What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToBeDr.IndecisiveGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping someone has answers for me, and can at least help.

Last month due to some unfortunate things, I was hospitalized for many weeks... I missed a lot of exams and quizzes, and my counselor advised me to request for a Voluntary Health Withdrawal. Well that got approved. I'm currently in the recovery process and my doctor told me that the healing process is going to take a while. Longer than anticipated.

However, I am only 12 credits short from graduating. I was suppose to graduate December 2018, but due to the unfortunate event I couldn't. I plan on applying to medical school Summer 2018, but I don't think I can?

My health withdrawal is going to be for an entire year, meaning Fall 2017 and Spring 2018. My transcript will say HEALTH WITHDRAWL for the two semesters I'm taking off to recovery. I would not be able to graduate or take courses until Summer 2018 or Fall 2018. With that said, would a year off of school and not being able to take courses due to my medical issues, be a red flag for MS admissions? Would medical school admissions be hesitant to accept me because I have a gap year before graduating even though it was for medical reasons? I would be considered a nontraditional student.

I have a really good MCAT score (524). My GPA is quite mediocre, not fantastic but a 3.4 both science and UG.

-THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm hoping someone has answers for me, and can at least help.

Last month due to some unfortunate things, I was in the ER for many weeks... I missed a lot of exams and quizzes, and my counselor advised me to request for a Voluntary Health Withdrawal. Well that go approved. I'm currently in the recovery process and my doctor told me that the healing process is going to take a while. Longer than anticipated. However, I am only 12 credits short from graduating. I was suppose to graduate December 2018, but due the unfortunate event I couldn't. I plan on applying to medical school Summer 2018, but I don't think I can? my health withdrawal is going to be for an entire year, meaning Fall 2017 and Spring 2018, my transcript will say HEALTH WITHDRAWL, I would not be able to graduate or take courses until Summer 2018 or Fall 2018. With that said, would that year gap right before graduation ruin my chances of getting accepted to medical school. I have a really good MCAT score (524). My GPA is quite mediocre, not fantastic but a 3.4 both science and UG.

-THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

I think if you have one term left you'll be fine to apply in 2018. If anything, use this to upgrade your personal statement. You've had the opportunity to see the world of healthcare from a vantage point we professionals often forget...as a patient. Make sure you apply early, and update as soon as your last term grades are available (In theory, providing you would achieve the same marks either way, I imagine that summer would probably be better than fall). In the meantime, take care of yourself. In the spring, work on your application and buy the MSAR. See where you stack up well against the average applicant (almost everywhere...524's do not grow on trees). Throw a post out before AMCAS opens, tagging the known adcom members of this site with your list and take note of their suggestions. I hope your convalescence goes smoothly. Good luck!

I think if you have one term left you'll be fine to apply in 2018. If anything, use this to upgrade your personal statement. You've had the opportunity to see the world of healthcare from a vantage point we professionals often forget...as a patient. Make sure you apply early, and update as soon as your last term grades are available (In theory, providing you would achieve the same marks either way, I imagine that summer would probably be better than fall). In the meantime, take care of yourself. In the spring, work on your application and buy the MSAR. See where you stack up well against the average applicant (almost everywhere...524's do not grow on trees). Throw a post out before AMCAS opens, tagging the known adcom members of this site with your list and take note of their suggestions. I hope your convalescence goes smoothly. Good luck!

Thank you!! Yes, I will be taking the semester to prepare my application. My main issue was having a gap year before graduating. My old advisor, who was very rude, told me to pick another career, because no MS would accept someone who took a year off school. Clearly he was not okay in the head, because I was not taking a gap year on purpose, I needed to take it. I wish I had another choice, but my health is important.

I really do not want the MS admissions to be hesitant on accepting an applicant who did not attend college for a year. I hope this wouldn't be a reason they would not give me a spot. I hope they can oversee it and see that I'm capable of doing well in MS, not only from my MCAT but also from my character, of not giving up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I really do not want the MS admissions to be hesitant on accepting an applicant who did not attend college for a year. I hope this wouldn't be a reason they would not give me a spot. I hope they can oversee it and see that I'm capable of doing well in MS, not only from my MCAT but also from my character, of not giving up
Med schools will ask if you had any breaks in your education. All you need to do is explain your situation and they will look past it. I understand that life has been extremely stressful for you, but you have to take a breath and realize AdComs aren't vengeful, uncaring robots. If anything, upon hearing your condition, they will be the most understanding.

The gap year during undergrad won't be a problem (I took two years off after my freshman year for missionary service). Don't worry about this holding you back.

I would be considered a nontraditional student.
Is there something else that makes you a non-traditional student? A single gap year won't make you one. And no, this is not a red flag.

Reactions: 1 users
Being a non-trad is not a red flag. If you have a gap year and a good reason for it, you’re solid. In fact, it sets you out a little from the pack, having a serious health issue that you came back from and successfully completed school. Your advisor is an idiot. More and more people are taking gap years.

Being a non-trad is not a red flag. If you have a gap year and a good reason for it, you’re solid. In fact, it sets you out a little from the pack, having a serious health issue that you came back from and successfully completed school. Your advisor is an idiot. More and more people are taking gap years.

Med schools will ask if you had any breaks in your education. All you need to do is explain your situation and they will look past it. I understand that life has been extremely stressful for you, but you have to take a breath and realize AdComs aren't vengeful, uncaring robots. If anything, upon hearing your condition, they will be the most understanding.

Thank you for the extra boost of confidence. I always assumed advisors are there to help a student succeed and not watch them fail, but I guess I was wrong with my advisor. The worse part about it was when I tried to explain why I'm taking the year gap, the advisor never cared, as if advisor x had no sympathy whatsoever. If it was in my hands, I would have just proceeded with graduating, but unfortunate circumstance come when you least expect it. And I hope to write all about it in my PS, to prove that w/ all the unfortunate circumstance, I still managed to complete my education and not give up on pursuing medicine.

The gap year during undergrad won't be a problem (I took two years off after my freshman year for missionary service). Don't worry about this holding you back.

Is there something else that makes you a non-traditional student? A single gap year won't make you one. And no, this is not a red flag.

I also changed my major sophomore/junior year. From Law to Biology. I felt more passionate having a role to help patients instead of being stuck in courtrooms everyday. I believe that would also make me non-traditional.

I also changed my major sophomore/junior year. From Law to Biology. I felt more passionate having a role to help patients instead of being stuck in courtrooms everyday. I believe that would also make me non-traditional.
Nope. Try again.

It doesn't. Boatloads of applicants have changed their majors, many of them just as drastically as you. Non-traditional would be went to law school, practiced for five years, decided doctors have more fun.

If your degree was in a non-science major that would make you non-trad.

If your degree was in a non-science major that would make you non-trad.

Nope. Non-traditional to adcoms means that you did something other than the typical "go to college, complete pre-reqs, apply to medical school" route. Being employed for several years in another field and then doing pre-reqs is the typical "non-trad". Getting a PhD and then applying is "non-trad". Taking a gap year used to be considered non-traditional but now it is the norm. I'd say that being out of school 3 years is pretty much the minimum now for "non-trad". Also, being over 25 when graduating college might be non-trad.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope. Non-traditional to adcoms means that you did something other than the typical "go to college, complete pre-reqs, apply to medical school" route. Being employed for several years in another field and then doing pre-reqs is the typical "non-trad". Getting a PhD and then applying is "non-trad". Taking a gap year used to be considered non-traditional but now it is the norm. I'd say that being out of school 3 years is pretty much the minimum now for "non-trad". Also, being over 25 when graduating college might be non-trad.
Thanks for the clarification. I've been working with some of our interviewers and they refer to non-science grads as non-trads. But many of ours come through post-baccs or our MBS program.

Definitely doesn’t. As the wise LizzyM said, it’s not about your major. It’s about your path from HS to college to med school.
Thanks for doubling down. Totally missed the post right above that quoted me.

Thanks for the clarification. I've been working with some of our interviewers and they refer to non-science grads as non-trads. But many of ours come through post-baccs or our MBS program.

Thanks for doubling down. Totally missed the post right above that quoted me.

Thanks for the unnecessary snark. Just what I’ve come to expect from most users on SDN.

Nope. Try again.
It doesn't. Boatloads of applicants have changed their majors, many of them just as drastically as you. Non-traditional would be went to law school, practiced for five years, decided doctors have more fun.
Definitely doesn’t. As the wise LizzyM said, it’s not about your major. It’s about your path from HS to college to med school.

I already have a B.B.A, but I never took several years off with it, only the summer. I worked for a month and did not like the field I was in at all, so I decided to re-enroll the fall semester as a pre-law major. But during my sophomore/junior year I knew I was passionate about something else. After shadowing a couple doctors, it made me realize, that medicine was the right career path for me and so I changed my major. This would be my second bachelor. So would I be considered a nontraditional or still no ? I'm also 23.

I already have a B.B.A, but I never took several years off with it, only the summer. I worked for a month and did not like the field I was in at all, so I decided to re-enroll the fall semester as a pre-law major. But during my sophomore/junior year I knew I was passionate about something else. After shadowing a couple doctors, it made me realize, that medicine was the right career path for me and so I changed my major. This would be my second bachelor. So would I be considered a nontraditional or still no ? I'm also 23.
Still no. I took two years off in the middle of undergrad for missionary service, then worked as a molecular biologist for a year after undergrad, and applied at age 24, and I'd still be considered traditional.

You could technically be a nontrad with two degrees, I suppose, even though you're a little young for a nontrad. I have three degrees, and I worked in my current field for three years before deciding to go back for my premed requirements. Nothing wrong with being a nontrad - we're just more mature and more secure in what we want than those with fewer life experiences than us. :D

Thanks for the unnecessary snark. Just what I’ve come to expect from most users on SDN.
Your post was unnecessary and superfluous. You repeated exactly what LizzyM said twenty minutes earlier. I'm fine with being corrected, but I don't need the redundancy. These types of posts are to me just what I've come to expect from many SDN users.