What order should I do my MD/DO application? (Question is not as dumb as it sounds-open me!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeys4Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess what I am basically asking is what order should I do everything so that my entire application can be complete the soonest without any area suffering. What can be done while other things are processing? Some stuff can be submitted after. This is essentially what I am asking about.

Okay so I have most of the information filled out. I've contacted all letter writers. I have a first draft PS (this is biggest focus right now as it definitely needs work and tons of reviewing).

My question is what order should I do everything in to MAXIMIZE competitiveness when taking into count PROCESSING TIMES and delays?

I think i should do the core application and perfect my PS and submit without worrying too much about LOR right now. I have already spoken with all except one but I have a few extra letters just in case.

Even if I submit the complete application, it will still take some time to process. Thus, I could focus on LORs during this period (but that's not to say its completely out of my mind right now). My point in doing this is so that I have a good personal statement to send to letter writers so that they better understand me and see that my writing skills are not rubbish.

This question may have a simple answer or it might not.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Edit & submit that PS as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more processing time takes. That's not to scare you, but in terms of time tables, I'd get that done first.

2. I'm confused about your LORs. You say you have extra letters, do you mean you've just asked extra people and they're all waiting for your PS? Have they all asked for your PS, or did you tell them you were going to give it to them? Even if you think your PS isn't perfect, can you simply give them a rough draft of it? That way you could send them a rough draft of your PS while also finalizing it for the application. It took my professors anywhere from two days to four months get their letters in.

Unless you have good reason to think your professors think your writing skills are rubbish, I don't get why you'd want to spend weeks perfecting a PS just to get LORs. It'll only hold your application up overall. Another way to think of this - they already said yes (presumably). They aren't going to be turned off if you don't write like Shakespeare.

1. Edit & submit that PS as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more processing time takes. That's not to scare you, but in terms of time tables, I'd get that done first.

2. I'm confused about your LORs. You say you have extra letters, do you mean you've just asked extra people and they're all waiting for your PS? Have they all asked for your PS, or did you tell them you were going to give it to them? Even if you think your PS isn't perfect, can you simply give them a rough draft of it? That way you could send them a rough draft of your PS while also finalizing it for the application. It took my professors anywhere from two days to four months get their letters in.

Unless you have good reason to think your professors think your writing skills are rubbish, I don't get why you'd want to spend weeks perfecting a PS just to get LORs. It'll only hold your application up overall. Another way to think of this - they already said yes (presumably). They aren't going to be turned off if you don't write like Shakespeare.

Yeah, trying to get it done asap. Extra letters as in I asked a few people that aren't my primary letter writers. Going to have everyone submit to interfolio and pick four (should i do more than four?)

One writer specifically asked for it. I actually am very confident his letter will be good as this was my favorite professor and i met with him a lot. He also asked for anything relevant to writing the LOR.
Another asked for "all application materials."
Another asked for me to tell him about my achievements and performance during college and high school. Did NOT specifically say PS but I kind of assumed it would be very helpful and assist him in getting to know me better. He is my research boss but I do not see him terribly often. Nevertheless, his important is absolutely detrimental to my application and should carry tremendous weight. Pretty cool guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do however many letters & back-up writers as you'd like. I believe most DO schools only require 2 science and 1 DO/MD. Depends on which school if it's DO or MD. A few require a humanities letter too, so you're looking at four letters total.

Again, can you simply hand them a rough draft of your PS? Unless you have good reason to think your professors think your writing skills are rubbish, I don't get why you'd want to spend weeks perfecting a PS just to get LORs. LORs can take months, especially if the professors already have others who asked for LORs in advance. LORs are generally what cause stress & lag applications, not the PS or secondaries.

EDIT: It looks like no one asked for the PS, specifically. My professors also said "application materials," but when I asked if they wanted my PS, they said they meant a resume & CV letter. You'll have to figure this one out for yourself.

Last edited:
Do however many letters & back-up writers as you'd like. I believe most DO schools only require 2 science and 1 DO/MD. Depends on which school if it's DO or MD. A few require a humanities letter too, so you're looking at four letters total.

Again, can you simply hand them a rough draft of your PS? Unless you have good reason to think your professors think your writing skills are rubbish, I don't get why you'd want to spend weeks perfecting a PS just to get LORs. LORs can take months, especially if the professors already have others who asked for LORs in advance. LORs are generally what cause stress & lag applications, not the PS or secondaries.

EDIT: It looks like no one asked for the PS, specifically. My professors also said "application materials," but when I asked if they wanted my PS, they said they meant a resume & CV letter. You'll have to figure this one out for yourself.

Sorry, I didn't mean I would spend weeks or wait until i had my final draft. I just am not happy with my ps right now and want to have a draft that at least emphasizes the crucial points in it first. I am hoping to have it done within the next few days.

My writing just feels rusty since Ive been out of school for a bit. I never really worried about writing my ps (not why i started late) but im having more trouble than i expected in mutting thoughts into words.

Yes, only ONE specficially asked for it. The others asked for "all materials" and basically cv/resume respectively. Still not sure what to do here if i don't wait for a better drafted ps.