That said... if there is a conflict between me and a physician, I will be fired long before the doctor. I have seen it happen, as no fewer than 3 nurses were driven out of our OR by a particularly abusive surgeon, and I may become the 4th if no one else beats me to the honor. He is allowed to behave in ways that endanger patients, and to be verbally and even physically abusive to staff. However, he is a rockstar neurosurgeon, who earns millions upon millions for the hospital every year. He is seen as a profit center. Nurses and anesthesiologists are seen as cost centers. I've even seen a radiologist (cost center) lose her job for standing up for one of her techs in a conflict with this surgeon. At least once a year a formal complaint is filed, yet somehow, he is able to persist. I really don't understand it given that our facility gives so much lip service to creating a safe culture for staff.
That kind of job security isn't the draw of medicine for me. Rather, it is another reason to choose a specialty (Family Med) that I can practice far away from hospital administrators.