Where are my UCLA classmates (Class of 2009)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, do you guys think it's a good idea to get a digital voice recorder to record lectures?

Members don't see this ad.

niceteeth said:
Hi all, do you guys think it's a good idea to get a digital voice recorder to record lectures?

no way. maybe it's just me but i could never listen to a lecture twice. it's hard enough listening to it once. all the important points are in the ppt handouts anyway.

I got myself a voice recorder/mp3 player. So far so good.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who want to get a voice recorder, go for an iRiver mp3 player. iRiver has the best voice recording capability, even better than the olympus voice recorders.

Anyone know if we're going to get the orientation schedule before orientation or if they give us one on the first day? If we aren't going to be getting a schedule until we arrive, what type of thing do you all think we'll be doing on the first day and how long do you think we're going to be there? Has anyone received any info besides be there at 7:45 on the 15th/we have a white coat ceremony on the 16th? Thanks.

what is the app. due date for ucla?

Yah, I'd love to know what they have planned for an 8-day orientation. Although, I'm not complaining....because I'd much rather be doing that, than be in class. :)

By the way, any new students going skydiving?

It seems that the orientation is a mysterious week, or maybe it haven't been planned yet. I have a feeling that most of it will be oriented around beer, which makes me wonder... why? Especially when we know that it'll be killing our brain cells. Anywho, one of my favorite favorite professors jokes about getting bear after class and exam, so... hey, it's all good.

Maybe orientation week will be planned at the spurt of the moment? Now, I rather have the courseload spread into the orientation week then have to cram all during the quarter.

Anywho. Moving my stuff these days. Can't believe I have so much. D*mn how much clothes do I really need just for studying? I'm aiming for a 50% reduction in the stuff I bring.

Can't believe y'all excited for Dental school. If I get in, I'd be like, "Meh," and move on.

I go to UCLA so I don't think I'll get in.

SearsTower said:
I go to UCLA so I don't think I'll get in.

We have a lot of people in my class (3rd year) who did undergrad at UCLA. UCLA and Irvine were the most represented undergrad schools. They definitely don't discriminate against Bruins.

I applied for parking and was offered and accepted a parking permit, but I have yet to receive the permit. I also understand that the permits aren't valid until the 26th (or sometime around then), so...what are we supposed to do about parking? Since I paid for a year of parking, I'm a little ticked at the idea of having to pay $8 a day for eight days of orientation.

Move in Weyburn, got hooked up with Resnet. If anyone want to chil and explore the places, PM me, we'll do a pre-orientation orientation. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of us 2000Niners are meeting to have dinner on Monday night. If you can make it that would be great. We are meeting in front of the rental office at Weyburn, and then walk to get dinner. Join us if you can.

This will be like a pre-orientation orientation before the chaos of dental school.

jk5177 said:
Some of us 2000Niners are meeting to have dinner on Monday night. If you can make it that would be great. We are meeting in front of the rental office at Weyburn, and then walk to get dinner. Join us if you can.

This will be like a pre-orientation orientation before the chaos of dental school.

Monday night as in tonight??? Where is the rental office at Weyburn? I live in Brentwood and am not too familiar with all the buildings on/near campus but I would love to meet with you all tonight! What time?? thanks! :D

If you are coming from Brentwood, you would go down Wilshire (toward Westwood)...make a Left on Veteran, and a Right on Weyburn.....the rental office is on your right side....

Hope that helps!

Wish I could join you guys but I can't....so see you all on Thursday.

My 14-year-old car is at the autoshop awaiting a new engine or else I'd totally be there in a heart beat. Hope you all have fun! Drink up jk! :)

LSN said:
If you are coming from Brentwood, you would go down Wilshire (toward Westwood)...make a Left on Veteran, and a Right on Weyburn.....the rental office is on your right side....

Hope that helps!

Wish I could join you guys but I can't....so see you all on Thursday.

Great thanks so much! What time are people going??? And where are you eating?

I apologize for not having all the details posted. My bad, somehow I was confused about the planning, and then just forgot to check with everyone later in the day.

So here is the update.

Let's meet up on Wednesday 6 pm in front of the Rental Office in Weyburn, then we can decide a place to eat. Hope this is more clear than last time.

It'll be cool to meet up with you guys, and perhaps share any SDN stories or whatever.

Hey 2009ers!

I know this is a last minute post, but I've got a small group of fellow 2009 people meeting up before the UCLA vs. OU game at Rose Bowl Stadium. If anybody else is interested in watching some football with friends/classmates, PM me (Adam) or call me at 510-407-1463.

GO BRUINS!!!

Hiya,

A bunch of 1st years are going to the Playa del Rey beach tomorrow (Sunday) at around 2 - 3 PM. Come out, get a tan, bring the amigos!

Directions (courtesy of Eddie):
1: I-405 S
2: Merge onto CA-90 W toward MARINA DEL REY.
3: Turn LEFT onto CULVER BLVD.
4: Stay in the right lane and make a right at the beach
5: End at Playa Del Rey

and, if that doesn't work, here are directions courtesy of MapQuest,
1: Merge onto I-405 S. 5.3 miles
2: Merge onto CA-90 W toward MARINA DEL REY.
3: Turn LEFT onto CULVER BLVD. 2.0 miles
4: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto VISTA DEL MAR. 0.7 miles
5: End at Playa Del Rey, CA US

I have a feeling that dental school will be more fun than undergrad. :laugh:

how was the game?
hurray! we are 2 and 0!!!

CalRunner04 said:
Hey 2009ers!

I know this is a last minute post, but I've got a small group of fellow 2009 people meeting up before the UCLA vs. OU game at Rose Bowl Stadium. If anybody else is interested in watching some football with friends/classmates, PM me (Adam) or call me at 510-407-1463.

GO BRUINS!!!

I heard there is also a CPR class on campus somewhere. Can anyone provide me the info on that? So, I don't have to drive all the way to downtown for the CPR course - D*mn traffic these days!

I'm looking to buy the anatomy books. Any 2nd year or upper classman has them for cheap? please pm me. thanks. :)

gatszu said:
I'm looking to buy the anatomy books. Any 2nd year or upper classman has them for cheap? please pm me. thanks. :)

You can also try amazon. I got a bunch of books off there. It's not on the gross anatomy reading list but I like Rohen's Color Atlas of Human Anatomy. It's got a lot of photos of actual dissections. Really good.

I asked Dr. Fisher about getting Netter's rather than Clemente's, and he suggested getting Clemente's because he thought Netters is too cartoony. When I looked at Clementes from the bookstore, I could swear that Clemente sucked schmuck. Am I wrong, or anyone out there agrees with me as well?

Dr. Clemente is one of the pillar for the ucla anatomy department at the medical school. He deserves all our respect.

Ya, since the medical students use netter, I am sure it is too cartoony. We are dental students. We all know our curriculum is much more intense than theirs. If you want to use netter atlas, be a med student.

jk5177 said:
I asked Dr. Fisher about getting Netter's rather than Clemente's, and he suggested getting Clemente's because he thought Netters is too cartoony. When I looked at Clementes from the bookstore, I could swear that Clemente sucked schmuck. Am I wrong, or anyone out there agrees with me as well?

Sorry for the intrusion to the UCLA thread, but i was wondering about something drphobie said in another thread. he said this year 40 out of 100 were applying to ortho. i was wondering how many were applying to other specialties, and if anyone in that class planned on going general? :laugh: Are all the classes (-7, 08, 09) like that too? That is crazy.

do u mean applying or want to apply? those two are different
as far as i know, 90% of people who want to specialize want to get into ortho for obvious reason. dont worry, we have people planning to go into perio, oral surgery, pedo, endo, and gp, teaching, and etc. keep in mind that this 4th year class is extrememly smart. we have a couple 99. i guess the 12 finals curriculum pays off at the very end.

adamlc18 said:
Sorry for the intrusion to the UCLA thread, but i was wondering about something drphobie said in another thread. he said this year 40 out of 100 were applying to ortho. i was wondering how many were applying to other specialties, and if anyone in that class planned on going general? :laugh: Are all the classes (-7, 08, 09) like that too? That is crazy.

For me, I was totally excited yesterday when the four upper classmen taught the introduction to oral anatomy. I could care less about ortho to be honest, but it would be really awesome to be involved into teaching. I heard the opportunities are everywhere. That's also the committee that I plan to get involved - pre-dental; so perhaps in third year, I'll get to teach a class to the pre-dents.

Hey Eric, thanks for contributing to this thread.

Well, in terms of textbooks.. I'm going with Netter's Clinical Anatomy rather than Moore and Agur. Also, I'm going with Netter's Atlas (the used version), and I plan to get Rohen's from online.

What do you think?

3rd year? what r u talking about, man? u can be a teacher in ur first year. come talk with our asda predental committee chair. remember that predental student course? we are going to lab instructor! somewhere on sdn, i talked about it, so do a search (hehe). i learned that i m a lot excited about operative than waxup. and with the ms program, we have to present in front of the podium at 13-041, which is apparently quite a preveilage to some alumni.

i have little knowledge regarding all those different anatomy text.
my suggestion is to get the same as others(at least your teammate.) reason being u can discuss the similar pages when u have question. if 1 person has a different book, he/she will be so lost. quantity is not necessarily a good thing. u wont have time to read every single book. discuss with ur group and make a decision. WORK AS A TEAM!

jk5177 said:
For me, I was totally excited yesterday when the four upper classmen taught the introduction to oral anatomy. I could care less about ortho to be honest, but it would be really awesome to be involved into teaching. I heard the opportunities are everywhere. That's also the committee that I plan to get involved - pre-dental; so perhaps in third year, I'll get to teach a class to the pre-dents.

Hey Eric, thanks for contributing to this thread.

Well, in terms of textbooks.. I'm going with Netter's Clinical Anatomy rather than Moore and Agur. Also, I'm going with Netter's Atlas (the used version), and I plan to get Rohen's from online.

What do you think?

hurray!!!! we finally got rid of those ugly chairs at the dental lobby
i walked by this morning and saw those mover getting them out
i so want to help them out. yes, finally our patient will have something decent to sit on while waiting.

good job clinic

ecdoesit said:
hurray!!!! we finally got rid of those ugly chairs at the dental lobby
i walked by this morning and saw those mover getting them out
i so want to help them out. yes, finally our patient will have something decent to sit on while waiting.

good job clinic

Dude. I can use them in my place. It is currently empty.

toothpixie said:
... i think the best part for me was "discovery" when you get to open up your dental kits at your lab bench and go through all your new toys!

We'll be doing this in less than an hour. Yeh.

adamlc18 said:
Sorry for the intrusion to the UCLA thread, but i was wondering about something drhobie said in another thread. he said this year 40 out of 100 were applying to ortho. i was wondering how many were applying to other specialties, and if anyone in that class planned on going general? :laugh: Are all the classes (-7, 08, 09) like that too? That is crazy.

40 out of 100 ARE APPLYING to ortho, not just wanting to apply. It's a record from what I hear. I have no idea how many are applying to the other specialties. I do know that pedo is gaining popularity. I have no idea why though. The very notion of a hysterical screaming child in my chair makes me want to run in the other direction.

Also, Clemente is awesome. He was one of my favorite lecturers. The reason I preferred Netter was it was easier to see individual structures because the colors of each structure are more distinct. Clemente's colors are more similar (like in the body) and don't jump out at you as much. I think when you are first learning, Netters is easier to follow because it is simpler to pick out structures. You'll be fine with either one. I do agree with Eric that Clemente's is useful because the page numbers will be referred to many times during lecture.

I'm looking forward to meeting all the new 1st years and getting back to LA. I've been doing an OMS externship in NYC for the last 2 weeks and have been working 14 hrs a day. Sweet vacation. :)

That discovery we had was a bit weak. There were really only like 6 hand held tools. Weak sauce.

Q for DrHobie7,
In addition to fall quarer workload, I am thinking to take 11 additional units for my MS. Do you think I am insane?
Here is the breakdown.
2 unit for Yagiela Pharm class, which I need to get 80% on his test, same class as dental sch (option to drop it if i cant make it)
2 unit (mandatory) a friday seminar, just attendance, no test, 1 hr lunch
3 unit molecular and cell biology, straight forward class that helps my research, requires two lunch hrs
4 unit individual research (somehow they will give me 4 unit) since they probably know writing a thesis or getting data to write one will require much greater than 8 units(max unit for doing research) that they allotted to graduation.

i need either 32 or 34 units to graduate from the MS.
I have 8 units so far.

for 1st year, this is when time management and "you are crazy" comes into place.

ecdoesit said:
Q for DrHobie7,
In addition to fall quarer workload, I am thinking to take 11 additional units for my MS. Do you think I am insane?
Here is the breakdown.
2 unit for Yagiela Pharm class, which I need to get 80% on his test, same class as dental sch (option to drop it if i cant make it)
2 unit (mandatory) a friday seminar, just attendance, no test, 1 hr lunch
3 unit molecular and cell biology, straight forward class that helps my research, requires two lunch hrs
4 unit individual research (somehow they will give me 4 unit) since they probably know writing a thesis or getting data to write one will require much greater than 8 units(max unit for doing research) that they allotted to graduation.

i need either 32 or 34 units to graduate from the MS.
I have 8 units so far.

for 1st year, this is when time management and "you are crazy" comes into place.

Doesn't sound that bad. You've basically got 1 real new class (MCB). I think you'll handle it no problem. It's funny, from what I hear the masters classes are very similar to our dental school classes, but less rigorous.

Another difference is it is letter grade.
And we have to get 80% in order to get credit!

Well, i think other than those overlapping classes, we take similar courses, but they emphasize on different things.
i think they want us to learn stuff in those classes
not to cram stuff

drhobie7 said:
Doesn't sound that bad. You've asically got 1 real new class (MCB). I think you'll handle it no problem. It's funny, from what I hear the masters classes are very similar to our dental school classes, but less rigorous.

Is the "website" usually mentioned as where stuff are being posted the dent.ucla.edu website or is there another website that i'm not aware of? Thanks.

gatszu said:
Is the "website" usually mentioned as where stuff are being posted the dent.ucla.edu website or is there another website that i'm not aware of? Thanks.

Hmmm... This is my first post ever. I'm a second year here at UCLA. Concerning the webpage, we (class of 2008) have our own webpage located at www.something-obscure.com. Go check it out. Our webmistress (Amy) changed the format of our webpage just yesterday to a "Fall" theme. I understand that every class recieves a small section on dent.ucla.edu but they really limit you to what you can do on it.

For example, (this is gonna get REALLY nerdy...)on dent.ucla.edu we had problems with PHP, mySQL, bulletin boards, poor upload/download times, etc. etc. Therefore our class decided to go with our own domain name and host.

So... what do I recommend for the c/o 2009? Find an awesome web person for your class and decide from there -- there's always about 2~3 people who know everything about web design in every class. Also, talk to Amy and see what she suggests.

Good Luck and hope to see y'all around (kinda picked that up when I went to Houston for the Annual ASDA conference a few weeks ago).

drhobie7 said:
40 out of 100 ARE APPLYING to ortho, not just wanting to apply. It's a record from what I hear. I have no idea how many are applying to the other specialties. I do know that pedo is gaining popularity. I have no idea why though. The very notion of a hysterical screaming child in my chair makes me want to run in the other direction.

Oooh. Let me see...
39 out of 100 applying to ortho
1 out of 100 applying to Prosthodontics (Yay!!!!!!!!!!)
13 applying to Pedo ('cause they love kids...)
3~4 applying to Endo
1 applying to Oral Maxillofacial Surgery
A bunch of people applying to GPRs because they are awesome
You still have your Perio, AEGD, PhD, Public Health, Radiology, Oral Pathology, and General people too. You also focus on things like sports, cosmetics, forensics, or possibly join the Army, Navy or Air Force... All awesome choices. And you can also be an overachiever like EC and Zip and get your masters here... j/k
C/O 2009... don't worry about speciaties too early. Be involved in different things at school (ie. ASDA!) and have fun.

lm talking about a website where professors post lecture notes and so on. Does such a website exist ?

gatszu said:
lm talking about a website where professors post lecture notes and so on. Does such a website exist ?

I have the same question. And also, Dr. Fisher said the other day that there are Officially Released Exams from previous years. Let the digging begin! :laugh:

jk5177 said:
I have the same question. And also, Dr. Fisher said the other day that there are Officially Released Exams from previous years. Let the digging begin! :laugh:

JK.. Not everything that Dr. Fisher or any faculty people told you and 87 other UCLA c/o 09 has to become a “public knowledge”. You’ll server/help your self/class better by asking your standard questions regarding the software, anatomy books, d-recorders and some other imperative stuff. Take it easy.