What NOT to do if you want to attend medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a public service announcement to all incoming freshman pre-meds.

There are some things you can do that will destroy your chances of getting into medical school. Consider this list WHAT NOT TO DO:

Do not copy from someone else's paper.

Do not let others copy from your paper.

Do not change an answer on an test, exam or quiz and submit it for regrading.

Do not share lab reports or lab notes with others.

Do not share old tests with others.

Do not collaborate on lab reports, term papers, or take home exams, unless you have something in writing from your instructor stating that this is permitted.

Do not use unauthorized material in completing homework assignments or take home exams. Don't obtain teacher's or desk copies of textbooks. Don't use Google for help with problem sets or to find problems and solutions.

Cite any material you use in a term paper. This means putting material from other sources in quotation marks with a citation indicating the source of the material. If you use an idea but not the exact words, cite the source of the idea. If you don't know how to cite material, ask your professor for help in learning this valuable skill.

Do not sell or give your prescription medication to anyone else. Do not use prescription medications that have been prescribed for someone else. In particular, do not use medications for ADHD that were not prescribed for you by a licensed physician.

This is not an exhaustive list but these are some examples of situations that can get you accused of academic dishonesty. If the institution finds that you have engaged in academic dishonesty, even if it was not to your benefit (e.g. you were doing very well but shared material with someone else) you will have a black mark on your record and your dreams of going to medical school will be OVER.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45 users
This is actually a good idea for every student, not just pre-meds. I am not a science major, so most of my classmates are not pre-med, but I know of many classmates who have gotten in trouble for some of the above reasons, and it has caused many problems for them. Regardless of your future plans, do not do any of the above.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not change a grade on an test, exam or quiz and submit it for regrading.

Someone at my school changed an answer in an exam and submitted it for a regrade. Little did they know, the professor scanned every single test before handing it back to the class. Needless to say, that person went to the honor council and lost. Lesson: Don't try to be slick

Reactions: 7 users
Moderators, please sticky LizzyM's outstanding post!

Do not give your clicker to someone else to use.
Do not use someone else's clicker.

Pre-meds: always take a hit to your grades, withdraw, whatever, but avoid getting an IA on your transcript. GPAs can be repaired. IAs for cheating/dishonest conduct cannot.

Reactions: 17 users
If s/he doesn't say "yes" -- that means "no"

Reactions: 31 users
Do not share old tests with others.
@Ace Khalifa where you at bro?

Don't obtain teacher's or desk copies of textbooks.
Can you actually get an IA for this? I know these exist readily available online, and to my knowledge none of my syllabi have ever mentioned teacher's editions of texts under the academic honesty policy.

Reactions: 1 user
Moderators, please sticky LizzyM's outstanding post!

Do not give your clicker to someone else to use.
Do not use someone else's clicker.

Pre-meds: always take a hit to your grades, withdraw, whatever, but avoid getting an IA on your transcript. GPAs can be repaired. IAs for cheating/dishonest conduct cannot.
Even if I need to go to the potty?
Do not have someone else sign you in for attendance.

Reactions: 5 users
Basically rule out sharing is caring. Got it. ;)
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get caught* :)

Actually read things like honor codes, dorm rules. Don't ruin your medical career because your roommate gets busted with pot in a shared space.

Actually read things like honor codes, dorm rules. Don't ruin your medical career because your roommate gets busted with pot in a shared space.
Ah, the wonders of ultra-uptight schools that force you to either report your roomie or risk your MD odds over the beers in their fridge

Reactions: 9 users
A kid in one of the classes I TA'd for got her calculus exam back, on which she had gotten a 64%. She took the exam home, opened up a Word document, and typed up a new copy of the test. She printed out the blank exam, and then filled in all the correct solutions, except for a few deliberate mistakes to make it look genuine. She even went so far as to use a red pen and add in some grader's comments. She then took the exam back to the professor and told him that he had made a mistake, he accidentally entered 64% on Blackboard when "really" she had gotten a 98%. Of course they recognized what she'd done right away, as the grader's comments were in her own handwriting, and she had a history of cheating (it was her second time taking the class).

So yeah. Don't do that.

Reactions: 33 users
A kid in one of the classes I TA'd for got her calculus exam back, on which she had gotten a 64%. She took the exam home, opened up a Word document, and typed up a new copy of the test. She printed out the blank exam, and then filled in all the correct solutions, except for a few deliberate mistakes to make it look genuine. She even went so far as to use a red pen and add in some grader's comments. She then took the exam back to the professor and told him that he had made a mistake, he accidentally entered 64% on Blackboard when "really" she had gotten a 98%. Of course they recognized what she'd done right away, as the grader's comments were in her own handwriting, and she had a history of cheating (it was her second time taking the class).

So yeah. Don't do that.
This isn't her first time cheating, so did she get kicked out?

This isn't her first time cheating, so did she get kicked out?

If I remember correctly, she was given an F in the class but not expelled (she should have been, in my opinion). I think she retook the class for the third time the next semester and finally got a passing grade.

So yeah. Don't do that.

Wow. I can't wrap my head around how somebody decides to try this (or any cheating, for that matter.)

Don't let friends with marijuana (or any other drugs for that matter) into your car if it isn't legal in your state. You will often get charged with possession even if the drugs aren't yours, and that's a tough misdemeanor to explain without coming off like you've either got terrible decision making skills or are trying to make excuses.

Reactions: 11 users
Don't let friends with marijuana (or any other drugs for that matter) into your car if it isn't legal in your state. You will often get charged with possession even if the drugs aren't yours
Also, if there is any marijuana located in your shared living space, don't keep a small scale, as it implies an intention to distribute, and results in more serious legal issues.

Are college students even aware that the scantron readers keep a record of the filled in spaces, so that if one changes the scantron card after the fact, it's immediately aware that one has cheated?

Are college students even aware that the scantron readers keep a record of the filled in spaces, so that if one changes the scantron card after the fact, it's immediately aware that one has cheated?

Who uses scantron in college?

Maybe this is a bit extreme, but I have not sent any nude pics of myself since I decided on medicine. Just something else some of you may want to keep in mind. IMO it's just not a good idea if you're hoping to be a physician one day, though maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps my policy is a bit overboard.

Reactions: 10 users
That's not a deal breaker. Neither is under age drinking, having booze in your dorm room, or getting caught pissing in an alley [Edit: except in states where public urination is considered a sex crime. In those states, don't go out drinking without a Texas catheter and a leg bag. This may preclude you from getting laid which can also keep you out of trouble.]

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Who uses scantron in college?

Who doesn't use scantron in college? Almost all of my exams outside of physics, calc, and ochem have been scantron.

Reactions: 1 users
Tbh I've done and witnessed -numerous times- at least half the things on that list... and to say that I considered myself a model student. Oops.

Maybe this is a bit extreme, but I have not sent any nude pics of myself since I decided on medicine. Just something else some of you may want to keep in mind. IMO it's just not a good idea if you're hoping to be a physician one day, though maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps my policy is a bit overboard.
No nude photos...with my face ;)

Reactions: 12 users
That's not a deal breaker. Neither is under age drinking, having booze in your dorm room, or getting caught pissing in an alley.
Unless you're in one of those states where it lands you on the sex offender registry. Then you're pretty much screwed for life.
JURIS_140812_public_urination_map.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

Reactions: 9 users
I used scan tron on >75% of my exams in college. Basically everything except math classes.

I've used scantron sheets in every one of my classes so far

Who doesn't use scantron in college? Almost all of my exams outside of physics, calc, and ochem have been scantron.

I've had the occasional ones. My bio class used them, for instance.

Interesting. I think I had maybe a single scantron test throughout all of college. Different experiences I guess

But if you have them, then don't cheat on them ;)

I only had scantrons in general chemistry. Some classes, it's like not even possible to use scantrons. Orgo comes to mind.

Your Ivy League is showing.
Oops *zip*

The intro classes here are generally scantron, except for the honors sections. But yah nothing is scantron here in upper division.

Interesting. Yeah, looking back through my class list, I had one class that used scantron and it was the introductory neuroscience class I complain about on here occasionally.

Oops *zip*

Interesting. Yeah, looking back through my class list, I had one class that used scantron and it was the introductory neuroscience class I complain about on here occasionally.
Neuro science best science

Readily available is one thing, having to pay for them is something else. I have seen people get rejected for forging a professor's name or setting up a fake faculty email account in order to get a free desk copy.

Can you actually get an IA for this? I know these exist readily available online, and to my knowledge none of my syllabi have ever mentioned teacher's editions of texts under the academic honesty policy.

1. Don't have sex with someone who is drunk or high.

2. The following is general advice for your protection: Never accept an open drink of any kind ( including soft drinks ) from someone you don't trust with your life. You might wake up robbed or raped or both. Get your own drinks. Don't let anyone get a drink for you. This applies to both men and women, especially on campus, in bars, or when traveling. This is more common than you might think.

Reactions: 4 users
Readily available is one thing, having to pay for them is something else. I have seen people get rejected for forging a professor's name or setting up a fake faculty email account in order to get a free desk copy.
I imagine the forgery and impersonation is the dealbreaker there...when I say readily available I mean I can find it on a torrent site in about two seconds. Certainly illegal/copyright infringement to get possession this way, but if my buddy gives me a pdf of the full homework solutions instead of just odds, have I now committed academic dishonesty/cheating?