Whats the best SMP for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonisAndersson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im applying to SMPs but found only 3 to 4 programs that are a good match for me. I sadly have a 2.9 gpa and a 500 mcat, but Im going ahead and applying to programs. Has anyone with stats similar to mine applied to SMPs and got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone with stats similar to mine applied to SMPs and got accepted?

Plenty of people but you'll likely want to retake your MCAT at some point. You could also look into the SMPs at DO schools.

Plenty of people but you'll likely want to retake your MCAT at some point. You could also look into the SMPs at DO schools.
Those are the ones im primarily looking at. I am not applying to any MD SMPs. Do you know which ones fit someone with my stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really familiar with DO SMPs but perhaps @Goro can advise.
Right off the top of my head
Touro-Ny
TUNCOM
PCOM
Westerm
KCU
Touro-CA
KCOM
LECOM
CCOM
AZCOM

Doo a google search "XCOM masters of biomedical science" and see what pops up.

They're all the same, pretty much. Avoid any two year programs and focus on ones with guaranteed interviews if you maintain a certain GPA. I think LECOm is the only one that guarantees admission with a certain GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Right off the top of my head
Touro-Ny
TUNCOM
PCOM
Westerm
KCU
Touro-CA
KCOM
LECOM
CCOM
AZCOM

Doo a google search "XCOM masters of biomedical science" and see what pops up.

They're all the same, pretty much. Avoid any two year programs and focus on ones with guaranteed interviews if you maintain a certain GPA. I think LECOm is the only one that guarantees admission with a certain GPA.
thanks man, was a big help

Rutgers has two (a separate one for each of its medical schools). The one at UMDNJ seems to be a bit better and guarantees an interview if you maintain a 3.6 and cut off MCAT. Just be sure you want to go to Rutgers because other then a very short list of schools that like students from that program, I don't think their SMP helps you get in anywhere else.

Rutgers has two (a separate one for each of its medical schools). The one at UMDNJ seems to be a bit better and guarantees an interview if you maintain a 3.6 and cut off MCAT. Just be sure you want to go to Rutgers because other then a very short list of schools that like students from that program, I don't think their SMP helps you get in anywhere else.

They posted where their students have gotten in, some students got into Upitt and Mt Sinai so I don't think it really limits your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
whats the best SMP program with 2.7 cgpa-one year program. could someone please make a list of schools that offer SMP programs to get into med school the following year?

For Goro’s list, I would add VCOM and UIW. For MD SMPs, I would add Drexel’s DPMS and Georgetown GEMS. Some other reputable programs are Boston MAMS, RFU Post bacc, Tufts MBS, and Temple ACMS/BCMS

For Goro’s list, I would add VCOM and UIW. For MD SMPs, I would add Drexel’s DPMS and Georgetown GEMS. Some other reputable programs are Boston MAMS, RFU Post bacc, Tufts MBS, and Temple ACMS/BCMS

Rutgers has an MD one as well.

Reactions: 1 users
The linkage there is absolutely dreadful. I wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to their SMP

You're the 2md person on this thread to talk bad about it. What about it is bad, how is their linkage not good? Their websites states people get into some pretty good schools. Is the "linkage" not guaranteed, is that why its bad. Asking since I'm looking into the program.

You're the 2md person on this thread to talk bad about it. What about it is bad, how is their linkage not good? Their websites states people get into some pretty good schools. Is the "linkage" not guaranteed, is that why its bad. Asking since I'm looking into the program.
I would suggest that you talk to former students instead of looking on the program’s website for details. Obviously, Rutgers is going to try to sell you—they’re good at business. Start networking and learn the nutty gritty detail not boasted on their site.

I would suggest that you talk to former students instead of looking on the program’s website for details. Obviously, Rutgers is going to try to sell you—they’re good at business. Start networking and learn the nutty gritty detail not boasted on their site.

Well from what I've seen there are a couple people that I do research with have attended the program and have done fairly well and have gotten MD admittances. So again I don't know what you're talking about. Just saying its bad because it doesn't have a pipeline program like Drexel or Temple that grants a conditional acceptance into their MD program right away doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Well from what I've seen there are a couple people that I do research with have attended the program and have done fairly well and have gotten MD admittances. So again I don't know what you're talking about. Just saying its bad because it doesn't have a pipeline program like Drexel or Temple that grants a conditional acceptance into their MD program right away doesn't necessarily make it bad.
In the end, you’re going to do what you want to. So go ahead and apply, but best of luck if you’re wishing to attend NJMS

In the end, you’re going to do what you want to. So go ahead and apply, but best of luck if you’re wishing to attend NJMS

It's not the only place I'm applying don't get me wrong I have about 10 different schools. This one is preferable due to its proximity. Just don't know where the problem is. Is it lack connections with other MD programs? Do MD schools look down upon this program? Is the conditional acceptance not as good/guaranteed as other ones out there?

It's not the only place I'm applying don't get me wrong I have about 10 different schools. This one is preferable due to its proximity. Just don't know where the problem is. Is it lack connections with other MD programs? Do MD schools look down upon this program? Is the conditional acceptance not as good/guaranteed as other ones out there?
I judge post baccs and SMPs based on the strength of their linkages. If individuals graduating from their programs have a 3.9 GPA and are still not getting into that specific school...that’s a huge problem for me. Rutgers’ SMP has that problem. And in fact, they’re notorious for hardly matriculating their SMP grads into NJMS. Yeah, no thanks. I’d rather attend a SMP or a post bacc with a real linkage. Or with matriculation requirements that don’t force me to attain a 515 on my next MCAT retake