When to DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkysygs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current freshman in college. Is it too early to take a practice DAT? I know I won't know more than half of the material but I just wanted to get a feel for it. Is it worth it or is it just a standardized test that I should take when I'm ready and start practicing for later?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current freshman in college. Is it too early to take a practice DAT? I know I won't know more than half of the material but I just wanted to get a feel for it. Is it worth it or is it just a standardized test that I should take when I'm ready and start practicing for later?? Thanks!

I would take the 2007 DAT that the ADA created to see where you stand (it's available for free). Then I would keep studying until you are confident enough to write it.

Edit: Sorry I misread, I didn't realise you were a freshman. In that case, spend time studying for the DAT once you've gotten your main pre-reqs out of the way (orgo, gen chem, biol).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would take the 2007 DAT that the ADA created to see where you stand (it's available for free). Then I would keep studying until you are confident enough to write it.
My college offers a free DAT. Not sure from what year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you want to drop $300+, don't do it. You also get only three tries before you have to ask for permission to continue taking it...
Besides, there are many other ways to get a feel of the DAT like taking practice tests. As @Zesta mentioned, consider looking at the 2007 DAT that's available for the public. Also consider checking out DAT Bootcamp for practice tests and daily practice questions. It's a pretty silly idea to waste your time on the DAT right now considering you haven't touch some of the material that's going to be on it. Wait until the end of sophomore or junior year, study aggressively, and kill the DAT then.

Best of luck~

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree with the above advice. If you're a freshman, there isn't any reason to take a practice DAT now if you aren't planning to take the DAT anytime soon. It's good to see that you're eager to take the DAT, but it would be a waste of time IMO to take a practice DAT now. You don't know the material and aren't planning to study for it yet.

Wait until whatever summer you are going to be taking it to take practice tests. Just worry about keeping your GPA high right now! That's by far the most important thing freshman year. Many people have a low freshman year GPA, and have to recover from it for all of college. Your efforts are better placed elsewhere than taking a practice DAT right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Not worth it this early, honestly. There are sections you could practice for super early on (PAT, RC, QR) but you really don't need years of practice to do well on them. The absolute earliest I would even consider preparing for the DAT would be after you've taken gen chem, bio, and at least one semester of organic chemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
save practice DAT's for when you are ready to take it so that you will have material to gauge your knowledge and wont have to spend extra time and money later on.