When do you disclose health information to administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fargoan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I had an appendectomy the Saturday after my first week of Pharmacy school. I missed class and had to rearrange labs in that week immediately following. Obviously I told the administration, I needed special compensations. They were incredibly understanding and supportive. They also ALL knew who I was by the time the White Coat Ceremony rolled around.

Now I'm going to be undergoing some medical problems that won't require me to miss classes, but my academic performance may suffer as a result of these known problems. They will also wrap up hopefully before the beginning of the next semester. Should I forewarn the administration even though there is nothing they can do? I'm inclined not to say anything. My protective mother feels otherwise. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

you should inform the dean of students, or some one like that, not the administration, b/c it's related to personal issues.

I had cancer and went through chemo and radiation during pre-pharm and p1 year. Letting folks in on it only aided when I had to miss class for appts. and such. Privacy is kept when you inform the dean and it just adds to credibility when you do need to miss some classes. So if this will be an illness that needs some time to overcome don't worry most of the profs were great!:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, you're supposed to contact the Office of Student Affairs. They'll arrange everything for you. We actually did have a student who had a serious disease, and they did all they could.

We have an assigned faculty mentor. If there was something I didn't want to directly communicate with Admin, I'd go there, but the info would probably get passed up the chain anyway if they thought it could affect your academic performance and/or require specific accomodations.

Thanks for all your input. I guess it never hurts to give people information. But darn you all for proving my mother right!! :mad: