What to do/read, summer before beginning Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have any good recommendation on what books to read the summer before starting medical school? (you know, to be prepared, etc.)

Or, any resource book(s) that you've found useful to buy for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reading the complete tales of Sherlock Holmes, and it's bangin'.

In general most of the advice I've got on this is not to go crazy "preparing" during the summer before. Just try to enjoy the fact that you now have a degree of free time and relaxation that will not be experienced again for some time. Read something you enjoy. Or play video games.

I've been having deja vu like crazy lately. Is it just me??

Members don't see this ad :)
I just prestiged for my 6th time in Black Ops and was disappointed in the map pack that I shelled out 15 bucks for.

I read Flowers for Algernon, A Day in the Frontal Lobe, Better, Odd Gril Out, Gargoyle, Why do Men Have nipples?: A 100 questions you'd only ask your doctor after your third martini, and a few other books.

From other similar threads the consensus from other students is enjoy life and dont worry about studying because there will be plenty of it tomorrow.

Seeing as how 80% of pre-meds give up getting laid for their school work and resume building, might i suggest to most people on here to find a partner of the opposite sex, consume large amounts of delicious liquor, and get jiggy all while learning the human anatomy. That way you can kill two birds with one stone !

Easy C: man you got me all disappointed I was gonna buy that map pack as soon as i returned from traveling haha

Whatever you do, make sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with medical school. Enjoy the last bit of free time you have before taking the plunge into four years of hell. Quit your job, do some travelling, sleep in every day, and just have fun. You'll have more than enough time to study and still get A's if you wait until the first day of classes to start. Everybody I know that "prepared" over the summer said it was pretty much worthless and that they really regretted not spending their time in a more enjoyable way.

whatever you do, make sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with medical school. Enjoy the last bit of free time you have before taking the plunge into four years of hell. Quit your job, do some travelling, sleep in every day, and just have fun. You'll have more than enough time to study and still get a's if you wait until the first day of classes to start. Everybody i know that "prepared" over the summer said it was pretty much worthless and that they really regretted not spending their time in a more enjoyable way.

+1

Easy C: man you got me all disappointed I was gonna buy that map pack as soon as i returned from traveling haha

Even though I was disappointed in the map pack its worth the buy. You have to keep in mind the learning curve that comes with an unfamiliar map but stay away from Stadium, its Nuketown redone.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I've been reading textbooks (wrapping up undergrad), as well as an interesting book that I found through SDN's weekly highlight at the top of the page.

It's called, "overdiagnosed, making people sick in the pursuit of health"

A lot of it makes a lot of sense, and a lot of it makes me leery.

Either way, the author (a physician/professor at Dartmouth) makes an interesting case against excessive health screening and agressive treatment of borderline health problems.

I recommend it.

I've been reviewing medical biochem and messing with an anatomy program that I really like.
http://www.visiblebody.com

I dont mean to call you out....but really man? Your last bit of freedom before med and you are reviewing biochem and anatomy? Not only will that not give you much of a leg up, but that kind of thinking is typical pre-med BS

Time to graduate from rookie mentality and change your thinking:p

Go the beach and hit on some women. Go watch a sports game. Heck read a normal book if your into that.

God I hope med school doesnt have too many people in the keener premed mind set

I agree - enjoy your free time now. As I recall from dental school - there will be plenty of study time.

I am planning on spending most of this summer reading, running, and lounging at the beach (I start med school in August). So that I don't feel like a complete waste of life, I bought the anatomy and physiology coloring books and I plan to volunteer a couple days a week at the hospital in my town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell the only thing I would ever even consider would be to somehow try to figure out what your learning style is so you can hit the ground knowing what works for you. But I never did that and I never had a problem. Summer before m1 was filled with a lot of chillin with my dogs, planting various types of veggies in my garden, and plenty of etoh.

Seeing as how 80% of pre-meds give up getting laid for their school work and resume building, might i suggest to most people on here to find a partner of the opposite sex, consume large amounts of delicious liquor, and get jiggy all while learning the human anatomy. That way you can kill two birds with one stone !

:idea: anyone ever tell you you're a genius

Woah, this is the first time checking back on my own thread I had neglected.

Good stuffs. I am currently reading The House of God/Final Exam and looking for anatomy book/memorizing strategies since I really suck at memorizing :(

I feel keeping myself intellectually stimulated is much more fun than watching paint grow and grass dry! :scared:

I'm working now but I am quitting my job at the end of June and heading off to England for a month to be with my girlfriend and unwind before school. She''ll have work to do on her PhD while I'm there so while she's doing that during the day I'll explore, read over some biochem (I haven't even seen the topic in 4 years) and get back in the habit of reading something academic.

I'll also be spending a long weekend in Paris and either the south of France or Rome. Maybe spend some free time between now and then learning some basic French or Italian; although thats probably unlikely.

Other than that I'll be playing video games and relaxing, hitting the beach, surfing, some things I won't be able to do once I'm landlocked in Arizona.

oatmeal-book.jpg

This is all the prep you need

I'm working now but I am quitting my job at the end of June and heading off to England for a month to be with my girlfriend and unwind before school. She''ll have work to do on her PhD while I'm there so while she's doing that during the day I'll explore, read over some biochem (I haven't even seen the topic in 4 years) and get back in the habit of reading something academic.

I'll also be spending a long weekend in Paris and either the south of France or Rome. Maybe spend some free time between now and then learning some basic French or Italian; although thats probably unlikely.

Other than that I'll be playing video games and relaxing, hitting the beach, surfing, some things I won't be able to do once I'm landlocked in Arizona.

Haha, yeah. I am going to miss socal weather and (not-so-much) beach. into the oven we go!

Haha, yeah. I am going to miss socal weather and (not-so-much) beach. into the oven we go!

Im stoked to be MOVING there! I love socal (gonna have to get used to calling it that, haha im used to just saying Cali and only recently heard of the North Vs South Cali thing)

What are your favorite beaches? Ive only been to Huntington really, but it was awesome. Also wheres a good place to surf?

What are your favorite beaches? Ive only been to Huntington really, but it was awesome. Also wheres a good place to surf?

Alot of the southern california beaches can be territorial if you aren't a local or aren't up to the skill level. I surf Salt Creek in Dana Point and have since before high school so thats my favorite spot.

Huntington can get territorial on occassion depending on the crowd. Anywhere from San Celemnte down to San Onofre has a ton of great spots if you are willing to walk. There really isn't any parking unless you can get onto camp pendleton between the two. Generally I'll park at San O and walk north or park near the Carls Jr and walk to Trestles. Further north I generally go to El Porto, although the water can be dirty there because it sits basically at the end of the runway of the airport.

Dan, I am so hoping I get to do something like this when I get in!!!

Dan, I am so hoping I get to do something like this when I get in!!!

Ya I'm kinda lucky/unlucky in that it sucks being in a long distance relationship but other than the plane ticket I have virtually no cost in heading to England for extended periods of time. I actually just got back on Monday from 10 days there. I'd trade that in a heartbeat for my girlfriend to be back here getting her PhD instead, but that is beside the point.

Ya I'm kinda lucky/unlucky in that it sucks being in a long distance relationship but other than the plane ticket I have virtually no cost in heading to England for extended periods of time. I actually just got back on Monday from 10 days there. I'd trade that in a heartbeat for my girlfriend to be back here getting her PhD instead, but that is beside the point.

If it's any consolation, my husband lives in Denver... I live in MN... :( Not as far, but I still don't see him everyday... Totally sucks...

Watch all seasons of House, Scrubs, ER, etc.

Gotta get inspired!