What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think that weight is really a big factor when buying a tablet PC for school? Wont the majority of work be done with the computer on a desk, therefore eliminating the weight issue? I can see how a businessperson would need to carry the tablet in the crook of one arm while writing notes and walking or standing, but for us students is that ever really going to become a necessity?

I'm stuck between the Gateway C142XL and the Lenovo X61t and am trying to make a decision based on price, bang for the buck, screen size (I'd prefer the 14"), etc.

bump for my question as it was the last one on the last page and would have thus been overlooked as a new page has started.

Members don't see this ad.

bump for my question as it was the last one on the last page and would have thus been overlooked as a new page has started.

You might not have to use it while standing, but if it's heavy enough, it will be annoying even in a backpack. Take something of similar weight and dimensions and walk around with it in your bag. Make sure you put your other books in there, too. My first laptop was a 15", 8.5 lb. I stopped bringing it to class with me with a quickness. My next one, at 5 lbs., was much nicer to carry around.

You might not have to use it while standing, but if it's heavy enough, it will be annoying even in a backpack. Take something of similar weight and dimensions and walk around with it in your bag. Make sure you put your other books in there, too. My first laptop was a 15", 8.5 lb. I stopped bringing it to class with me with a quickness. My next one, at 5 lbs., was much nicer to carry around.

This is true. However, I will be driving to school from home so the only real carrying will take place in short intervals: from home downstairs to the car then from the car parking lot to the school building/classroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is true. However, I will be driving to school from home so the only real carrying will take place in short intervals: from home downstairs to the car then from the car parking lot to the school building/classroom.

Then I wouldn't worry about the weight so much. I lived on campus and walked around daily. It was lame with a giant laptop. :thumbdown:

Then I wouldn't worry about the weight so much. I lived on campus and walked around daily. It was lame with a giant laptop. :thumbdown:

That's the difference. My laptop will be on my front seat for my commute to school and then it's a short walk over to the classrooms. And yet, I'm still torn between light/expensive and cheaper/heavier

Do you guys think that weight is really a big factor when buying a tablet PC for school? Wont the majority of work be done with the computer on a desk, therefore eliminating the weight issue? I can see how a businessperson would need to carry the tablet in the crook of one arm while writing notes and walking or standing, but for us students is that ever really going to become a necessity?

I'm stuck between the Gateway C142XL and the Lenovo X61t and am trying to make a decision based on price, bang for the buck, screen size (I'd prefer the 14"), etc.

trust me when I say this...weight is a HUGGGEE issue....you don't know it..but you'll be moving ure notebook a lot...from your apt to class...to class to the library..back to ure apt...and not to count the many times you'll have to put it away because of lunch, etc.

Not only the weight, but size is an issue too....keep in mind you'll be lugging around a backpack with 30lb's of stuff in it as well all day

You will be happy you went with a lighter notebook

Last edited:
whats a good processor for a computer. I am looking into the dell XPS 1530. It comes with a 2.4 gig processor, wondering if i am overdoing it and spending too much money. :cool:

Only thing is, i am a person who NEEDS a warranty, and the 1500 dollar dell laptop comes with a 4yr warranty. Is 1500 too much for a laptop? The way i saw it was if i spend 1000 dollars on a laptop and and bought warranty separately, it would come off to the same price.

The specs are 2.4 gig process
320 hard drive
4gb ram
256 video card
8 cd/dvd rewritable drive
vista
high resolution 1440x900 screen
finger print reader/ 2mp camera
4yr in house/theft protection (lojack) warranty

My mom gets 20 percent employee discount at dell. But the laptop is 600 dollars less since it is on sale. Would the 20 percent be of the discounted price or the original price? What is everyones opinion on the xps 1530? Any help is appreciated

Bump, anyone? Am i going overboard?

Well I agree with your warranty rationale, since I have had to use my warranty on about 7 occasions with 2 different laptops. Thus, if you could get a good computer for less than [1500 - cost of warranty], I'd consider. What other choices are you considering?

trust me when I say this...weight is a HUGGGEE issue....you don't know it..but you'll be moving ure notebook a lot...from your apt to class...to class to the library..back to ure apt...and not to count the many times you'll have to put it away because of lunch, etc.

Not only the weight, but size is an issue too....keep in mind you'll be lugging around a backpack with 30lb's of stuff in it as well all day

You will be happy you went with a lighter notebook

NYCOM doesn't really use textbooks, mostly PPT stuff, so I'd mainly be carrying around just the laptop and I suppose some supplies like a stethoscope, scrubs and nitrile gloves or whatever.

I'm still torn on the weight issue!

I think you are...do you really think you're going to keep youre notebook for 4 years? With technology, youre notebook will be a dinsosaur 4 years from now and you'll really be wishing for a new notebook...

I just go with the standard 1 year warranty, plus I use my AMEX card that adds another year onto the warranty...so 2 years is plenty for me...I know I'll end up with a new computer after 2 years

I would save some of that money...and that lojack thing is ridiculous....lojack is for government employees, homeland security, or high level executives where their data on the notebook is worth more than their life.

save the $150 or so and just buy a simple $10 laptop lock...I'd recommend the http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-64...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213121788&sr=8-6 since it folds up

NYCOM doesn't really use textbooks, mostly PPT stuff, so I'd mainly be carrying around just the laptop and I suppose some supplies like a stethoscope, scrubs and nitrile gloves or whatever.

I'm still torn on the weight issue!

You will be carrying around some sort of anatomy atlas (they are huge) religiously during your first year along with many other important texts...weight will be an issue...especially for a commuter

I know many schools are highly tech oriented...but there are times where you can't do everything on a computer...you'll have to look at an actual book

I think you are...do you really think you're going to keep youre notebook for 4 years? With technology, youre notebook will be a dinsosaur 4 years from now and you'll really be wishing for a new notebook...

I just go with the standard 1 year warranty, plus I use my AMEX card that adds another year onto the warranty...so 2 years is plenty for me...I know I'll end up with a new computer after 2 years

I would save some of that money...and that lojack thing is ridiculous....lojack is for government employees, homeland security, or high level executives where their data on the notebook is worth more than their life.

save the $150 or so and just buy a simple $10 laptop lock...I'd recommend the http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-64...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213121788&sr=8-6 since it folds up

Haha thanks back to the drawing board. In general how much is everyone spending?

I bought one for my first laptop. I quickly realized that it would take someone about 2 seconds and very little force to break the flimsy part of the casing through which that lock connects. Personally I'd also forego the lojack for an extended warranty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought one for my first laptop. I quickly realized that it would take someone about 2 seconds and very little force to break the flimsy part of the casing through which that lock connects. Personally I'd also forego the lojack for an extended warranty.

actually lojack is free with the 4 yr warranty. The problem is i have a knack at destroying computer, so i need a warranty. But you guys do bring up a good point about getting a new laptop in MS III

I've thought about that as well...but this is how it works out...

would you ever leave your notebook in the middle of the mall locked up to a bench? or somewhere public? absolutely not

the only place where you'd leave it locked up is at the library where you have to go to the bathroom, etc. or in class.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone comes with leatherman trying to pry apart your lock in a university? you'd get caught very, very quick and I doubt anyone would even risk it

If a potential thief is walking by...they won't even bother with your notebook if they see a lock...they'll just look for the next notebook that is not locked up (they don't know if it has lojack or not) so regardless, your notebook will be stolen...lojack will just help recover it for you...but it will be gone for a while till warrants are issued, etc.

actually lojack is free with the 4 yr warranty. The problem is i have a knack at destroying computer, so i need a warranty. But you guys do bring up a good point about getting a new laptop in MS III

Oh well that's reasonable, then. I always get a 3 yr warranty with mine, and USE IT.

If you have a good computer today, it probably won't be useless in 4 years. It all depends on what you do with it. If your needs remain the same, like ppt, etc., then I doubt you'll need a new computer in MSIII. However, if you go with a heavier computer now, you might kick yourself in MSIII, since you'll probably carry it around a lot more at that point.

lol...you sound like my GF.

anyways...the best I can say is that AMEX also offers a 90 day theft protection and accidental breakage coverage.....so you're covered for the first 90 days...

If you really are as clutzy as you say...then i'd go with a warranty that includes accidental breakage like one of those best buy warranties...I think lenovo also offers some sort of protection incase you decide to throw your comp out the window

maybe you should be looking at a Panasonic Toughbook ;)

I've thought about that as well...but this is how it works out...

would you ever leave your notebook in the middle of the mall locked up to a bench? or somewhere public? absolutely not

the only place where you'd leave it locked up is at the library where you have to go to the bathroom, etc. or in class.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone comes with leatherman trying to pry apart your lock in a university? you'd get caught very, very quick and I doubt anyone would even risk it

If a potential thief is walking by...they won't even bother with your notebook if they see a lock...they'll just look for the next notebook that is not locked up (they don't know if it has lojack or not) so regardless, your notebook will be stolen...lojack will just help recover it for you...but it will be gone for a while till warrants are issued, etc.

Good point. I guess my laptop is small enough that I'd just put it in my bag and take it with me to the bathroom, if I didn't know anyone around who'd watch it for me.

Hey Syncope

Are there any good coupons for Lenovo's x61T going on now...i've been lurking in this thread for a while but am just starting to search for a good deal??
Or do you think there is going to be any big sales coming up...ie 4th of july?

Thanks a lot man.

I just ordered a new 14" T61 from Lenovo. They are having a 25% off sale under June 16th I believe, and then I used a 10% off coupon I found (35% total :))

$970+tax (incl. 2 day ship)

2.5ghz T9300
1440x900 14.1" WXGA+
160gb 7200rpm
integrated graphics for longer battery life
fingerprint reader
3gb RAM
extended battery
A/G/N Wireless card + Bluetooth
8x DVD-RW
Vista Premium

I'll only buy Lenovo/IBM these days. The other manuf. may have better specs for the price, but nobody can beat Lenovo/IBM's durability. They have a built in roll-cage, need i say more? You can step on them or drop them and they will usually keep on truckin...

Hey Syncope

Are there any good coupons for Lenovo's x61T going on now...i've been lurking in this thread for a while but am just starting to search for a good deal??
Or do you think there is going to be any big sales coming up...ie 4th of july?

Thanks a lot man.

from what i've seen..the largest discounts are during the labor day sale, and memorial day sale.......july 4th is not that bad

just keep searching on www.slickdeals.net or www.fatwallet.com by a title search saying "lenovo coupon"

do the search every other day or so and you'll know when it pops up

on slickdeals..you can also set up alerts..so it will email you as soon as someone posts a lenovo coupon

I'll only buy Lenovo/IBM these days. The other manuf. may have better specs for the price, but nobody can beat Lenovo/IBM's durability. They have a built in roll-cage, need i say more? You can step on them or drop them and they will usually keep on truckin...

that's why i'm such a fan of thinkpads...they are quite durable...in fact..i accidentally stepped on my bag with my notebook in it...with full force of my body weight (a whopping 135 lbs)...and nothing happened :eek:

from what i've seen..the largest discounts are during the labor day sale, and memorial day sale.......july 4th is not that bad

just keep searching on www.slickdeals.net or www.fatwallet.com by a title search saying "lenovo coupon"

do the search every other day or so and you'll know when it pops up

on slickdeals..you can also set up alerts..so it will email you as soon as someone posts a lenovo coupon

Theyre currently having a 25% off sale until june 16th, and there is a new 10% off coupon floating around that is something like USPGREATSAVINGS, search for it...

good luck

Theyre currently having a 25% off sale until june 16th, and there is a new 10% off coupon floating around that is something like USPGREATSAVINGS, search for it...

good luck

Thanks...though I'm not in the market for a new computer since DCOM will be choosing mine ;)

But im sure it'll help others out!

good luck

I've checked a few times and the CPP discount is cheaper.

I've checked a few times and the CPP discount is cheaper.

there is even a greater savings when you find a coupon that is stackable on top of the CPP....that occurs rarely, but when it does...everyone is jumping on it...so it'll def be floating around on the interet somewhere

I have a t61p and it's a great machine. It's not big, it's pretty thin for the power that is packed into it and they are known to be durable. I think you can get a nicely configed laptop at a grand.

there is even a greater savings when you find a coupon that is stackable on top of the CPP....that occurs rarely, but when it does...everyone is jumping on it...so it'll def be floating around on the interet somewhere

Yeah I'm kicking myself since I should've jumped at the extra 10% discount this past April. Now in hindsight I see those aren't as common as i thought they would be. :(

I kind of made the decision to keep my dell 700m. I'll probably get a new hard drive and 1 more gb of ram, and i think it will work.

i got the lenovo tablet and thought i might have a hard time adjusting to the red tracker b/c i liked the mouse pad. but oddly enough i think i like it more now!!

also random side not for some fun things with the tablet if you have some spare time... there are some awesome painting programs online you can have a lot of fun with with a pen! let me know if you want to know more about it :)

i got the lenovo tablet and thought i might have a hard time adjusting to the red tracker b/c i liked the mouse pad. but oddly enough i think i like it more now!!

also random side not for some fun things with the tablet if you have some spare time... there are some awesome painting programs online you can have a lot of fun with with a pen! let me know if you want to know more about it :)

Actually, I hear that alot.....people have a lot of trouble with the trackpoint initially (aka...red dot).......but most, after getting used to it, like it much better than a touchpad due to the more accurate senstivity and precision the trackpoint offers....glad you like your notebook! gosh...I wish DCOM ends up with thinkpads! its going to suck lugging around a 7lb beast (gateway)

So I ordered my Lenovo on 6/3 and it is still showing an estimated ship date of 6/24 and still says in process, should I call Lenovo to followup on my order or should it be arriving sooner than later?? I am starting to freak out a little since Orientation for us is on 6/23 & Gross Anatomy is starting on 6/24~Whoo Hoo!

So I ordered my Lenovo on 6/3 and it is still showing an estimated ship date of 6/24 and still says in process, should I call Lenovo to followup on my order or should it be arriving sooner than later?? I am starting to freak out a little since Orientation for us is on 6/23 & Gross Anatomy is starting on 6/24~Whoo Hoo!

there are only 2 optoins...in process and shipped....nothing in between

I would still call to follow up anyways

there are only 2 optoins...in process and shipped....nothing in between

I would still call to follow up anyways

Ditto that. I ordered my x61 on May 24th and the status of the order did not change until it was shipped on June 16th (as promised). It should be delivered to me today, the 18th, with the 2day shipping. I am so excited to get it! :D

Ditto that. I ordered my x61 on May 24th and the status of the order did not change until it was shipped on June 16th (as promised). It should be delivered to me today, the 18th, with the 2day shipping. I am so excited to get it! :D

actually im surprised that it took that long to ship...usually they send it out within a week.....possible supply shortages again like last year....there was an extreme shortage of LCD panels and WWAN cards...so people were waiting 1+ months

Computer question. I have a Mac, which doesn't need anti-virus software. As they are REQUIRING antiivirus software for both mac and PC, can anyone recommend something for Mac that won't mess up our computers. (I'm convinced antivirus software is a big scam, as my old PC performance was always ruinned by McAfee and/or Norton.) Any freeware out there?

Going to purchase a MacBook myself, any suggestions?

Going to purchase a MacBook myself, any suggestions?

You'll love it! You probably don't need the 250 GB black one, unless you have tons of music or movies. Save the $200 and get the 160 GB white one. However if you have $200 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd go with the upgrade to 4 GB ram. However, this is not necessary for med school--more of a luxury. Also the black one gets dirty and greasy looking (from skin oils) very quickly. The white one looks nice, even after a few years. I'd recommend you get an external hard drive, probably 1.5-2x as big as your internal hard drive. That way you can take advantage of Time Machine and seamlessly back up all your stuff.

Also be sure to take advantage of the educational discount and the back to school free iPod!

Rumor has it that these iPods CB is referring to will be iPod Touch?? Maybe they are already giving out touch ipods with computers to students. Anyone hear the same thing? I have 2 apple computers right now but other than a complete waste of money, there's no reason to buy a third if it comes with a new ipod touch..:D

Rumor has it that these iPods CB is referring to will be iPod Touch?? Maybe they are already giving out touch ipods with computers to students. Anyone hear the same thing? I have 2 apple computers right now but other than a complete waste of money, there's no reason to buy a third if it comes with a new ipod touch..:D

Looks like it's an 8 GB Touch or Nano for FREE! The Nano is $100 less though, and it has no Wi-Fi. Boo.

You'll love it! You probably don't need the 250 GB black one, unless you have tons of music or movies. Save the $200 and get the 160 GB white one. However if you have $200 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd go with the upgrade to 4 GB ram. However, this is not necessary for med school--more of a luxury. Also the black one gets dirty and greasy looking (from skin oils) very quickly. The white one looks nice, even after a few years. I'd recommend you get an external hard drive, probably 1.5-2x as big as your internal hard drive. That way you can take advantage of Time Machine and seamlessly back up all your stuff.

Also be sure to take advantage of the educational discount and the back to school free iPod!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was referring to the attached quote regarding anti-virus software.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was referring to the attached quote regarding anti-virus software.

Woulda helped to read the quote, I guess! :D Anywho, I have no experience with Mac anti-virus software. Hasn't been a problem. I don't know if I know anyone with a Mac who has anti-virus software, actually. I hope hackers don't know that... :eek:

Antivirus software on the mac is a joke, schools want you to run it because either they A) don't know enough about macs to realize that they don't need it or B) to prevent you from accidently passing on viruses to your windows friends.

In the 6 years I've had a mac neither of those occurrences ever happened. When I got my first iBook in 2002 I bought norton and shortly realized that it was a waste of 50 dollars. Also if you want to get more ram I would suggest going to MacSales.com and buying ram from them. I bought 4GB of ram for my MBP and it cost me less than 100 bucks.

Finally I like using time machine but I would get a HD that is huge. I actually bought a time capsule 1TB and use that as my backup. I like to be safe rather than sorry. Then again I also have two other external HD's one for a weekly backup and one for a daily backup. The weekly backup I keep off site just incase the worse happens like fire or flood.

Also if you want to get more ram I would suggest going to MacSales.com and buying ram from them. I bought 4GB of ram for my MBP and it cost me less than 100 bucks.

Very true. I just upgraded my wife's MacBook (white) from 1 GB to 2 GB. Only cost $60, and it was really easy. However, many consumers aren't eager to dive into their new MB, even if it is extremely simple.

I :love: my think pad with the 3 GB of ram I feel like I'm flying :D. Thanks Syncope and others :thumbup:

Hey, Syncope, do you have a code for the employee discount right now? Thanks in advance.

Thanks so much, guys!

hey i am about to get the xps m1530 and wanted to know if the LED back light is worth the extra 75 dollars? It is supposedly better on battery life. What do you guys think? Is the quality of the image on the screen dimmer with an LED vs LCD? Or is the image about the same brightness?

I am also debating over the 13 inch screen or the 15 inch. It is a tough call... sigh