Which is more Important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Curious as to which one adcoms view as more important. The main core prerequisites or upper divisions?

I know, I know, one must do well in all coursework and do the best they can. But when it comes down to it, do adcoms give a greater priority to upper divisions or core prerequisites ?

Members don't see this ad.

When choosing between doing well in core reqs and poorly in upper divisions and doing poorly in core reqs and well in upper divisions, I would say do well in upper divisions, because an upward trend is preferable to a downward trend. Obviously, doing well in all classes is preferred, and you should preferably do an upper level for each subject you did poorly in during cores, to show mastery in that subject. If you C'd physics, doing well in upper level bio classes won't help as much as upper level physics classes

Tl;dr: probably upper divisions, if the subjects are the same as the ones you did poorly in.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

Curious as to which one adcoms view as more important. The main core prerequisites or upper divisions?

I know, I know, one must do well in all coursework and do the best they can. But when it comes down to it, do adcoms give a greater priority to upper divisions or core prerequisites ?
Both of them. SDNers are advisors not to focus on single metrics.

It also doesn't matter, because Adcoms are not monolithc in their notions as to what students should do or have.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if I only did the prereqs and haven't done Biochem or upper division major courses, that's alright?

You need to do biochem for the MCAT, but the answer to that question is yes.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't even care if you take upper division classes.

Really? You put that much emphasis on the prerequisites themselves? What about the upper divisions!! They can be intense too haha

Really? You put that much emphasis on the prerequisites themselves? What about the upper divisions!! They can be intense too haha
I don't actually care about "pre-reqs" either. I care that you have been an exemplary student in your chosen field of study (whatever that may be) and have shown competency in the sciences sufficient to attend medical school.

I don't actually care about "pre-reqs" either. I care that you have been an exemplary student in your chosen field of study (whatever that may be) and have shown competency in the sciences sufficient to attend medical school.

Ah OK. That makes much more sense. What would be competency in the sciences? I guess it makes sense. If someone struggled in al their prefers but aced their upper divisions... I guess they'd be sufficient. What would you say is sufficient?

Half of all applicants are not bio majors of any kind. Social science and humanties majors may not have any thing beyond the prereqs and get accepted at similar rates to other majors . With prereqs most applicants have 30-45 BCPM credits, an MCAT score, as well as an overall academic record showing the most important characteristic: have they mastered the student and academic skills neccessary for success in medical school coursework. Seriously, consideration of the content of what you have learned (as in your major) really does not matter

Yeah that makes sense. I suppose there are many ways to tell whether or not the student can handle in med school. I always figured it would be better for a science major as opposed to something else but I guess it really doesn't matter. there is the MCAT after all...

Half of all applicants are not bio majors of any kind. Social science and humanties majors may not have any thing beyond the prereqs and get accepted at similar rates to other majors . With prereqs most applicants have 30-45 BCPM credits, an MCAT score, as well as an overall academic record showing the most important characteristic: have they mastered the student and academic skills neccessary for success in medical school coursework. Seriously, consideration of the content of what you have learned (as in your major) really does not matter
This really lowers the neuroticism in me!