login info, but I have never done so. It usually prompts you after you write in your info and press Enter.

Also, I have 2 questions:

1. I realize that when I return to my computer and the screen saver is on, it prompts me for my fingerprint or my PW. However, when I return to my computer when it is under Hibernate mode, it does not ask me but rather, it just goes to my windows directly. Is there any way to enable the prompt for the PW upon wake from hibernation?

2. I currently use CSS 8.1 and I have applied the Firefox patch. However, my firefox still crashes when there is a pop-up window. Is there any way to fix this? It is getting a bit annoying sometimes. The only way to stop this is to disable the PW manager but I would not want to do this every time in the future.

I also ordered an x61t on that day with similar estimated shipping date. I'd suggest checking your order status to see if you really have the free 2 day business shipping because I selected the same shipping option but it was changed 2 days later to standard on my order status. I should have printed out the old order status, but I forgot to and now Lenovo is refusing to honor the free 2 day shipping. Tell me if the same happened to you.

I went back and made a fake order to get to the shipping options page and lo and behold there was the free 2 business day shipping option, so I sent Lenovo a screen capture of that. Hopefully they will honor it now.

Otherwise I can't wait to get it!

P.S. Does anyone use a screen protector? If so, are there any good ones under $50?

I went and checked this out. Mine still lists the 2-day shipping, but I e-mailed this to myself just in case. Hopefully this works out for you too!

I went and checked this out. Mine still lists the 2-day shipping, but I e-mailed this to myself just in case. Hopefully this works out for you too!

EVERYONE gets 2 days shipping. It doesn't matter whether you picked the standard shipping option or the 2 days shipping option. The reality is, however, you are NOT going to receive your laptop 2 days since your order. It is 2 days shipping AFTER the laptop comes to the customs in America. This process took me a week. It may be shorter or longer for you depending on where you live.

That option appears when the program prompts you to the 'store PW window'. On the bottom, instead of Default, use Customize. Then, set it to Always asks for Fingerprint (or something like that). That should do the trick.

I am sure there is a way to manually enter the login info, but I have never done so. It usually prompts you after you write in your info and press Enter.

Also, I have 2 questions:

1. I realize that when I return to my computer and the screen saver is on, it prompts me for my fingerprint or my PW. However, when I return to my computer when it is under Hibernate mode, it does not ask me but rather, it just goes to my windows directly. Is there any way to enable the prompt for the PW upon wake from hibernation?

2. I currently use CSS 8.1 and I have applied the Firefox patch. However, my firefox still crashes when there is a pop-up window. Is there any way to fix this? It is getting a bit annoying sometimes. The only way to stop this is to disable the PW manager but I would not want to do this every time in the future.

honestly, your best bet is to post this on the notebookreview forums under the lenovo section...there are some very helpful people there.....

I have never run into this problem with firefox...so, I can't help you..sorry...in fact..firefox is my primary browser

Bump.. any answers to this?

The installation procedure looks very long; I hope I do not need it. :p

i never installed it! hope that helps

the first thing I do after a clean install is to let windows do all the "windows updates"...restart and let it download everyhing besides the foreign language packs of course

then I added on my hotkey driver, System interface driver

then client security

then my turbo memory software

then thinkvantage producitivity center

the harddrive airbag program and that's it!

anyone here have experience with Toshiba laptops? i'm looking at the new Satellite Pro U400 or M300.

Hey Syncope,

I'm planning on using my laptop for gaming AND medical school. I'm not sure whether to get the T61 series or the T61p series. While I'm leaning toward the T61p, are there any advantages to the T61p other than the Quadro FX 570M? Are there any noticeable differences that you know of between the two models?

Do I want the free integrated wireless WAN? Is it one of those... "well, why not, if it's free?"

Also, what are your thoughts on XP 64-bit? I installed it a while back when it was still in Beta and didn't like it then. Is it any better now? I don't have any apps that would utilize it right now, but would it make windows itself run a little faster?

My current setup is at$962.61 with the CPP.

edit: Oh, on the bottom of the CPP Thinkpad page, it says 25% off until May 19. Is that just a gimmick to get you to buy, or do I really need to think about buying before then?

OH, another question: Any recommendations, anyone, on laptop bags / cases? Brands, past experiences, whatever.

Alright all you techno savy people....(one of which I am not). I was looking at computers today and I came across the HP pavillion tx 1000....for 879.00

Opinions? Thoughts?

I'm a computer novice, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Alright all you techno savy people....(one of which I am not). I was looking at computers today and I came across the HP pavillion tx 1000....for 879.00

Opinions? Thoughts?

I'm a computer novice, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Better hold off...Nova just published the specs for our required machines...4 GB memory, 2.6 GhZ chip...that's EXTREMELY powerful and you're not going to find it in an economy box. The Dell deal is a decent deal, particularly if you're a novice.

Better hold off...Nova just published the specs for our required machines...4 GB memory, 2.6 GhZ chip...that's EXTREMELY powerful and you're not going to find it in an economy box. The Dell deal is a decent deal, particularly if you're a novice.

The machine i'm looking at comes with 2 GB memory (in two slots of course, so upgradeable to 4 ) ....Nova's specs say 2.4 GHz processor...I was under the impression that this machine (with a Turion 64X2 Dual core processor) has a decent processor... I'm not sure though, I really don't know much about computers at all and I'm new at this.

The machine i'm looking at comes with 2 GB memory (in two slots of course, so upgradeable to 4 ) ....Nova's specs say 2.4 GHz processor...I was under the impression that this machine (with a Turion 64X2 Dual core processor) has a decent processor... I'm not sure though, I really don't know much about computers at all and I'm new at this.

All the more reason to not fly solo here. If you buy Nova's recommended machine, you get support from Nova's IT department. If you bring your own machine, you have to solve all problems all by yourself. When everybody else is studying.

The machine you're looking at has a decent processor, true, and you might get away with it. But you'd better go line by line through that list: does it have sufficient graphics memory? Do you want to be spending time educating yourself about this stuff? In your shoes, I wouldn't.

Do you want to be spending time educating yourself about this stuff? In your shoes, I wouldn't.

Well yeah...that's why I asked. I actually really like the idea of a tablet, but I want to make sure I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.

I don't enjoy that tag about one of the advantages to option 1 being the computer exams...

Wow those are hard core specs. I mean those computers are top of the line for using word documents and powerpoint slides. From what I gather most med students only really need computers to either look up reference material on the net, review powerpoint slides or take notes and any computer (as long as its not fouled up by malware) produced in the last 5 years should handle that load including economy boxes.

I think if Nova is pushing you to buy a computer from the school directly they might get some sort of kickback from the manufacturer. It sounds fishy that a school would only support one kind of machine from one manufacturer unless the IT dept. is lazy or incompetent and doesn't want to be "hassled" with supporting their students.

I've seen IT departments and various jobs I've held and they are notoriously bad about supporting anything new because it means they have to actually learn something new.

*Disclaimer*
I personally am a Mac guy, have been since 2002, however, people should get the machine they would feel most comfortable with.

I'll be starting at NSUCOM this fall also, and just read through the spec sheets they posted. Personally, I'm not paying much regard to it, and I'll try my luck with my current setup -- Lenovo x61t tablet, 2gb (soon to be 4gb) ram, and Ubuntu Linux 8.04.

I've already confirmed that Apreso works fine with my current config, and I'll figure out the rest along the way. If Nova's saying that Macs are allowed, I doubt there'll be any windows-specific software that we'll be confronted with.

I've had a mac for a few years (powerbook G4), but found osx troubleshooting to be more of a PITA than I was happy with. Vista is its own hell, and I'll run XP tablet edition as a worst case scenario (either dualbooting or in a virtual machine).

I'm hard pressed to think of any software that NSUCOM would throw at us that requires the full extent of that spec, and from working in academic IT for my college, I know that we would post 'suggested configurations' of whatever was top of the line at the time.

I'm curious how all this will work out for me also.

Hey Syncope,

I'm planning on using my laptop for gaming AND medical school. I'm not sure whether to get the T61 series or the T61p series. While I'm leaning toward the T61p, are there any advantages to the T61p other than the Quadro FX 570M? Are there any noticeable differences that you know of between the two models?

Do I want the free integrated wireless WAN? Is it one of those... "well, why not, if it's free?"

Also, what are your thoughts on XP 64-bit? I installed it a while back when it was still in Beta and didn't like it then. Is it any better now? I don't have any apps that would utilize it right now, but would it make windows itself run a little faster?

My current setup is at$962.61 with the CPP.

edit: Oh, on the bottom of the CPP Thinkpad page, it says 25% off until May 19. Is that just a gimmick to get you to buy, or do I really need to think about buying before then?

if you're really into gaming..get the 15'' t61p version which has a better graphics card than the 14'' t61p...don't ask me why

the only difference between t61 and t61p is the graphics card...nothing else

I would not get the wireless WAN..it restricts you to certain providers.....unless you're planning on doing a wireless data contract and know which company you want

if you're really into gaming..get the 15'' t61p version which has a better graphics card than the 14'' t61p...don't ask me why

the only difference between t61 and t61p is the graphics card...nothing else

I would not get the wireless WAN..it restricts you to certain providers.....unless you're planning on doing a wireless data contract and know which company you want

Thanks for the help! I really couldn't tell any difference between the specs on the two models, but I've never actually seen a Lenovo in real life before :p

Have any experience with XP 64-bit? Should I buy my T61p before May 19 "sale" ends?

Thanks for the help! I really couldn't tell any difference between the specs on the two models, but I've never actually seen a Lenovo in real life before :p

Have any experience with XP 64-bit? Should I buy my T61p before May 19 "sale" ends?

I would suggest going to a best buy, CC, or microcenter to check them out in person....

Thinkpads don't have all the "apperances" of a cool looking notebook..so some people are turned off by that...but personally, I like the sleek solid look. I don't like having all these extra buttons that really, just get in the way and will probably break and cause more trouble

sorry..no experience with 64bit XP

Lenovo constantly has good sales...but I would wait for this one to pass and wait for the memorial day or labor day sale (whatever one is at the end of may...i forget)...the prices will be better and they will have coupons that are "stackable" for further discounts

Syncope: Need some help ASAP if you can. I just received my X61t yesterday (unfortunately I was at work all night), and I'm working on the clean install right now. I THOUGHT I had a set of disks for 64-bit Vista, but they turned out to be 32-bit. I've got 4GB of ram showing up tonight, and I want my computer to recognize it all, so I think I need the 64-bit version. Did you ever find a torrent for an iso of the DVD? I've googled it and there are a number that show up, but you mentioned some being disreputable...

Thanks,
Nate.