Who's applying to Florida schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Early in the process we corresponded and they said that I def. had an interview and it would be scheduled within the next couple days. Its no longer early in the process and no interview was ever scheduled, and when I called they said they were sorry and they would contact me...

That's weak on their part. Some schools suck about stuff like that.... aarrghh so disillusioned with adcoms right now.

BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:barf: +pissed+ 👎
 
Yea Robyn will call you from UF for interview. I have officially given up on UF, was considering but not anymore. I thought that I had a pretty strong shot there but have been on this hold nonsense for quite a while. Good stats, good experience, (see mdapps link below if you want), and I thought I did well in interviews. I may have been too nervous to do well, I don't know.

I'm actually glad though, USF is my top choice and that has made my decision even easier. I wouldn't want to get confused, you poor people with a lot of acceptances! I think the only thing that would pull me away from USF at this point is a strong scholarship elsewhere.

Yeah I've given up on UF and Miami to be quite honest. I've been complete since August at both schools and every time I email them, I get a song and a dance or no answer at all. It just is really strange given my stats and all my experience. Oh well, thier loss. But just to be curious, when do they offer interview invites until?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know when they offer them until, but they were one of my very first (Sep. 22) if it helps. I don't know if there is a correlation between how early they start and how late they'll go.

Stick with USF anyway, looks like me and you will be classmates.
 
I don't know when they offer them until, but they were one of my very first (Sep. 22) if it helps. I don't know if there is a correlation between how early they start and how late they'll go.

Stick with USF anyway, looks like me and you will be classmates.

Most schools in Florida will interview until the end of March, possibly into early April.
 
Yeah I've given up on UF and Miami to be quite honest. I've been complete since August at both schools and every time I email them, I get a song and a dance or no answer at all. It just is really strange given my stats and all my experience. Oh well, thier loss. But just to be curious, when do they offer interview invites until?

it's a crapshoot. Don't worry, at least you liked USF and you have gotten in there.
 
Yeah I've given up on UF and Miami to be quite honest. I've been complete since August at both schools and every time I email them, I get a song and a dance or no answer at all. It just is really strange given my stats and all my experience. Oh well, thier loss.

I'm new here and catching up on old posts...didn't you post on the 29MCAT club thread that you had a 29 or 28 MCAT (not knocking that MCAT score bc I also got a 28)...but, from what I've heard and experienced in this process, those are decent scores but certainly not going to get most adcoms beating down your door. I'm sure you have a lot of excellent experience, but I'd hardly call those stats shoo ins for UM and especially UF. While I'd love to get into Miami or UF...I certainly am not surprised I haven't heard from either of those schools.

P.S. sorry in advance if I am confusing you with another angel poster, but I could have sworn it was you.
 
I'm new here and catching up on old posts...didn't you post on the 29MCAT club thread that you had a 29 or 28 MCAT (not knocking that MCAT score bc I also got a 28)...but, from what I've heard and experienced in this process, those are decent scores but certainly not going to get most adcoms beating down your door. I'm sure you have a lot of excellent experience, but I'd hardly call those stats shoo ins for UM and especially UF. While I'd love to get into Miami or UF...I certainly am not surprised I haven't heard from either of those schools.

P.S. sorry in advance if I am confusing you with another angel poster, but I could have sworn it was you.

UM has only gotten more competitive with time. This year's entering class had an average MCAT of 30-31. While a 28 is certainly within range, please realize that our school is still difficult to get into.
 
I was in the MCAT range class of 30-31 at UM and I got a 29...was never waitlisted-so obviously, you still have a chance with a 28/29.

And I know someone at UF now with a 24MCAT...

Edit: but yeah, UM is increasingly more competitive each year.
 
I was in the MCAT range class of 30-31 at UM and I got a 29...was never waitlisted-so obviously, you still have a chance with a 28/29.

And I know someone at UF now with a 24MCAT...

Edit: but yeah, UM is increasingly more competitive each year.

Wow I suck with my 32...cuz I'm waitlisted...
 
No, no...neither of you suck! Each applicant has different qualities...there is no "mold" for a perfect applicant!
 
Hey don't feel bad. At UF Im on post-interview hold with a 36 and 3.8something. Talk about terrible interview skills. :laugh: We both suck.

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence McMD, but I really thought my UM interview was my best one ever.

POINT: The whole process is a total crapshoot. At one of my interviews a fellow interviewee literally anounced that and I was glad to see someone feels the same as I 🙂
 
I've posted this a zillion times, but I think it's worth reiterating that stats aren't everything. I scored a 43 on the MCAT and still got rejected from several schools (some pre-interview, some post-interview). I also got accepted to several others, some with full scholarships. Just because one school is lukewarm or downright rejects you doesn't mean that you won't be very successful elsewhere. That's why most of us don't only apply to one school. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've posted this a zillion times, but I think it's worth reiterating that stats aren't everything. I scored a 43 on the MCAT and still got rejected from several schools (some pre-interview, some post-interview). I also got accepted to several others, some with full scholarships. Just because one school is lukewarm or downright rejects you doesn't mean that you won't be very successful elsewhere. That's why most of us don't only apply to one school. 🙂

I know I know 🙂, I'm just joshing around on here. QofQ you're also my hero...that's right McMD, you can't have her all to yourself.
 
I'm new here and catching up on old posts...didn't you post on the 29MCAT club thread that you had a 29 or 28 MCAT (not knocking that MCAT score bc I also got a 28)...but, from what I've heard and experienced in this process, those are decent scores but certainly not going to get most adcoms beating down your door. I'm sure you have a lot of excellent experience, but I'd hardly call those stats shoo ins for UM and especially UF. While I'd love to get into Miami or UF...I certainly am not surprised I haven't heard from either of those schools.

P.S. sorry in advance if I am confusing you with another angel poster, but I could have sworn it was you.

No your right I have a 29S but I also have a 4.0 in biochemistry. I thought my GPA would have helped for my one stupid point lower on my MCAT. The only reason I question UM is because a friend of mine got in with a 28 and a 3.5 last year in biology without nearly all the experience I have and a fellow classmate of mine, got an interview in Oct from UF with a 29P and a 3.8. But no big deal, I am totally excited about going to USF. Its where I wanted to go since God knows when. I love the school and the area, its the perfect place for me. I'd never want to go to GAinesville, nothing to do up there. And Miami is just a little to crazy for me. I just thought the whole process was a little crazy...honestly, it doesn't make much sense!


So yeah TPROrgoTutor2 looks like we will be classmates!!! Yay for USF.
 
Hey what's all this talk about jessy_erin and TPROrgoTutor2. That is so not cool you guys! I'm sure that your apps both rccks. Hey like you guys said, it all a gamble!

I have an idea...I think we should start our own medical school! Honestly, those who understand the process and have gone through it are the perfect people for designing a new system that isn't so much of a gamble!
 
Okay one more question, I'm on a scholarship for undergrad so I never filed for financial aid....Where do I go to fill out the financial aid app for medical school? Do you guys know the website?
 
I have observed from these posts the following theme:

If you didn't get into a school, or didnt get an interview for a school, then you will convince yourself that you didn't want to go to that school anyway, and that you were in love with the school that accepted you.

Secondly, I'm not sure on what basis people have put U of Miami on a pedestool, i have an interview there next month, and see no reason why this school is thought to be better than USF, its not ranked either, its on the same level. According to the AMCAS book, U of Miami is also easier to get in.

The only school, which appears to be above the rest of the florida schools, is UF, and i haven't gotten an interview but would love to go there (notice just because i havent been accepted or granted an interview, i dont pretend or convince myself i didnt want to go there). Its ranked, has great research oppurtunities (when looking for a residency this will help out for specialities), well respected when it comes time for residency, and the students have all expressed great love for there first year program.
 
\.

The only school, which appears to be above the rest of the florida schools, is UF, and i haven't gotten an interview but would love to go there (notice just because i havent been accepted or granted an interview, i dont pretend or convince myself i didnt want to go there). Its ranked, has great research oppurtunities (when looking for a residency this will help out for specialities), well respected when it comes time for residency, and the students have all expressed great love for there first year program.
Yes, its ranked and seems to make matching easier but the students I ran into were 👎 👎 I asked a group where blah blah room was for the start of my interview and they were even worse than the students (They were interns)

And trust me, the first statement isn't true as I have been very down about the other school that was at the top of my list and if they called to accept me I'd have a struggle with the decision of USF/ them
 
If you didn't get into a school, or didnt get an interview for a school, then you will convince yourself that you didn't want to go to that school anyway, and that you were in love with the school that accepted you.

That behavior is pretty consistent across SDN. This statement is the only thing I will agree with you on.

Secondly, I'm not sure on what basis people have put U of Miami on a pedestool, i have an interview there next month, and see no reason why this school is thought to be better than USF, its not ranked either, its on the same level.

I assume that you're referring to the U.S. News & World Report's annual rankings of universities. U.S. News does rank all medical schools. However, it only publishes the results from the top 50. Last year, USF was in the 80s while Miami was in the 50s. Ask the admissions committees at each when you interview if you'd like confirmation.

According to the AMCAS book, U of Miami is also easier to get in.

This statement is misleading. Fewer people apply to UM, yet Miami has a larger entering class, meaning that the acceptance rate is going to be higher. That's like saying, "Getting accepted to Washington University is easier than getting into Georgetown."

The only school, which appears to be above the rest of the florida schools, is UF, and i haven't gotten an interview but would love to go there (notice just because i havent been accepted or granted an interview, i dont pretend or convince myself i didnt want to go there). Its ranked,

UF is currently ranked 50. In 2002 it was ranked 40. Dropping 10 spots over a 4 year period is not a good sign.

has great research oppurtunities (when looking for a residency this will help out for specialities),

UF, UM, and USF all have great research opportunities. Each school has its own specialties that are worth considering. Further, given that so few med students actually participate in research, I don't know why this argument gets thrown around so much.

well respected when it comes time for residency

Check the match lists. You'll see that students do well from USF, UF, and UM when match rolls around.

and the students have all expressed great love for there first year program

But what have you heard about their third and fourth year rotations? I fail to see how Gainesville can match the clinical opportunities given in Miami and Tampa.
 
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ is the FAFSA's website. You'll need to get a PIN number now from the site so that you can electronically sign documents when the time is right. Also, have your 2006 tax return ready when you finally file the FAFSA. The application takes a long time to fill out the first time.

Thank you much! I'll do that today!
 
I have observed from these posts the following theme:

If you didn't get into a school, or didnt get an interview for a school, then you will convince yourself that you didn't want to go to that school anyway, and that you were in love with the school that accepted you.

Secondly, I'm not sure on what basis people have put U of Miami on a pedestool, i have an interview there next month, and see no reason why this school is thought to be better than USF, its not ranked either, its on the same level. According to the AMCAS book, U of Miami is also easier to get in.

The only school, which appears to be above the rest of the florida schools, is UF, and i haven't gotten an interview but would love to go there (notice just because i havent been accepted or granted an interview, i dont pretend or convince myself i didnt want to go there). Its ranked, has great research oppurtunities (when looking for a residency this will help out for specialities), well respected when it comes time for residency, and the students have all expressed great love for there first year program.

I don't believe that most people here are convincing themselves about certain school. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I know that when I was looking at undergraduate schools I was looking to stay within close proximity to a medical school and hospitals where I can shadow and volunteer. I chose St. Pete/Tampa because of USF. Although I didn't want to attend undergraduate there becuase of the size, I knew even back then that I wanted to attend medical school there for a couple reason mainly because it was close to home and since I want to practice in the state, I figured going to a state medical school would just make things easier in terms of job placement. I also loved how much the school was changing. I'm a big fan of change and if a place remains stagnet to long (like some of the schools in the state) then I think they need to re-evaluate things, because if anyone missed it the world is changing!

I think its a little rude to say that people convince themselves of things. Most people here are happy to get into medical school (that is the point of applying to medical school) regardless of if it was thier top choice or not. If people only wanted one school they could apply there (as many people now do), but there are many people who are undecided about a school until they actually go there to interveiw or start talking to other people about it. To be perfectly honest, if someone is as dead set on going to med school as I am (and most people here are and in some cases even more so), then getting into any school is ten times better then not getting into a single school.

Good luck with your interview. Be sure to let us know how it went! Best of luck on the rest of the process :luck:
 
Keep in mind that you cannot file the FAFSA until you complete your tax return (around March or so). However, you should get it all completed as soon as possible once you have the necessary paper work.

Yeah I'll just get the PIN request out of the way and find out what paperwork I actually need for when the time is right. This way it will save me some time in the long run! Thanks dueist for the info!
 
Ha. I don't see anything wrong with convincing yourself that the school you get into has always been your top choice and that you didn't even want to go to the other schools! You can't go to the other schools (since you didn't get accepted to them), and you are going to be at the school you got accepted to, so why not make yourself happy about your future?
 
Ha. I don't see anything wrong with convincing yourself that the school you get into has always been your top choice and that you didn't even want to go to the other schools! You can't go to the other schools (since you didn't get accepted to them), and you are going to be at the school you got accepted to, so why not make yourself happy about your future?
It's all about optimism...it you can't keep an optimistic mind, you will find yourself miserable in med school because everyday is definitely not a day at the beach...it's all about the attitude you keep throughout the years that will determine your happiness!
 
I chose St. Pete/Tampa because of USF. Although I didn't want to attend undergraduate there becuase of the size,

Where did you go for undergrad? Does USF take any out of staters usually? I know FSU doesn't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's all about optimism...it you can't keep an optimistic mind, you will find yourself miserable in med school because everyday is definitely not a day at the beach...it's all about the attitude you keep throughout the years that will determine your happiness!
To add to Duiest's post...If my memory serves me correctly, UM is ranked #53 and UF #50-not that big of a difference, but rankings, my friend-don't determine happiness!
 
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence McMD, but I really thought my UM interview was my best one ever.

POINT: The whole process is a total crapshoot. At one of my interviews a fellow interviewee literally anounced that and I was glad to see someone feels the same as I 🙂

I think the better word here should be that the whole process is subjective. There may be other reasons why you got waitlisted and obviously the numbers aren't the reason. It could be something lacking in clinical experience or extracurriculars or maybe they just thought you were not a good fit with the kind of student body they were trying to get at the particular campus of your choice. I don't know. its hard to say but don't think its the mcat that did it. I doubt it with a 32.
 
Do to an oversight on my part I just recently became complete at USF and FSU (one missing LOR)😱 . Do I still have a general chance at getting an interview so late in the process?😕 Can anyone guesstimate what percentage of the incoming classes at these schools have already been filled?
 
QofQ, you are my hero!! A 43!!
😳 I wouldn't say my MCAT score makes me a hero, but I do think it's important for everyone to understand that no stats, no MCAT score, will guarantee you anything in this process. I'm telling you applicants who think that all that matters is stats: you couldn't be more wrong. If you have competitive or stellar stats and you're not getting interviews or acceptances, you need to take a long, hard look at the rest of your app.
 
To all us USF bound folks: Here's what to except via email in the next few months....
End of January--something from Financial Aid about the overall process
Sometime in Feb---info from Student Affairs about immunizations, computers, etc
Sometime between March & April---info on housing!

Hope that helps, I know a lot of us were wondering what to expect!
 
To all us USF bound folks: Here's what to except via email in the next few months....
End of January--something from Financial Aid about the overall process
Sometime in Feb---info from Student Affairs about immunizations, computers, etc
Sometime between March & April---info on housing!

Hope that helps, I know a lot of us were wondering what to expect!

Thank you!
 
Most schools in Florida will interview until the end of March, possibly into early April.

I just wanted to add to this. I have had friends in the past couple of years who have interviewed on one of the very last interviews but gotten a higher position on the waitlists then those who have been interviewed early in the season. These same people were in the highest tier of the waitlist that they were one of the first ones to get off the waitlist in some cases.

so interviewing late, while not the best thing, doesn't always mean a bad thing.
 
Hey what's all this talk about jessy_erin and TPROrgoTutor2. That is so not cool you guys! I'm sure that your apps both rccks. Hey like you guys said, it all a gamble!

I have an idea...I think we should start our own medical school! Honestly, those who understand the process and have gone through it are the perfect people for designing a new system that isn't so much of a gamble!

There is already a thread for this idea. its called the hogwarts school of medicine. hahahahahaha
 
I think the better word here should be that the whole process is subjective. There may be other reasons why you got waitlisted and obviously the numbers aren't the reason. It could be something lacking in clinical experience or extracurriculars or maybe they just thought you were not a good fit with the kind of student body they were trying to get at the particular campus of your choice. I don't know. its hard to say but don't think its the mcat that did it. I doubt it with a 32.

Oh, I absolutely understand it wasn't my stats that didn't get me acceptances/interviews at certain places. I know what my clinical experience and EC's might look like to an admissions committee. Moreso, I think it's just that my AMCAS essay is the kind of thing that some adcoms love and some adcoms hate. Also, I don't think I did the best job of filling out AMCAS the way I should have for some of my EC's...

Thing is, I think I just needed more guidance, and also I had the opportunity to go to medical school at 19 and decided against it, because I felt I was too young. I don't regret that, but since my application for that program was at 18, it's been 7 years since I've known FOR SURE the med school was my thing. Somewhere in between that, I guess I wanted to do other things, and I haven't done that much hospital volunteer work in the last few years, aside from lots of shadowing I got to do from my research job. It's my own fault.

In addition, going to the top school in Canada was probably a mistake (not like I had a choice) in retrospect, because I didnt excel there initially, and my undergrad GPA is dirty :laugh:.

There are, however, people that got accepted to top US schools with fewer volunteer/clinical experiences than I, and I'm almost positive it was related to stats. I think sometimes when you go to certain schools, GPA and MCAT are enough if they are STELLAR, but sometimes when you go to "XYZ nobody knows me school" you don't get interviews anywhere. You guys can say my logic is faulty, but a close friend of mine did go to the Harvard of Canada and perfect grades and a high (not as high as Q's) MCAT, and was accepted with LESS EC's than many of you. The thing is that sometimes "breeding" does count and an excellent GPA and MCAT from a top school will guarantee and interview at certain places if you have a minimum # of ECs or just barely...But, when you have average MCAT/low GPA, I don't think it matters where you went to school anymore 😀

Anyways, my application sucks, because I haven't volunteered anywhere in the past 3 years and can't fill out AMCAS, also I'm not doing anything of "value" with my year off. I had a job in clinical research this year, which fizzled out, and I keep getting calls from labs to come for interviews. Too little too late I suppose, and I'm not going to lie to these people at these labs and say that I can commit. I guess I just go to the interviews to meet them and make connections and hope that there is something they would want me for. Sadly, they all tell me they would hire me on the spot if it wasn't for my matriculating in the fall... Really, I don't want to switch jobs anymore and even though I can barely pay my rent/bills, maybe it's for the best. Unfortunately, I probably should have just done something secure like applied to do the one year training award thing at the NIH. Well hindsight is 20/20.

Now you all know my story, if some of you didn't already, and I hope I'm not too bitter-sounding for your liking. I pray that a few acceptances or interview invites fall from the sky and hit me in the head, because I could really use some right now.
 
Have some faith jessy_erin! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks AmericanAngel 🙂. I just thought I'd share. I don't want people to think I'm so bitter and I try to be helpful to people on SDN, but sometimes I get a bit disgruntled/disillusioned/dis-whatever LOL
 
Thanks AmericanAngel 🙂. I just thought I'd share. I don't want people to think I'm so bitter and I try to be helpful to people on SDN, but sometimes I get a bit disgruntled/disillusioned/dis-whatever LOL


Hey everyone gets like that now and again! Everyone is human!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So our thread has become very pessimestic lately! I think it might have something to do with the lack of sunshine down here in the sunshine state! Any idea how to turn this thread around?
 
Bring back Red Tide and you'll see this forum turn around in an instant.

I'm hoping that stays at bay! Man, I got pneumonia from it not this summer but the summer before. There were sooooo many dead fish and you couldn't even walk outside from the smelll. Oh bad memories!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.