When exactly is peak interview season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicamedica

1K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising 4th year trying to make my schedule right now, and figure out when to take a vacation month for interviews.

I know interview season is from November to February, but when is the peak?

If you get early invites, is it better to just schedule them all for like January, or is there an advantage to interviewing early?

Members don't see this ad.

this is perhaps naive but as a 3rd year i've heard 4th years say to be aggressive and get your interview, but don't programs tell you they want to interview you and then it's up to you to schedule when? that just makes more sense to me, but the way it sounds sometimes is that you can just hound a program and they'll interview you...anybody know what i'm talking about?

how taxing is it to apply to both anesthesia and prelim programs? can all interviews be done by mid january?

I agree with Yankeeh8r. You should call programs a few weeks after your dean's letter has been out if you haven't gotten an interview there and if it is a place you are interested in. I was told by one of the programs I interviewed at that they specifically put my file in the "qualified applicant but not clear if really interested in our program" pile. So it is true that those exist. I wouldn't recommend calling too early about an interview, but I would not call too late either or they will think you aren't as interested and/or there won't be any more interview dates available. Yankee's suggestion of 2 weeks after dean's letters are out sounds like optimal timing.

Lefty