who got into pharmacy with low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Im in the same situation and i couldnt find ur old posts..My GPA is around 2.7 and I'm graduating this may in BS major..and planning to take the pcat ..once i took it and i did bad...do u think can i still get into pharmacy schools by this gpa if i do good on my pcat?

Im applying right now and I have a 3.05 gpa with a 60 pcat with a bs degree by spring 2012. I have gotten 2 interviews so far, which i will be going to. So its not the end of the world if ur gpa is low

Members don't see this ad.

I got in with a 2.55 gpa and a 57th comp on the PCAT

haha

j/k

i have a 3.55 gpa coming out of rx school and a 97th comp on the pcat and a 22aa on the dat.

US pharm schools sure are scraping the bottom of the barrel when people with such dismal scores can get in

this is why there is a public opinion that rxist just lick stick and pour

also why i would never trust a rxist to have more prescribing powers

haha

j/k

i have a 3.55 gpa coming out of rx school and a 97th comp on the pcat and a 22aa on the dat.

US pharm schools sure are scraping the bottom of the barrel when people with such dismal scores can get in

gpa isn't everything. I had a pretty low gpa with lots of experience and I am doing just fine. I may not have a 4.0 but I make up for that with practical knowledge and determination. you can be successful in other ways. also, there are a lot of really smart people in pharmacy school who are going to go on and do great things. public opinion may change over time as pharmacists begin to realize that without all the infighting we can really do a lot for the profession,

Members don't see this ad :)

haha

j/k

Your disorganized, poorly written posts on this forum really are interesting. You see, the irony is that you come off as "the bottom of the barrel" more than most of posters with "bad stats" did in this thread.

You know why? They took the time to structure their posts in a logical, clear manner. Kudos to your good test scores. But your maturity is severely lacking; the run on sentences were the giveaway. I don't claim to be an excellent writer. In fact, I probably misused that semi-colon a few seconds ago, but at least I put effort into all my communication with others.

But let's be honest. The reason you troll these boards is because you hate your decision to go into pharmacy. You feel like you're "better" than pharmacy. And instead of trying to improve the field to meet your standards, you bash on it to make yourself feel better. Because you have to make it clear to everyone else in pharmacy that you have so much more potential than them. Otherwise, what will you do? You can't maintain such a big ego with such low self-esteem.

Try using actions in real life instead of poorly-written rhetoric online. You might find you're a lot happier with your situation.

One more thing. Grow up.

Last edited:
Lol

Love the grammar nazis

You want to know why I got high stats? It's because i don't waste my time on forums making sure every post is grammatically correct.

It prob took me 1/3 the time for me to type this and reply ur comment

What I hate about ppl with low CPA going into this profession is that like the op, they lack foresight. They take the short term $ from cvs and walgreens or wtv corporations and now look at the rx profession. You're contolled by the corporations doing nothing a monkey can't do

Moreover, these idiots are content doing monkey work as long as they get their 100k so they accept it and don't try to push the professional scope of practice. And now look at the profession. With pa and nurses having more prescibing rights than rx despite less training.

There are so many ppl in pharmacy that don't deserve to be in it and they are gonna end up killing ppl and making mistakes and ruin the public image of all rxist

Lol

Love the grammar nazis

You want to know why I got high stats? It's because i don't waste my time on forums making sure every post is grammatically correct.

It prob took me 1/3 the time for me to type this and reply ur comment

What I hate about ppl with low CPA going into this profession is that like the op, they lack foresight. They take the short term $ from cvs and walgreens or wtv corporations and now look at the rx profession. You're contolled by the corporations doing nothing a monkey can't do

Moreover, these idiots are content doing monkey work as long as they get their 100k so they accept it and don't try to push the professional scope of practice. And now look at the profession. With pa and nurses having more prescibing rights than rx despite less training.

There are so many ppl in pharmacy that don't deserve to be in it and they are gonna end up killing ppl and making mistakes and ruin the public image of all rxist

Heh ... Communicating effectively is one of the most important skills with respect to being a pharmacist.

Therefore, given your commentary on the boards, it suggests that your skills may be lacking, proper grammar or not withstanding.

haha

j/k

Are you a troll?

OK, I decided to bite...

Love the grammar nazis

You're not even close to writing English. It has nothing to do with "grammar nazi-ism," it's that the language is dead in your posts. You've mistaken nitpicking for OMFG WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU.

What I hate about ppl with low CPA going into this profession is that like the op, they lack foresight.

What the heck is "low CPA?" Accountants playing limbo?

I'd say with your posts, you resemble those remarks. I really wouldn't like someone who expresses themselves at your level next to me at a football scrimmage, much less in a professional capacity. Are you too good to express your ideas clearly in English, or are you drunk-trolling?

I guess drunk-trolling when you're clearly rxist is better for your anonymity than drunken texts, tweets, or phone calls.

Heh ... Communicating effectively is one of the most important skills with respect to being a pharmacist.

Therefore, given your commentary on the boards, it suggests that your skills may be lacking, proper grammar or not withstanding.

uh, was there anything wrong with my syntax? how am i not effectively communicating that pharmacy is dead?

and you think i talk like this when i counsel pts?

lol

You're not even close to writing English. It has nothing to do with "grammar nazi-ism," it's that the language is dead in your posts. You've mistaken nitpicking for OMFG WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU.

and how is my language "dead"?

What the heck is "low CPA?" Accountants playing limbo?

lol

talk about nitpicking :rolleyes:

its called iphone auto corrects GPA to CPA

cry me a river

I'd say with your posts, you resemble those remarks. I really wouldn't like someone who expresses themselves at your level next to me at a football scrimmage, much less in a professional capacity. Are you too good to express your ideas clearly in English, or are you drunk-trolling?

you think i talk like this when i counsel pts?

you think the angry pharmacists says the stuff he posts on his blog to pts?

lol

how naive
I guess drunk-trolling when you're clearly rxist is better for your anonymity than drunken texts, tweets, or phone calls.
:confused:
uh...

nice syntax there...

your mastery of the english language astounds me :laugh:

btw, Rx = pharmacy

Rxist = pharmacist

Members don't see this ad :)
3.0 gpa, 84 pcat, few years of pharmacy experience in retail. Got accepted at 3 schools so far :D . I think if you nail the interview, you give yourself the greatest shot just with that. So nail the interview!

P.S. I know this thread is from '07 so my post isn't towards the OP but towards others who are currently looking for advice.

btw, Rx = pharmacy

Rxist = pharmacist

If you are honestly in pharmacy school, I would love to see the reaction on the faces of the faculty there if you told them Rx = pharmacy and Rxist = pharmacist.

Why not just say RPh? Fewer letters and it actually makes sense. :laugh:

why not switch to the metric system? More people use it and it actually makes sense.

Its called personal preferences.

If you are honestly in pharmacy school, I would love to see the reaction on the faces of the faculty there if you told them Rx = pharmacy and Rxist = pharmacist.

again, do you all think i act like this in faculty or in front of my pts?

do you think the angry pharmacist really curses at pts?

:smuggrin::laugh:

why not switch to the metric system? More people use it and it actually makes sense.

again, do you all think i act like this in faculty or in front of my pts?

do you think the angry pharmacist really curses at pts?

:smuggrin::laugh:

You don't even know what Rx means.

You crack me up. Personal preference drives you to use made up abbreviations that only you know? :laugh:

I suspect you are simply unfamiliar with the proper abbreviations.

I do wish we would move to the metric system, easier to learn, easier to use. BTW, I like your red herring. :thumbup:

You crack me up. Personal preference drives you to use made up abbreviations that only you know? :laugh:

my bad. i use it in my circle of friends.

and too difficult to type "pharmacy" instead of rx (yes i know that rx = prescription)

3.3 gpa and I FAILED 2 lower div courses. I got 79% on my PCAT on my first try and 93% on my second. So far, I received interview invites from every school I applied to except two because I just sent in the supplementals for those schools this week. If you have a low GPA, just do well on the PCAT and get experience. My friend got into pharmacy school with a 2.9. So far, I've been accepted to one school so far. :D

Pharmcas has just calculated my overall and I have a 2.4. I retook some courses but everything was averaged out. I don't know what to do now. I have alot of leadership and pharmacy experience as a tech at CVS and at the hospital. Do you think with my higher percentage I received on the PCAT in bio and chem, they would still consider or is it a done deal for me? :(

Pharmcas has just calculated my overall and I have a 2.4. I retook some courses but everything was averaged out. I don't know what to do now. I have alot of leadership and pharmacy experience as a tech at CVS and at the hospital. Do you think with my higher percentage I received on the PCAT in bio and chem, they would still consider or is it a done deal for me? :(

I think because your gpa doesnt meet the usual cut-off of a 2.5, your pcat wont even matter, but im not 100% sure

hi everyone , can any one tell me how i can convert my percentage to GPA for knowing my basic requirement for fundamental knowledge exam for DDS in canada . i m indian dentist and my aggregate is 58% and that too with second attempts:(. early reply is highly appreciated:)

Besides taking numerous classes to bring up your GPA for those of you who have less than 2.7. Some school might offers alternative, I know South University allow students to take the GMAT instead and if your combine score is 50% or above, you can be consider. Again, just a note for those who would rather take this alternate route.

I think some schools also judge by the last 60 credits you've taken.. if you've shown an upward trend in your gpa and have been above a set gpa, say a 3.2 for the most recent 60 credits, they would consider your application even if your total gpa doesn't meet minimum. UW-Madison does this actually.. I just checked :)

Thought I'd write in this thread to give people like myself a little hope!

Undergrad at Drexel University (Class of 2010)
Overall GPA: 3.18
Math/Science GPA: 3.05
PCAT Composite: 76

I didn't have a really good excuse for not doing well in school. I was sick when I took my PCAT but no one has asked me about my average PCAT score or grades so far in interviews.

I did fairly well in undergrad (A's and B's) but always procrastinated in one class per semester and got a "C". I did a year of post-bacc and then applied broadly to pharmacy schools on the east coast. So far I have been admitted to three schools (jefferson, albany, and temple). My advice is to be confident in your interviews and know "why pharmacy" and "why that school". Afterward work really hard while in pharm school so you'll be a competitive applicant for jobs after four years...that's my plan :)

Good luck to all current and future applicants!! :thumbup:

hi everyone , can any one tell me how i can convert my percentage to GPA for knowing my basic requirement for fundamental knowledge exam for DDS in canada . i m indian dentist and my aggregate is 58% and that too with second attempts:(. early reply is highly appreciated:)

You should probably check on the dentistry boards. Pharmacy students don't take that exam, to my knowledge.

Thought I'd write in this thread to give people like myself a little hope!

Undergrad at Drexel University (Class of 2010)
Overall GPA: 3.18
Math/Science GPA: 3.05
PCAT Composite: 76

I didn't have a really good excuse for not doing well in school. I was sick when I took my PCAT but no one has asked me about my average PCAT score or grades so far in interviews.

I did fairly well in undergrad (A's and B's) but always procrastinated in one class per semester and got a "C". I did a year of post-bacc and then applied broadly to pharmacy schools on the east coast. So far I have been admitted to three schools (jefferson, albany, and temple). My advice is to be confident in your interviews and know "why pharmacy" and "why that school". Afterward work really hard while in pharm school so you'll be a competitive applicant for jobs after four years...that's my plan :)

Good luck to all current and future applicants!! :thumbup:
Your right, that is good hope!

I in a somewhat similar situation but still have plenty of room for improvement. I still have almost 2 years left of my pre-pharmacy classes. My overall GPA is 2.8 being that the last time I was in school I was just a drifter who did not know what he wanted. I half-assed my classes and now I am paying the price. But its ok, because I am confident I will do well in my science courses and that will raise my GPA to above a 3.0. The difference is that for the first time in my life, I have a goal and a plan on how to get there. I show up to my classes with a good attitude and wanting to learn. That to me makes all the difference and will lead to good grades.
I will be taking the PCAT fall 2013 and am going to bust my butt off to get a good score. Im shooting for 85% and above.

I heard that the admissions office does notice a upward trend in your grades and if you did average/poor on one subject, nailing it off in the PCAT is a positive.

So yes, there is still hope.

are you guys going to write about how you were a drifter and are more focused now in your personal statement & supplementals? Im not sure if I should because it seems like an excuse since nothing big or traumatic happened.. i put it in mine but whoever proofread my stuff always said take it out

are you guys going to write about how you were a drifter and are more focused now in your personal statement & supplementals? Im not sure if I should because it seems like an excuse since nothing big or traumatic happened.. i put it in mine but whoever proofread my stuff always said take it out
That is a good question. I would think to mention it, but make it short. You want to let the admissions office know that you are committed now and whatever happened in the past is no longer who you are. They want to interview people who are interested and committed to becoming pharmacists, so I would figure that to mention when you turned your life around and became focused on your goal is important, no?

It definitely depends on how you spin it. I'd focus on what happened once you learned about pharmacy rather than the poor performance.

No one wants to read about your faults. No matter how you want to frame yourself, make it posative. Don't talk about being a drifter, talk about how you came to realize your passion is for pharmacy. Don't talk about your mistakes or your personal woes that you had to overcome unless it absolutely applies relivantly to your reason for seeking a career in this profession.

I agree with Incitatus. Don't talk about "it" unless you really have nothing else to write in your ps. If you decide to include "it", I would write about what you have learned in the process.

I did not mentioned about my gpa at all during the application process until an interviewer asked me about it. I just explained my situation and pointed out my upward trend of GPA, decent PCAT scores, and amount of units I took during college, which convinced the interviewer that I can perform well academically.

You all have very good points. I think I'll just leave it out for now. I already have so much to write about in my PS. If they see the trend in my grades anyway, is it safe to say it'll be self-explanatory?

Of course. Don't draw attention to your weaknesses even if it is just to excuse them. Focus on your strengths. Be sure to use firm language, no wishy-washy adjectives or verbs. Express yourself as confident, determined and well rounded.
(For instance, you were not a drifter, you traveled and had the pleasure of meeting and living among a diverse range of people from many different walks of life, which helped to affirm your passion for blah blah blah...)
Use the oppertunity to tell them something about yourself, while stating, clearly and confidently why you are choosing pharmacy.

Most adcom people are not looking for a reason to dismiss your application, so don't give them one.

This is pretty embarrassing but hopefully it might help give some hope to others.

I started by bachelors in 1999 and finished in 2005 with a overall GPA of 2.7 and science GPA of 2.2 :(. During this time, I had a rough patch with motivation and maturity as well as direction with what I wanted to do with my life. Also during this time, I withdrew from school for a semester to help my parents with a business venture. This is by no means any excuse for my poor undergraduate performance, I continue to regret not giving it 100% effort during that time.

Fast forward to now, I started by MBA at a private college in 2010 and have a 4.0 with expectations to graduate this May. On my second PCAT attempt I scored a 94 comp.
I have no volunteer or pharmacy tech experience but I do have 8 years of work experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing. With those stats, I applied broadly to 9 schools and received interviews at 3 schools and have been accepted by those 3 pharmacy schools.

In regards to the interviews, at one of the interviews, we were told to disclosure our scores and GPA to the interviewers for full disclosure. I thought it was quite awkward but I decided to bring it up and the interviewers acted as if they expected full disclosure. In any case, I explained my growth professionally and academically as well as how I've grown as a person.

This is pretty embarrassing but hopefully it might help give some hope to others.

I started by bachelors in 1999 and finished in 2005 with a overall GPA of 2.7 and science GPA of 2.2 :(. During this time, I had a rough patch with motivation and maturity as well as direction with what I wanted to do with my life. Also during this time, I withdrew from school for a semester to help my parents with a business venture. This is by no means any excuse for my poor undergraduate performance, I continue to regret not giving it 100% effort during that time.

Fast forward to now, I started by MBA at a private college in 2010 and have a 4.0 with expectations to graduate this May. On my second PCAT attempt I scored a 94 comp.
I have no volunteer or pharmacy tech experience but I do have 8 years of work experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing. With those stats, I applied broadly to 9 schools and received interviews at 3 schools and have been accepted by those 3 pharmacy schools.

In regards to the interviews, at one of the interviews, we were told to disclosure our scores and GPA to the interviewers for full disclosure. I thought it was quite awkward but I decided to bring it up and the interviewers acted as if they expected full disclosure. In any case, I explained my growth professionally and academically as well as how I've grown as a person.

GPA is just a number and part of the package. Nothing to be embarassed about. Congrats on your acceptance!

Hello everyone, haven't logged in for a long time. :)

For the purpose of this thread, I'll outline my current situation. I applied to SIU Edwardsville for Pharmacy School, and now I have an interview in a little over two weeks. My GPA is only 2.9 at a community college, and their minimum GPA for consideration is 2.75.

What I really think got my foot in the door was my PCAT, with a composite of 92. My personal statement might have helped as well. I had my personal statement checked by several people here, got their feedback, and adjusted it accordingly. I have lots of retail experience, but no formal pharmacy/volunteer experience or any kind of extra-curricular activities. I tailored my personal statement to relate my large amount of retail experience to pharmacy, and why retail experience would help me be a better pharmacist.

From what I've read, SIUE is actually quite picky about who they let into their pharmacy school. According to PharmCAS, only about 200 applicants each year get interviews, and only 80 of those 200 got accepted last year.

Link: http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/452

So, yeah. GPA isn't EVERYTHING, though it probably does help. I'm quite certain that my PCAT and Personal Statement got my foot in the door. It probably also does help that I have not scored anything below a B in the last year and a half - and those B's were only 2 classes.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, it definitely does not hurt to try. Just be sure that there isn't a required minimum at the schools you apply. Be confident, and don't let others discourage you. You know yourself better than anyone else.

Good luck!

i got into a competitive school with a 3.18 gpa and an even lower science gpa. i was hesistant to apply at first, as well, but don't give up! i am getting my bachelors and took very hard classes and did very well on my pcat, good luck! :thumbup:

I just submitted supplemental apps on 1-20 and I received 2 interviews on 1-24. My GPA is low as well as pcat scores. I only have 3 months of tech experience and shadowed 2 pharmacists. It looks like LORs and personal statement go along way.

Last edited:
Don't give up!

If you have few hundred dollars saved up that you can spend to apply then go for it. The worst that can happen is they will reject you for this cycle and you can re-apply again. IMO, it shows your motivation and passion towards the field.

My friend applied for Medical school at SUNY Downstate in NY. During the interview he was asked what if they don't accept him, what is his alternate plan. He replied, "I will go back and reapply again until I get in". He was accepted into the program

Do you lose money? yes but it shouldn't hinder you from applying.....

same as title. please list ur credentials.

I know its hard to not compare yourself to others, but you absolutely cannot. I have found that many pharmacy schools are dynamic and depending on your overall application plus your life accomplishments you cannot accurately define or hypothesize exactly what I a school is looking for. My advice to you is to apply, that's the only way you will ever know what your chances are. :) Good Luck!

my ochem professor just spent an entire class covering the best methods for applying to professional school. One of his major points was that GPA is important but LOR's can be more definitive of you as a person. He stressed the point of asking for LOR's early and making sure that you actually know the professor and that he knows you. He also added that personal statements are usually very similar and that they obviously try to present yourself as the ultimate candidate as they were written by you! LOR's actually provide an unbiased truth about who you are.

I have a PharmCAS calculated GPA of 2.69 and a 94 composite PCAT. I've received four interview invitations so far, and no rejections. I find out about acceptance starting this week, so we'll see how it actually goes, but I agree on the interview and LORs making a difference.

In my particular case, my low GPA is from undergrad coursework 6-12 years ago. I retook all my prereqs and managed a 4.0 for the repeated classes. I spoke with the Assistant Dean at WNEU and he confirmed that their school at least looks at trending and most recent grades.

I read here on this http://www.pharmdprograms.org/touro-college-of-pharmacy-ny/ that there is a university in New york called Touro University. It says only a minimum GPA of 2.50 is required. Also, you DON'T NEED A PCAT at the moment...maybe want to take advantage of it. Also, its only 2 years of classroom and 2 years of practice...something like a 2+2 program which is great for people who fall asleep in class LOL. This sounds like a great program, except I wonder about the quality of the students if getting it seems pretty easy compared to other places. I bet its really competitive though since everyone who didn't do well on the PCATs or do not want to take it will want to apply I'm sure. The best part of it is that its in Manhattan...must be fun.

How can you get 94% with 2.1 Gpa??? That is weird. I have studied a lot for the Pcat, but I only got around 81%.

hi my name is leonix i just read your forum just trying to acquire some info on how you studied in other to get a composite of 94
please help

I have a PharmCAS calculated GPA of 2.69 and a 94 composite PCAT. I've received four interview invitations so far, and no rejections. I find out about acceptance starting this week, so we'll see how it actually goes, but I agree on the interview and LORs making a difference.

In my particular case, my low GPA is from undergrad coursework 6-12 years ago. I retook all my prereqs and managed a 4.0 for the repeated classes. I spoke with the Assistant Dean at WNEU and he confirmed that their school at least looks at trending and most recent grades.
I was told the same by a Pre-pharmacy advisor at UF. Good thing they notice your hard work in recent years then the mistakes you made while you were indecisive and just didnt know what you wanted.