when do you start practicing for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would not personally wear this to an interview...I would invest in a suit if I were you. Other opinions may vary.
Lol. This is a similar image that conjures up whenever I image blue + khakis.

glee_fanart_the_warblers_by_ninakask-d3dyu51__1_.png

Members don't see this ad.

I would not personally wear this to an interview...I would invest in a suit if I were you. Other opinions may vary.

I AGREE. I didn't want to say anything because some people have varying money situations; however, a suit would go over a lot better at an interview. Blazers are for prep-school, not dental school.

Proceed at your own risk

(If you wear a blazer, you will be the only one there that looks "out of place")

I'm gonna sport suspenders and a pocket protector :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna sport suspenders and a pocket protector :p
Nice! Just tell them, "Hey! Remember me? I'm that guy/gal with suspenders and a pocket protector." Standing firm to your character and principles is really important, but don't overdo it though.

Good luck.:)

Hey, better to find out now than then :)

Anyone post some url's for something that might look good for a d-school interview?

Anyone post some url's for something that might look good for a d-school interview?

If you are going to go the black route:

http://www.justin5mins.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/job-interview-handshake.jpg

This is pretty much what the rest of the interviewees will look like (minus any pocket squares):

http://career.opcd.wfu.edu/files/2011/06/Men-Business-Formal1.png

Only go with lighter colors like this if you are not a douche bag:

http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Gigantic/12/_6212432.jpg

NEVER THIS:

http://amdt.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dti-man5.jpg

This is pretty much what you want to shoot for:

http://media-cache-ec2.pinimg.com/236x/8a/23/c3/8a23c33ed566ed3f67f9f6f68f7585bc.jpg

(three buttons or two buttons are both OK... BUt, NEVER double breasted and NEVER button the bottom button of your suit.... and NO one button suits (weird)).

sev-manicure-monday-brace-face-diy-blog.jpg

As someone who always has my nails done, I think I'm going with these for interviews.

:laugh: :laugh:

would.... something like this help or hurt my chances? :naughty:

grillz-gold-cz-cross-vampire-top-btm-set-grills-l022s01-dd2f.jpg

haha no one will be able to understand a word I say with those on.
I used to sell them at my parents' store and they wondered if dentists would like them xD

haha no one will be able to understand a word I say with those on.
I used to sell them at my parents' store and they wondered if dentists would like them xD

OMG, wearing those would get you so many swag points that they would literally accept you on the spot.

And wait, tbond, you mean it would be frowned upon if I brought my gat to an interview?! MAN.

Well i'd say yes.... unless you are interviewing at a texas school. Then they will accept you right then and there.

sev-manicure-monday-brace-face-diy-blog.jpg

As someone who always has my nails done, I think I'm going with these for interviews.

:laugh: :laugh:
From a far distance that would look as if you couldn't afford the rest of the manicure. But I'd guess showing your manicure up front to them for clarity wouldn't hurt either.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to go the black route:

http://www.justin5mins.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/job-interview-handshake.jpg

This is pretty much what the rest of the interviewees will look like (minus any pocket squares):

http://career.opcd.wfu.edu/files/2011/06/Men-Business-Formal1.png

Only go with lighter colors like this if you are not a douche bag:

http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Gigantic/12/_6212432.jpg

NEVER THIS:

http://amdt.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dti-man5.jpg

This is pretty much what you want to shoot for:

http://media-cache-ec2.pinimg.com/236x/8a/23/c3/8a23c33ed566ed3f67f9f6f68f7585bc.jpg

(three buttons or two buttons are both OK... BUt, NEVER double breasted and NEVER button the bottom button of your suit.... and NO one button suits (weird)).

link number two is worlds better than the last one...been sniffin that yerba buena?

Proper fitting suit with proper tie, not a pencil skinny tie.
European (slim) or American (looser), doesn't really matter, IMO.

Get something that looks like its yours. Not your dad's.
Suit doesn't have to be $500 or $1000. If it fits, and doesn't look like H&M "suits", you'll be fine.
Zara, Express, and other "fashion" stores will be pushing it.

Get a wool suit, not some polyester crap.

Have proper sleeve lengths with proper shoulder fitment.
I'm getting a suit from Macy's and getting it altered. All in all, 2 piece suit will probably end up being somewhere shy of $500. Vest? maybe.

Navy, Gray, Brown(?), and other darker colors seem to be fine.
Black demands too much attention/authority, that's why black isn't worn to interviews.

Checklist:

proper fit suit, belt and shoes.
proper/discrete watch.
don't look like you just woke up (hair).
proper shirt and tie combo (learn to tie your tie).
socks. save the pink blue lavender argyle sock for a casual night out. stick with a solid color that doesn't clash with the suit.

Suit doesn't have to be $500 or $1000. If it fits, and doesn't look like H&M "suits", you'll be fine.

I'm getting a suit from Macy's and getting it altered. All in all, 2 piece suit will probably end up being somewhere shy of $500. Vest? maybe.

Black demands too much attention/authority, that's why black isn't worn to interviews.

Checklist:

proper/discrete watch.
socks. save the pink blue lavender argyle sock for a casual night out. stick with a solid color that doesn't clash with the suit.

This guy speaks the truth. I'd probably stay away from a vest, as it might bring unwanted attention to you, though I do like the nostalgic look of a 3-piece.

This guy speaks the truth. I'd probably stay away from a vest, as it might bring unwanted attention to you, though I do like the nostalgic look of a 3-piece.

Checklist:

proper/discrete watch.

Also should check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842733

I am just going with a dark blue suit. I am probly going to spend $600.00 max. on the suit, it comes with pants and blazer/jacket. Some nice shoes that are comfortable$180-240? under shirt and tie $80. Getting into the school of your choice? Priceless. There some things money can't buy, for everything else there's master card.

really? can't wear a 3-piece? I wore a 3-piece Navy suit to my first interview, Dean commented and gave me compliments all day on it. Now idk if he was being sarcastic. haha.

I think you are like I was when I first started my professional career years ago. I knew I wanted to dress appropriately but didn't really know what that meant. What I would suggest is going to a store that does not intimidate you. When people on this thread start talking about crazy things like different styles of dress shoes it seems like you are out of the loop. This intimidating fashion talk is just because they have fashion as a hobby. You don't need that. You just need to look presentable at an interview.

So, I think you should go to somewhere like Macy's or another department store. From previous experience the people that do the suits there are laid back and not especially fashion forward. People that are serious about fashion would not get their suit there. It is a non-intimidating environment where you can just try different things on. They always have sales, and you could probably get a good wool suit for $250ish. You can try different fits and colors and get the opinion of the help if you want. Just make sure you don't accidentally get a polyester suit, they are hiding at department stores. They look cheap and are very uncomfortable in hot weather.

Just a suggestion for people that were like I was and didn't care about fashion, but only about looking presentable.

really? can't wear a 3-piece? I wore a 3-piece Navy suit to my first interview, Dean commented and gave me compliments all day on it. Now idk if he was being sarcastic. haha.

Ha no way, I'm sure they weren't disingenuous. 3-pieces are sharp, I'm just not sure if I'd personally wear one to an interview. In the end, I think we all tend to make too big a deal of pretty much every piece of this whole process --> when we click 'submit', when this email or that email arrives in our inbox, whether our knots are four in hand or a half windsor, the way our shoes are laced, etc, etc... in the end I think what really matters, especially in the interview, is how you communicate your past experiences and relate them to your overarching desire to enter this profession. I think if you're a comfortable communicator, the details of what you wear won't hold you back. That said, I think there are some definite wardrobe choices that would bring into question your maturity - a three piece, I don't think, is one of them.

I think you are like I was when I first started my professional career years ago. I knew I wanted to dress appropriately but didn't really know what that meant. What I would suggest is going to a store that does not intimidate you. When people on this thread start talking about crazy things like different styles of dress shoes it seems like you are out of the loop. This intimidating fashion talk is just because they have fashion as a hobby. You don't need that. You just need to look presentable at an interview.

So, I think you should go to somewhere like Macy's or another department store. From previous experience the people that do the suits there are laid back and not especially fashion forward. People that are serious about fashion would not get their suit there. It is a non-intimidating environment where you can just try different things on. They always have sales, and you could probably get a good wool suit for $250ish. You can try different fits and colors and get the opinion of the help if you want. Just make sure you don't accidentally get a polyester suit, they are hiding at department stores. They look cheap and are very uncomfortable in hot weather.

Just a suggestion for people that were like I was and didn't care about fashion, but only about looking presentable.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Great comments, totally agree.

Fashion as a hobby??:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
bro with all these undergrad courses I doubt any here has hobby's or even remembers what they were:laugh:

Here's another fun one: Would any of you guys rock a bow tie? :D

Here's another fun one: Would any of you guys rock a bow tie? :D

yea. 3 guys including me wore a bow tie. The dean himself wore a bow tie and he said he loved that we were wearing bow ties. Bow ties seem to be trending now. I don't think I will wear it at my next interview though. I just wore it this time because I knew the dean is a big fan of Bow ties. We started discussing where he gets his collection of 37 bow ties.

Hey guys, thank you so much for the feedback, this is incredibly helpful! I'll probably go pick a suit out sometime this coming week.

Yeah sacapuntas, that's me for sure :p

What should women wear to the interview? Slacks or a long pencil shirt? I'm bad at this

So I've checked with my boyfriend who will soon be going to law school interviews (and he likes to suit up, haha). He said he wouldn't wear a bow tie, even though he has about 20 of them. He says they're a bit too trendy for an interview. And he also said he wouldn't wear a 3-piece suit--he thinks it's way too formal. He said he'd rather wear khakis, a sports coat, and a nice tie over a 3-piece suit (if he had to choose).

gn4, it sounds like you totally rocked it, though!! How in the world did you find out that the dean liked bow ties? :D

I'm going to wear a skirt suit, and I need to find some nice heels that would be good for walking around in all day. That is much easier said than done... Also, I have this beautiful white skirt suit that I wish I could wear, but there's no way that's happening! :) Charcoal gray it is.

So I've checked with my boyfriend who will soon be going to law school interviews (and he likes to suit up, haha). He said he wouldn't wear a bow tie, even though he has about 20 of them. He says they're a bit too trendy for an interview. And he also said he wouldn't wear a 3-piece suit--he thinks it's way too formal. He said he'd rather wear khakis, a sports coat, and a nice tie over a 3-piece suit (if he had to choose).

gn4, it sounds like you totally rocked it, though!! How in the world did you find out that the dean liked bow ties? :D

I'm going to wear a skirt suit, and I need to find some nice heels that would be good for walking around in all day. That is much easier said than done... Also, I have this beautiful white skirt suit that I wish I could wear, but there's no way that's happening! :) Charcoal gray it is.
Avoid strapless blouses/dresses. You'd be surprise.

I'd be way over 6' if I wore anything higher for shoes.:rolleyes:

Law school.:cool: I assume he's for legal protection and/or alibi? Lol.:thumbup:

your olfactory sense is off. that guy looks like me.

your olfactory sense is off. that guy looks like me.

:laugh: Burnnnnnn! :laugh:

Coming in at a whopping 5'3", I think I could safely get away with wearing heels! Hah, they'll probably be 1-2 inches.
Oh goodness, I hate strapless things because they're a huge hassle. Definitely none of that.

yea...I think I lucked out. seeing these comments make me think I should adjust for my next interview. haha. Yea...I knew of his bowtie fetish because I had visited the school last year and he talked about it then as well. haha.

yea...I think I lucked out. seeing these comments make me think I should adjust for my next interview. haha. Yea...I knew of his bowtie fetish because I had visited the school last year and he talked about it then as well. haha.

LOL, :thumbup:

I'm thinking a 3-piece.
I can't make up my mind, super on-the-fence.

On a side note.. I got a polyester suit from Kenneth Cole for about $100, not too bad. But not a great fit, so back to KC it goes.

Trying to find the right color is a nightmare. I just can't decide.
Like a woman!! :laugh: (jk)

BTW.
Navy blue is good, but what do you guys think about ROYAL blue?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...een-suit?ID=868955&CategoryID=17788&RVI=PDP_5

too much? (color reference)

Last edited:
night before (1-2 hours) with dinner and a good sleep. Research school and interview questions.. that's about it.

I'm thinking a 3-piece.
I can't make up my mind, super on-the-fence.

On a side note.. I got a polyester suit from Kenneth Cole for about $100, not too bad. But not a great fit, so back to KC it goes.

Trying to find the right color is a nightmare. I just can't decide.
Like a woman!! :laugh: (jk)

BTW.
Navy blue is good, but what do you guys think about ROYAL blue?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...een-suit?ID=868955&CategoryID=17788&RVI=PDP_5

too much? (color reference)

Don't do it.

Pocket square? or is that a "Don't do" as well?

The consensus is that if you have to ask then you won't be able to pull it off. :)

I don't think it's a matter of pulling it off. I think it's a matter of dressing trendy/classy without raising an eyebrow during the interview.