When should I send a letter of intent/interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisischelsea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just recently got waitlisted from one of my medical schools (one of my top picks right now) and I was wondering how early should I send in a letter?

I was thinking to send a short one now and after my fall grades come in, I'll send another one with my updated transcript + a longer letter in perhaps mid-January.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't, unless it's Gtown. How would YOU interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant????

They know you're interested because you sent them an app.

They also know you're lying.

A new transcript with a semester full of good grades is worth an update, but only if they accept updates.

Hey everyone, I just recently got waitlisted from one of my medical schools (one of my top picks right now) and I was wondering how early should I send in a letter?

I was thinking to send a short one now and after my fall grades come in, I'll send another one with my updated transcript + a longer letter in perhaps mid-January.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, a letter of intent is useful if you're waitlisted - it can't hurt. But it's also not good taste to send a letter of intent if you wouldn't accept their offer. You don't want to burn those bridges yet. So if it's your top choice and if they accepted you off the waitlist, you would definitely attend, it couldn't hurt you to send a letter of intent.

However, a letter of interest isn't useful when you're on a waitlist because they already know you're interested. That's probably why you interviewed in the first place. A letter of interest might be useful if you hadn't gotten an II already to get you that II but the utility of that is really low.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't, unless it's Gtown. How would YOU interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant????

A new transcript with a semester full of good grades is worth an update, but only if they accept updates.
Okay! Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably do the update in January. :)

Well, a letter of intent is useful if you're waitlisted - it can't hurt. But it's also not good taste to send a letter of intent if you wouldn't accept their offer. You don't want to burn those bridges yet. So if it's your top choice and if they accepted you off the waitlist, you would definitely attend, it couldn't hurt you to send a letter of intent.

However, a letter of interest isn't useful when you're on a waitlist because they already know you're interested. That's probably why you interviewed in the first place. A letter of interest might be useful if you hadn't gotten an II already to get you that II but the utility of that is really low.
Thanks for letting me know - I think I mixed up the letter of interest/intent...I thought they were the same thing (oops).

I'll definitely send them a letter perhaps a little later to see if I get any IIs from my other top pick.

Would this be true even if they know you were accepted elsewhere (my interviewer asked me and I answered her honestly) and it is obvious that you aren't lying about the school being your top choice? (The school is your alumni and you have lived at the city your entire life).

Question: Are updates (post interview) such as a new LOR (to which said school said they accept) be beneficial? I maxed out the LOR on my AMCAS so Im not sure how this LOR thing works as an update.

Do you think that the OP is the very first applicant in medical history to send a LOI?

Admissions Deans keep track of how many times per send these things and never matriculate.

I also see tons of posts from disingenuous SDNers who ask how to send LOI to multiple schools.

Again, "will you still respect me in the morning?".....what kind of answer will that provoke???

Would this be true even if they know you were accepted elsewhere (my interviewer asked me and I answered her honestly) and it is obvious that you aren't lying about the school being your top choice? (The school is your alumni and you have lived at the city your entire life).