Where are my UCLA classmates (Class of 2009)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a new Wikicities website just for the Class of 2009 which is part of the overall UCLA School of Dentistry student Wikicity that you can start using now to organize and inform your class as well as see what else is going on. Although you will be electing an official class webmaster, this is a publicly editable site, so everyone can contribute; just click the edit tab at the top or one of the section-specific edit links along the right side.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone meditate on a regular basis?

hehe, just got a msg from sdn
someone is trying to hack into my account!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm such a n00b DS1. Is the White Coat Ceremony generally considered as a family thing? Is it typical to invite parents?

Yes, family and significant others are/should be invited.

jk5177 said:
I'm such a n00b DS1. Is the White Coat Ceremony generally considered as a family thing? Is it typical to invite parents?

i checked my financial aid summary, offered aid is $50k while tuition cost is $56k. Do we need to take out private loan to make up the $6k??

It depends whether u buy every single books at full price or having other expenses. Usually, people have some money left. Since interest rate is no longer as attractive as before, I would probably focus on conserving your money or maximize your marginal utility as your goal. i put "*" on the book that is official textbook. Let me know right away if you are interested. These offer usually comes and gone pretty fast.

Here is a way:
*1. clemente's anatomy dissector - like new - $20
2. clinical neuroanatomy - like new - $20
3. atlas of histology with functional correlations - like new - $20
4. human brain coloring book - uncolored, like new - $10
5. essential clinical anatomy - like new - $20
6. wheater's functional histology - $10
7. microbiology - $10

and
second email
*6. Microbio made ridiculously simple (good for boards and your other microbio classes) - $15

*For your oral histology class, he'll recommend Ten Cate's Oral Histology which I'll sell for $20

btw, these are not my books nor price.
i just read some email some upperclass people sent.

gatszu said:
i checked my financial aid summary, offered aid is $50k while tuition cost is $56k. Do we need to take out private loan to make up the $6k??

gatszu said:
i checked my financial aid summary, offered aid is $50k while tuition cost is $56k.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked URSA as well.

Odontastic: I like your avatar. But none of us kknow who you are. Ah. The administration spying on us. ;)

gatszu said:

Seriously. Does the EFC mean nothing? Le sigh...

jk5177 said:
Anyone meditate on a regular basis?

I do yoga breathing and some pilates. Does that count?

Literati81 said:
I do yoga breathing and some pilates. Does that count?

I don't do yoga breathing nor pilates.

Another SDN/ClassOf2009 person and I have been PMing about the possibility of have a regular mediatation/spiritual/relaxation/stress-relieving/whatever-wholesome-practice group during the lunch time or something. Hey, none of us know about yoga or pilates.

odontastic said:
There is a new Wikicities website just for the Class of 2009 which is part of the overall UCLA School of Dentistry student Wikicity that you can start using now to organize and inform your class as well as see what else is going on. Although you will be electing an official class webmaster, this is a publicly editable site, so everyone can contribute; just click the edit tab at the top or one of the section-specific edit links along the right side.

There's a conflict of information regarding the schedule on wiki and the green schedule sheet that I received in the mail from Sarah a while back. Who is correct?

Also, I'm not allowed to "edit" because...

"Your IP address is listed as an open proxy in the [http://www.sorbs.net SORBS] DNSBL. You cannot create an account"

Can anybody suggest me what to do?

I came across this, and thought I share it. Please note that this is for Graduate Students in general, thus may not be specifically for us who are in the School of Dentistry. Anywho.

*Is it something we can go? I don't know. I don't see why not.
*Is it something that's useful? I don't know either, perhaps the veterans dental students can chime in and tell us.
*Is it in conflict with our class schedule that day? I believe so.
*Am I going to go? I don't know.

Welcome to UCLA!

On behalf of the UCLA Graduate Students Association (your student government) and the Graduate Student Resource Center, I encourage all new UCLA graduate students to attend the New Graduate Student Orientation on Monday, September 26, 2005 in the Ackerman Grand Ballroom.

This comprehensive orientation includes a plenary session, box lunch, resource fair, workshops, and graduate student-led tours of campus. The orientation is free of charge and open to all new graduate students, but you must register by the September 20th deadline to receive lunch!

For a complete schedule, please visit the New Graduate Student Orientation website: http://gsa.asucla.ucla.edu/gsrc/Events/Orientation.htm

Follow this link to register using MyUCLA: https://be.my.ucla.edu/login.asp?survey=Y&sid=35

Registration deadline: September 20, 2005

For log-in instructions to MyUCLA click here: http://gsa.asucla.ucla.edu/gsrc/pdfs/myuclalogin.pdf

If you have questions or problems registering, please contact the Graduate Student Resource Center at [email protected] or call (310) 267-4805.

This is a great opportunity for you to really connect with the campus and the many resources it provides. The orientation will help you both survive and thrive in graduate school. We look forward to seeing you on September 26th!

Jared Fox
--
President
UCLA Graduate Students Association
Kerckhoff Hall Room 316, 308 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles CA 90024
http://gsa.asucla.ucla.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
Yoohoo. Just came in today, I will be in Olive Court of Weyburn Terrace.

jk5177 said:
There's a conflict of information regarding the schedule on wiki and the green schedule sheet that I received in the mail from Sarah a while back. Who is correct?

I've heard that the wiki site is correct. They decided to swap anatomy, and history& ethics in for histology, and physiology.

ljca. "ucla's divine class of 2009 " I like your signature.

Dear class of 2009:

From the class that brought you "Moustaches for Midterms", "Mohawks for Midterms", and "Hackey Sack in the Breezeway" (CLASS OF 2008 BABY!!!!): we would like to invite you to go skydiving with us first week of fall quarter (Saturday, October 1st). Anyone who is interested in going, or wants more info on this awesome trip, please send an email out to [email protected].

Your friend,
Robert Busan
Class of 2008

Hi all...

I have a few questions for any current UCLA students about the white coat ceremony: Our guests are supposed to arrive at 10, and then what happens after that? How long is the ceremony, and will we have time afterward to see our nearest and dearest who have decided to attend? If so, how much time? Are there orientation events scheduled for that afternoon?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which preferred lender to use? Any advice would be much appreciated. See y'all in a few weeks.

umc27 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which preferred lender to use? Any advice would be much appreciated. See y'all in a few weeks.

It probably doesn't matter too much as you will likely consolidate with a new lender after graduating. But without question USE A LENDER WITH NO ORIGINATION FEES!!! These will cost you about $1000/year. I feel like a fricking idiot for paying them freshman year. It is also easier if you use a lender that does direct deposit like Access Group or B of A.

cool fillings said:
Hi all...

I have a few questions for any current UCLA students about the white coat ceremony: Our guests are supposed to arrive at 10, and then what happens after that? How long is the ceremony, and will we have time afterward to see our nearest and dearest who have decided to attend? If so, how much time? Are there orientation events scheduled for that afternoon?

Thanks!

I had exactly the same question so I emailed Noemi.
My understanding of the events is that there are no orientation activities planned for the rest of the day and the weekend. So, yes, you are free afterward to see your nearest and dearest.
Also, supposedly, there will be a detailed schedule arriving soon.

jk5177 said:

Yeah the digital camera for gross anatomy is definitely not happening. Honestly, I don't think it'd help you much anyway. It'd probably be too close to orient yourself or too far away to see anything. Anatomy is all about seeing it in person and multiple times on different cadavers.

Be ready to spend hours upon hours in anatomy lab.

Ya, the white coat ceremony is a tradition for the parent to see their son or daughter one last time. This is when we shine the brightest before 4 years later. it is a good idea to spend some time with them before sch starts.

as for lender, i have chela that doesnt charge fees. Bank of America is the other one. for chela, i get my money on time and no complains.

digital camera to the anatomy lab? do u want to get kicked out of sch? with the mess that the anatomy department is in, u r likely to get ur body in there without a full inspection. even though u cant study at home, there are plenty of weekends and nights when u and other classmates in the lab trying to figure out the brachial plexus and the inguinal canals. so dont worry, it will be in your mental pictures for a long time.

Digital camera would be great for the clinic.
  • You may be able to see relationships, proportions, and assymetries of the teeth, spaces, soft tissue, and face that you might otherwise miss.
  • A picture of with a desired shade tab improves communications with the lab for indirect restorations.
  • You can show your patient what you're talking about and co-diagnose. An intraoral camera would be even better.
  • PhotoMed has pricey extraoral dental cameras as well as mirrors, contrasters, and retractors if you want to try using your existing consumer/prosumer digital camera.

Don't think of using the camera for gross unless you want to meet the hearing officer, fail, or a negative EPR. If you want something to look at outside the lab, there is a human anatomy book of pictures intead of drawings.

2009 First Year Orientation tentative schedule.
http://students.wikicities.com/wiki/UCLA_SOD_2009

Do they publish schools avg boards 1 scores? If not, how do we know how well we did? I read from another thread that we were second again behind harvard.

We were first this year, hurrah...I think. odontotastic might prove me wrong.

fouyboy said:
Do they publish schools avg boards 1 scores? If not, how do we know how well we did? I read from another thread that we were second again behind harvard.

Dean Park said we were 2nd. However, Harvard only had about 20 students take the exam (they have 35 or so total in each class). If you take our top 35 we smoke 'em.

could we include that pic to the SOE?
otherwise, we cant store patients' info in our laptop
so i really donno how we could do that in the SOD.

but in private practice, it is a great idea

odontastic said:
Digital camera would be great for the clinic.
  • You may be able to see relationships, proportions, and assymetries of the teeth, spaces, soft tissue, and face that you might otherwise miss.
  • A picture of with a desired shade tab improves communications with the lab for indirect restorations.
  • You can show your patient what you're talking about and co-diagnose. An intraoral camera would be even better.
  • PhotoMed has pricey extraoral dental cameras as well as mirrors, contrasters, and retractors if you want to try using your existing consumer/prosumer digital camera.

Don't think of using the camera for gross unless you want to meet the hearing officer, fail, or a negative EPR. If you want something to look at outside the lab, there is a human anatomy book of pictures intead of drawings.

2009 First Year Orientation tentative schedule.
http://students.wikicities.com/wiki/UCLA_SOD_2009

ecdoesit said:
could we include that pic to the SOE?
otherwise, we cant store patients' info in our laptop
so i really donno how we could do that in the SOD.

but in private practice, it is a great idea

I'm pretty sure digital photos can't be stored on SOE. Yes, according to HIPAA laws you can't store Pt info on your computer or anywhere else outside the patient record (which has to stay in the clinic building) for that matter. But, off the record, you gotta store the info somewhere. Your computer is a pretty handy place for it. So is a PDA. :rolleyes:

man, i thought the sch is nice to us.
but just found out we have to change our friday plans next quarter.
going to have a class from 1-3pm
which mean, we have to come to sch.

life sucks

ecdoesit said:
man, i thought the sch is nice to us.
but just found out we have to change our friday plans next quarter.
going to have a class from 1-3pm
which mean, we have to come to sch.

life sucks

Dude our Friday schedule is GRIM! We have class ONE class from 1-5pm!! 4 hours for one class! I'm going to bring a case of beer, sit in the back, and start the weekend off early. Of course I'll be getting up to pee every 20 minutes.

hahaha, it is students' right to complain. (I think this is the beauty of our country) And it is the school's right to make our life miserable in order to shape us into the best form.
otherwise, we all dont have much to do, u know.
i m sure the school has many good reason to change Dr Y's schedule just to give us the worse/if not worst schedule

wont it be sweet to finish class on friday morning and have that off?
i guess the sch will never be that nice to us(2nd yr)

drhobie7 said:
Dude our Friday schedule is GRIM! We have class ONE class from 1-5pm!! 4 hours for one class! I'm going to bring a case of beer, sit in the back, and start the weekend off early. Of course I'll be getting up to pee every 20 minutes.

I'm going to start a UCLA B*tch thread....we've hijacked the Class of 2009 thread....or we can start a Class of 2010 thread!

I think this is more of a ziptree, ecdoesit, and drhobie7 thread. lol.
Yeah, B*tch in the 2010 thread, and give them an early start to the difficulty of the school. Meanwhile, I'll try to cherish what free time I have of my life. Guess it won't be too long.
Curiously enough, a lot of the orientation activities seem to surround a keg. Mmmph.

Cmon, we have a huge push in our sch to blend in all the 4 classes. This is why I am applying to this thread. Look at the bright side, I still have time to check sdn during final week.

Dont forget the ice-cream social today at noon!
Ziptree, we suppose to go as a group (Dr Wong's lab).

btw, i might be your tourguide during orientation and share your free lunch with you. good luck

ziptree said:
I'm going to start a UCLA B*tch thread....we've hijacked the Class of 2009 thread....or we can start a Class of 2010 thread!

jk5177 said:
Curiously enough, a lot of the orientation activities seem to surround a keg. Mmmph.

You're gonna be a doing some drinkin' to forget midterms and finals. Heh. Might as well start early with our help.

ziptree said:
You're gonna be a doing some drinkin' to forget midterms and finals. Heh. Might as well start early with our help.

Believe it or not, but I actually don't drink. Eeek. The lone wolf. Or is it the lone sheep?

u can be the lone sheep
i m definitely the lone wolf

man, u r counting down to orientation? ( i believe i have the same feeling a yr ago) now i m counting down to number of days left till graduation.

jk5177 said:
Believe it or not, but I actually don't drink. Eeek. The lone wolf. Or is it the lone sheep?

jk5177 said:
17 days before orientation and meeting UCLA Class of 2000 Nine.

24 days before I come back to UCLA and see the rest of my classmates of the Class of 2008 (not that I don't love you guys!)...*sigh* :(

I've been saying goodbye to my relatives, and friends this whole week long. Sad to go. But then, also joyous that the past few years of my life has had meaning. Sometimes, being a good person living properly (whatever that means) don't always have immediate results. Being honest may feel dorky and uncomfortable at times, but somehow it re-enforces the connections I have with the people I come across. If people's interactions/connections are like wires, everytime I'm honest and sincere, a layer of duct tape is wrapped around it.

No, man, I'm not looking forward to dental school. It would be crazy to leave a place of comfort to a place of newness. But, there's always going to be mixed feelings when it comes to transition. Ambivalence is the word.

Things to look forward to at UCLA: Wooden center, Hammer Museum, GWM (this is an acronymn which only I know, and in case you are guessing it does not stand for gay white male, lol), looking at books, meeting cool people, studying with people, meeting people who have similar interests, watch myself as I move through these transitional days, organizing my own room without parents constantly nagging, studying without worrying about exams (the best part of studying is not taking exams, some of you are going to flash me with the number of exams you have each week. You know, I can use my toes to count in case the number is more than ten), and whatever that may arise.

Things to NOT look forward to at UCLA: ugh. Too personal to share, so I'll leave it up to your imagination. :)

So is it true we can only invite immediate family members to the White Coat Ceremony? I asked the Admissions Coordinator about bringing friends and she said it was okay. So I invited and confirmed at least 5 people. :thumbup: Then I got another e-mail which basically stated that I could not bring anyone outside my immediate family. :thumbdown:

Sigh. This makes me -> :(

...whatta bummer...

Anybody confused about the amount of financial aid to take out, and which bank to choose? I've been trying to understand what bank to choose, and what the interest would be had I taken out a 30,000 unsubsidized Stafford.

I understand we should never never lend from a bank that has origination fees. Umph. I got to do more research on this. :(

jk5177 said:
Anybody confused about the amount of financial aid to take out, and which bank to choose? I've been trying to understand what bank to choose, and what the interest would be had I taken out a 30,000 unsubsidized Stafford.

I understand we should never never lend from a bank that has origination fees. Umph. I got to do more research on this. :(
when you go to the fao site and look at your eFAN, at the bottom before you submit the eFAN, there;s a like of lenders, look into one of those recommended electronic lenders. the group includes BofA and Wellsfargo. When you go to sallymae to sign the contract, make sure you indicate the correct lender, too. yes, it's better to borrow from a lender w/o the 3% origination fee. I didn't know this all through my undergrad & have lost about $1000 to origination fee. But for dent, i went w/Wellsfargo since i bank with them anyways, and no origination fee. the interest on the unsub stafford I believe is the same w/every lender. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

out of curiousity, does anyone get offered the whole $56k for financial aid?

I have yet another question for any 2008-ers on here (or anyone in the know)...

I'm curious about if we have a dress code for our classes. If so, what is it?
Thanks.

cool fillings said:
I have yet another question for any 2008-ers on here (or anyone in the know)...

I'm curious about if we have a dress code for our classes. If so, what is it?
Thanks.

No dress code. Closed toed shoes are a must for lab. Scrubs in clinic and anatomy lab but that won't be for a while for you guys.