What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Syncope: Need some help ASAP if you can. I just received my X61t yesterday (unfortunately I was at work all night), and I'm working on the clean install right now. I THOUGHT I had a set of disks for 64-bit Vista, but they turned out to be 32-bit. I've got 4GB of ram showing up tonight, and I want my computer to recognize it all, so I think I need the 64-bit version. Did you ever find a torrent for an iso of the DVD? I've googled it and there are a number that show up, but you mentioned some being disreputable...

Thanks,
Nate.

http://www.mininova.org/search/vista+x64/seeds

it is orgnized by seeds..and you want to read the comments...but this one looks legit and I would download it http://www.mininova.org/tor/1317128

email me or PM for a crack if you need it

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm ready to buy a x61 myself. But my set up is a lot more expensive. Do I really need some of this stuff?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7700 LV (1.8GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)1
Genuine Windows Vista Business12
12.1" MultiView + MultiTouch WVA XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
4 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm4
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim5
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ10
Wireless WAN Ready - Integrated Antenna with no Provider Card Installed65
ThinkPad X61 Tablet 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery60
7764: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty7

2 Year Depot Upgrade with 2 Year ThinkPad Protection

Also, Microsoft Office Home and Student, OneNote

pre-tax total: $2,537.75

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm ready to buy a x61 myself. But my set up is a lot more expensive. Do I really need some of this stuff?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7700 LV (1.8GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)1
Genuine Windows Vista Business12
12.1" MultiView + MultiTouch WVA XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ10
Wireless WAN Ready - Integrated Antenna with no Provider Card Installed65
7764: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty7

pre-tax total: $2,537.75

- Just get a 1 GB DDR2 (1 DIMM) and Buy the other 2GB from a third party store.

- Do you think you need this much hardrive space? I like the speed of the drive but when I buy my laptop it'll prob be a 100 GB.

- Making DVD-R? or just need a dvd/cd player? If the latter then just go with an external dvd drive.

Integrated Bluetooth PAN

- Do you have anything that uses Bluetooth Tech?

- How long are you gonna be using your computer away from a table?

- Don't Know what a Depot Upgrade is but the protection is based on the user. I dont think I'll be reckless with my laptop so I dont plan on getting anything beyond the 1 year that comes standard.

- All this can be had for much less then they sell it for, free even :) If you want the office there is a link Syncope put up on a earlier page.

I think the 1.8 processor is alright dont know if its really necessary. Maybe Syncope can chime in if I missed anything.

I picked up an HP Pavilion tx 2000 and I LOVE it...

:love:

Looks like OUCOM is going to "issue" us the following tablet:

GATEWAY E-295C
ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 HD 256MBGraphics (128MB Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory)

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)

160GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM

E-295 Drivers & Applications CD (for Windows Vista)

Cyberlink DVD Solution v5 and Media (for Windows Vista Basic and Business)

Microsoft Experience Pack (for Windows Vista)

Microsoft OneNote 2007 Tablet & Media

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit)

90 Watt AC Adapter

Integrated Intel 3945 802.11a/ b/ g wireless networking

Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module

4 Year Accidental Damage Plan

4 Year One Time Battery Replacement Plan

4 Year.Manufacturers Ltd.Warranty.Tech Support & Parts

Primary 8-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty

Nylon Backpack Carrying Case w/OU-COM Logo

I have to admit I'm a little pissed off about this. We have to pay for it over the first year, which will probably end up costing me around $1600-$1800 bucks. For this much, I would way rather have a mac or what I was originally planning on getting (the HP tx2000, and could have got it loaded for around $1,000).

Looks like OUCOM is going to "issue" us the following tablet:

GATEWAY E-295C
ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 HD 256MBGraphics (128MB Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory)

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)

160GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM

E-295 Drivers & Applications CD (for Windows Vista)

Cyberlink DVD Solution v5 and Media (for Windows Vista Basic and Business)

Microsoft OneNote 2007 Tablet & Media

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit)

90 Watt AC Adapter

Integrated Intel 3945 802.11a/ b/ g wireless networking

Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module

4 Year Accidental Damage Plan

4 Year One Time Battery Replacement Plan

4 Year.Manufacturers Ltd.Warranty.Tech Support & Parts

Primary 8-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty

Nylon Backpack Carrying Case w/OU-COM Logo

I have to admit I'm a little pissed off about this. We have to pay for it over the first year, which will probably end up costing me around $1600-$1800 bucks. For this much, I would way rather have a mac or what I was originally planning on getting (the HP tx2000, and could have got it loaded for around $1,000).
My condolences... I still don't know why schools insist on issuing a computer to students. I wonder what it is about that specific model the school feels that students need. I personally think that the school is getting these computers at a discount and then over charging the students in an effort to subsidize their IT department as if tuition wasn't high enough.

Unless there is something specific about the computers hardware then there is no good reason for schools to say this is what you MUST have. I'm glad that I'm going to a school where they make a recommendation but it is up to the student to purchase their own computer. I would hate to have to work on windows all day long but that's my preference.

That's unfortunate to hear Concubine. I had the same concerns with TCOM's issuing of a chosen tablet regardless of what the student currently had or wanted to purchase.

I honestly wish schools would just post specs and have a suggested machine, like Nova does...although as said earlier, Nova's requirements are bizarrely high for consumer purposes. What exactly are we going to be doing to need that much power?

Anyhow, is this tablet mandatory for OUCOM? Is there someway to opt out of it and just receive the programs from the school?

My condolences... I still don't know why schools insist on issuing a computer to students. I wonder what it is about that specific model the school feels that students need. I personally think that the school is getting these computers at a discount and then over charging the students in an effort to subsidize their IT department as if tuition wasn't high enough.

Unless there is something specific about the computers hardware then there is no good reason for schools to say this is what you MUST have. I'm glad that I'm going to a school where they make a recommendation but it is up to the student to purchase their own computer. I would hate to have to work on windows all day long but that's my preference.

That's unfortunate to hear Concubine. I had the same concerns with TCOM's issuing of a chosen tablet regardless of what the student currently had or wanted to purchase.

I honestly wish schools would just post specs and have a suggested machine, like Nova does...although as said earlier, Nova's requirements are bizarrely high for consumer purposes. What exactly are we going to be doing to need that much power?

Anyhow, is this tablet mandatory for OUCOM? Is there someway to opt out of it and just receive the programs from the school?

I completely sympathize with your plight and I am sorry that you're going to end up with the gateways....Piece of crap IMHO

However, I do understand why a school would want all of their students to have the same notebook.....especially for the schools that are technologically advanced...they completely rely on their notebooks to get through med school......so if something were to go wrong on a students notebook..the IT guys are not fumbling around everywhere trying to find the proper part for that specific laptop...this way they have everything in stock and all their IT guys are "specialized" in gateways...so if something goes wrong the night before an exam, they will be more likely to help you

this is the same "idea" behind everyone working for the same company to have the same laptops

- Just get a 1 GB DDR2 (1 DIMM) and Buy the other 2GB from a third party store.

- Do you think you need this much hardrive space? I like the speed of the drive but when I buy my laptop it'll prob be a 100 GB.

- Making DVD-R? or just need a dvd/cd player? If the latter then just go with an external dvd drive.

Integrated Bluetooth PAN

- Do you have anything that uses Bluetooth Tech?

- How long are you gonna be using your computer away from a table?

- Don't Know what a Depot Upgrade is but the protection is based on the user. I dont think I'll be reckless with my laptop so I dont plan on getting anything beyond the 1 year that comes standard.

- All this can be had for much less then they sell it for, free even :) If you want the office there is a link Syncope put up on a earlier page.

I think the 1.8 processor is alright dont know if its really necessary. Maybe Syncope can chime in if I missed anything.

You're right. The 160GB hard drive, DVD writer, and bluetooth probably aren't necessary. I want my computer to last me 4 years, so I want the 1.8 processor (necessary) and memory. I want my battery to go for at least 2 hours . Buying memory separately will probably only save me ~$40 bucks. Buying Office directly from Microsoft isn't any cheaper ($149). What are other legal ways to get Office for less?

The x61's graphics card is integrated. That sounds pretty bad. I can't even upgrade that, right? I don't expect to play Crysis on my tablet, but I don't want to have problems using Vista, playing movies, and having a bunch of web pages, PPT's, and PDF's open at the same time. Is an integrated graphics card good enough?

I'm not sure, but I'm going to find out. I actually have all the programs I need if they would only let me get a laptop of my choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to best buy today and they said I could buy the x61 from them with XP or with Vista... any suggestions?

The x61's graphics card is integrated. That sounds pretty bad. I can't even upgrade that, right? I don't expect to play Crysis on my tablet, but I don't want to have problems using Vista, playing movies, and having a bunch of web pages, PPT's, and PDF's open at the same time. Is an integrated graphics card good enough?

LOL, you don't need a top notch video card for operating Vista or any of the other plain things that you have mentioned. So yes, unless you are planning to play games like Crysis, the integrated GC is enough.

I think also these concerns are addressed more by your RAM then your video card.

so I'm looking at Dells because an HP or Toshiba with the same features is way more expensive (though that scares me cause theres got to be a reason).

I've done a comparison between the XPS and Inspiron. I plan on doing 4Gb memory and 360 RAM (i think those are right, my dad's the computer guy).

My question: is there anything about the XPS that is so much better than the inspiron? I just dont know why its so much more expensive for the same things.

so, anyone have any idea what notebook DCOM will use?

so I'm looking at Dells because an HP or Toshiba with the same features is way more expensive (though that scares me cause theres got to be a reason).

I've done a comparison between the XPS and Inspiron. I plan on doing 4Gb memory and 360 RAM (i think those are right, my dad's the computer guy).

My question: is there anything about the XPS that is so much better than the inspiron? I just dont know why its so much more expensive for the same things.

the XPS is thinner and lighter, has an LCD display that the inspiron does not (which is better on the battery), different case design and materials (Inspiron is painted silver plastic while XPS has a brushed aluminum up top and different hinge mechanism and case materials), XPS has discrete graphics (its own video card support) while the Inspirons come standard with integrated graphics, some of the available ports, drive options, and USB/memory card options are different.

notebookreview.com does a good comparison on these two:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4135

Anyone know if there is any huge difference between a Lenovo x61 and an hp tx 2000? Any huge differences in qualities, problems, etc?

Just saw this on Fatwallet:

Link

But is this site legit? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . better investigate.

edit: Well, okay, now the deal's dead.. oh well, 735 for a new tablet IS pretty low.

Anyone know if there is any huge difference between a Lenovo x61 and an hp tx 2000? Any huge differences in qualities, problems, etc?

www.tabletpcreview.com

Generally, many people complain that the tx2000 has a grainy screen, runs very hot (inefficient amd processor) and is heavy for a 12" "ultra portable." I have personally held one in circuit city and I agree that considering how small it is, it's way too heavy. What's nice about the HP is that you get a lot of bang for a little buck. Touchscreen and an active digitizer. Good media capability, a pretty package. Battery life is supposed to be not so great (again, inefficient processor).

The x61 is regarded as a very high quality tablet. Benefits include that it is truly ultra portable at under 4 lbs, but you do sacrifice a built in cd/dvd-rw drive. Some say it doesn't matter, but I honestly do not think I could live without one. Think about it: you need to get something off a CD or DVD and you don't have one! It's not like we're talking about ancient technology. Not everyone uses exclusively thumb drives these days. The screen quality and writing are supposed to be excellent on the x61. It is pretty durable (the HP feels a bit flimsy), but people have reported bezel peeling issues. Negatives (at least for me) are that it's not widescreen and I'm just so used to widescreeen that I don't want to have to readjust to standard 4:3 aspect ratio.

Both units come with plenty of bloatware so don't worry about that. I'm currently looking at the gateway series of tablets (now its 142XL). A dedicated video card (the only tablet to offer one), 3gb of ram, a great core 2 duo processor (supposed to be updated to new montevina platform soon) and all for around 1000. Not to mention btw it's a 14" widescreen, again the only tablet to offer 14". Alas, it's heavy as a cow and gateway has far from perfect customer service from what I hear.

No perfect tablet PC exists and you'll have to sacrifice with whichever you choose. Good luck!

Well, I've never played with an x61, but I have a tx2000.

It weighs about 4...maybe 4.5 pounds with battery and CD drive in. To get rid of some weight you can also drop out the CD/DVR drive and use a 4 cell battery insted of the 6 cell one it comes with..I'm willing to bet that with those modifications, it weighs about the same as the x61. I'm currently on hour 3 (give or take) of running on battery (on "balanced" mode) and I'm going to go plug it in right now because i'm at 24 percent. The downside of "balanced" mode is the screen loses some sensitivity.

I haven't had a problem with the screen feeling "Grainy" nor have I noticed it running hot...it's got a AMD Turion 64 x2 dual-Core processor, which (I thought) was supposed to be decently efficient. The problems I've had with it thus far are that the stylius has a bit of a displacement when you're dealing with teh screen. It's a little irkesom.

I haven't really had it long enough to have many other issues, but i'll certainly keep y'all posted if I come across any.

At the moment I'm kind of in love with it. Also, the webcam is pretty nifty!

So, i bought an x61 a coupl eof months ago and received it 1 month ago. I am trying to play with it so that i can get used to it. Its really fun , but It's really slow. How can i fix this?
Also, what should i do to go this ready for medical school?

Any advice would help

So, i bought an x61 a coupl eof months ago and received it 1 month ago. I am trying to play with it so that i can get used to it. Its really fun , but It's really slow. How can i fix this?
Also, what should i do to go this ready for medical school?

Any advice would help

What are the specs on your x61? How much RAM?

I'd suggest doing the clean OS install as posted a couple pages back or so in this thread.

I've got the x61, 4GB RAM, 1.8, and the 160 GB 7200 RPM HDD and it runs very fast; I've also performed the clean install and deleted the hidden partition.

How do i do a clean install and remove the partition? I dont know much about computers. A walk through would be really helpful.

Mine is a 1.8 ghz, 120 gb at 5400 rpm and 1gb of ram. Bought an upgrade to 3 gb, but havent put them in yet.

I got a Fujitsu T4220 Tablet PC through their ebay refurbish store for ~$1120 (including tax and shipping). If anyone is looking into a Fujitsu labtop, definitely check out their refurbish store. The labtop came brand new. Didn't notice any problems.

T4220
2.2ghz
1gb Ram
100gb harddisk

I will put in the ram tonight.
The clean install guidelines that i saw were for windows vista, i got mine with XP tablet. Was this a mistake? can i still do a clean install? if so, how?

Also, i have intel turbo memory, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

thanks nascardoc...so are you guys done with school yet?

ALMOST!!!!!!!!! We have our last lectures on Wednesday and our last exam Friday, the 23rd. It is going to be such a good feeling to have the 1st year done!!!!!!! It's amazing how quickly time flies :D

I have been reading through this thread and found it very helpful as I prepare to purchase a laptop before starting school. I have decided on the Lenovo x61 tablet and just wanted to ask you all whether you recommend XP tablet or Vista. Would someone mind telling me what they think are the positives and negatives of each? I know others have asked this question but I have not seen it explicitly addressed here.

I will put in the ram tonight.
The clean install guidelines that i saw were for windows vista, i got mine with XP tablet. Was this a mistake? can i still do a clean install? if so, how?

Also, i have intel turbo memory, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

turbo memory only works with vista...in xp your OS won't even recognize it

here are the clean install instructions for windows xp http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=188992 (just remember that is not specific to the lenovo's...it really doesnt matter....if you have any questions on what lenovo programs to install once you are done with ure clean install...please do ont hesitate to ask

ALMOST!!!!!!!!! We have our last lectures on Wednesday and our last exam Friday, the 23rd. It is going to be such a good feeling to have the 1st year done!!!!!!! It's amazing how quickly time flies :D

awesome..it must be an amazing feeling! I wish you the best of luck!

I have been reading through this thread and found it very helpful as I prepare to purchase a laptop before starting school. I have decided on the Lenovo x61 tablet and just wanted to ask you all whether you recommend XP tablet or Vista. Would someone mind telling me what they think are the positives and negatives of each? I know others have asked this question but I have not seen it explicitly addressed here.

I honestly would pick vista...but everyone as their gripes on either OS

here's a good article exlplaning the differences. I would stay away from individual user opinions on this one...you're better off reading actual computer reviews on it

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/17/12TC-vista-versus-xp_1.html

vista all the way for me!

Thanks so much for your replies. Should I purchase the Microsoft office with the deal posted previously? Should I get OneNote 2007 preloaded or is there another place to get this for a better deal? Which wireless card would you recommend between the ThinkPad 11 a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ and the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)?

Thanks for all of your help. I am not the best with computers and I want to make sure I will be all set for school.

I just read the link you posted, Syncope82. It seems to say that Vista is 40% slower than XP. Is this true even with the new hardware on the x61 tablet and after the clean install is performed? From this review, it seems to me that there are not many clear benefits to Vista over XP. Why do you guys prefer it? Also, does the Intel Turbo Memory come with this tablet automatically?

I hope to buy this today, so any thoughts would be much appreciated. For those of you who have bought directly from Lenovo, how long did it take for the computer to ship and arrive?

I just read the link you posted, Syncope82. It seems to say that Vista is 40% slower than XP. Is this true even with the new hardware on the x61 tablet and after the clean install is performed? From this review, it seems to me that there are not many clear benefits to Vista over XP. Why do you guys prefer it? Also, does the Intel Turbo Memory come with this tablet automatically?

I hope to buy this today, so any thoughts would be much appreciated. For those of you who have bought directly from Lenovo, how long did it take for the computer to ship and arrive?

XP is faster than Vista and DOS is a helluva lot faster than XP. Yet I prefer XP to DOS and Vista to XP. With 3GB RAM and the Turbo Memory installed, I have had zero performance issues in Vista. Programs are responsive and I don't spend any time waiting around for my OS to catch up.

Turbo memory did not come automatically.

I waiting 2 weeks for my tablet purchased from Lenovo.

Thanks so much for your replies. Should I purchase the Microsoft office with the deal posted previously? Should I get OneNote 2007 preloaded or is there another place to get this for a better deal? Which wireless card would you recommend between the ThinkPad 11 a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ and the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)?

Thanks for all of your help. I am not the best with computers and I want to make sure I will be all set for school.

Onenote comes with mostly all of the MS office packages...it is a must for a tablet

Yes..XP is faster...but with proper hardware, you will realize vista is much better...people say use minimum 2gb of ram..but I say use the full 3gb for 32 bit and full 4gb for 64 bit...turbo memory is very subjective..some thinks it helps..some thinks it doesn't..and some think it even slows your computer down more

So I landed on the HP tx2120us. I'm bummed cause I already have a critical error message and my machine shuts down. 3 days old. Is likely a hardware issue? Something I could fix

So I landed on the HP tx2120us. I'm bummed cause I already have a critical error message and my machine shuts down. 3 days old. Is likely a hardware issue? Something I could fix

could be hardware, but most probably driver related (which is software)....what type of error message? try to write down all of the numbers or error number if listed

could be hardware, but most probably driver related (which is software)....what type of error message? try to write down all of the numbers or error number if listed

In startup it said 'windows has encountered a critical and needs to shut down'...then it shuts down and tries to restart. :thumbdown:I will look into it further tonight, but I was so pissed off last night I had to walk away. :mad: I have a message pending with HP support and got the tip to try and get to the restore screen and recover the machine...

I put my money on a driver stack.

If it's only three days old, just re-blast it with your recovery disc and apply any changes/upgrades that HP recommends.

***Edit: I didn't see that you were already informed to reblast by HP. :D

I set up my Lenovo tablet over the weekend and I am totally psyched. I am playing with it to learn OneNote.

It came about 2 weeks after I ordered it online direct from Lenovo.

Thanks for all the info from this thread.

I put my money on a driver stack.

If it's only three days old, just re-blast it with your recovery disc and apply any changes/upgrades that HP recommends.

***Edit: I didn't see that you were already informed to reblast by HP. :D

I just decided to head back to the store where I purchased it and even exchanged it for a new machine. No problems now!:thumbup: