This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I list this volunteer experience in my app?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

sushi18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro do you think listing this experience would be a negative sign due to lack of longevity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this 20 hours so important?
Because the experience helped shape my decision to pursue medicine, and I'm unsure of how to explain my reasoning for going into medicine without mentioning it

Ok, go for it then. But this then begs the question if it was so pivotal why did you only do it for 20 hours?
Yeah, I see what you mean. I volunteered there a few hours every week over the summer, not all in one go. It was hard to leave because I really enjoyed working with clients, but the actual work itself wasn't what kept me coming back. So now I'm doing volunteering more in line with my passions. But I have a sinking feeling that my reasoning wouldn't fly with admissions hence why I'm debating what to do

I volunteered there a few hours every week over the summer, not all in one go. It was hard to leave because I really enjoyed working with clients, but the actual work itself wasn't what kept me coming back. So now I'm doing volunteering more in line with my passions.
Do you have other short-term volunteering in the same category (nonclinical) that you could group it with? Or could you mention it in another space as the reason why you then did x, y, or z as part of the backstory (without adding the hours to the Total Hours of the space if it's not in the same category, ie clinical or not clinical).

I agree with @Goro that it will look pretty skimpy all on its own.

Reactions: 1 user
How could 20 hours have such a huge impact on your life. I know 20 hours can impact you but usually if it’s that big of an impact you’d continue with the activity. Could you share with us what the nonclinical activity is that has so impacted you that it has led you to medicine? I find that interesting.

Reactions: 1 user