Why do local dentists hire Temple over Penn/NYU due to clinical skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

templeORpenn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. This is first post of mine and please excuse English as is not first language (Singapore). I have been shadow practice in Pennsylvania and New York for past three months. Five doctors told me that they do not hire Penn or NYU new completed students. Only Temple, but sometimes Pitt or Maryland if they want job too. I asked why not Penn or NYU and this is what they said. Both have very bad clinical standard, but Temple has much better. One says he throw out applicant because past doctors lack foundation skills like drill, theory, and clinic skills. I message three students one from Temple and two from Penn from talk to admissions and tour. Penn doctor did not see hear about this. Temple student said that he hears that, but only because Penn is research strong school. I ask him what about NYU and he said his friends work there is like his A is a no pass at Temple, but NYU is very good last two years. I do not know what to think of this. Can someone of three school please talk below for help me understand. Also, if any user also from Singapore, please message because I want friendly school to my culture. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about NYU pre-clinic, but Penn is a research school. Temple is a clinical based school and its all they focus on. I'm not surprised their students have stronger skills their first year out, but I don't think the difference can possibly be so bad they won't hire penn/NYU grads. Besides, NYU has to do a residency which teaches them. Penn probably does GPR because if you don't specialize, they aren't confident enough. Big SG in NY, so consider that.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know much about NYU pre-clinic, but Penn is a research school. Temple is a clinical based school and its all they focus on. I'm not surprised their students have stronger skills their first year out, but I don't think the difference can possibly be so bad they won't hire penn/NYU grads. Besides, NYU has to do a residency which teaches them. Penn probably does GPR because if you don't specialize, they aren't confident enough. Big SG in NY, so consider that.
It's amazing that you can come up with such a detailed response OP exactly 3 minutes after he posted it. Especially after not posting for 3 months...

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard Temple is good but I've also heard NYU being pretty good for clinical too. Penn is more research heavy but either way DS is nothing compared to private practice dentistry in terms of speed in the clinic.

Reactions: 1 users