Why is this considered a bad grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wut?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are B-'s so bad? Why are they so frowned upon when technically its a 80-82?

Members don't see this ad.

You would no longer be capable of having a 4.0 GPA.

Reactions: 5 users
Few arent bad. Also remember you're competing against bunch o' A gunners.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The +/- was created to annoyed and prevent people from achieving a 4.0 GPA.

A few B-'s aren't bad.

A transcript full of them leads to a low GPA, which is not good for applying to med school

If you got one or even a few, I suggest you move on and aim to do better in the rest of your courses

Reactions: 1 users
A grade of B- translates to a 2.7 which is either average or below average at several universities. About half of all my classes had a curve around a B- meaning half of the students did better. This is true for many universities. So having several B-‘s essentially means that the student is consistently failing to get into the top half of the class.

You also have to consider GPA effect. A B- has to be counterbalanced by three A’s to get a 3.68. Filter for median GPA <3.7 for schools on MSAR and it results in 22 school, half of which are state schools who don’t want anything to do with OOS students. The other half have bad stigmas attached to them. And this is assuming that the transcript is at least 75% A’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It’s bad in relation to those with a 92.

This is a competition and competition is cold hearted

On the grand scheme of things, a B- is not bad. However, like anything else in life, moving-up the ladder means more competition.
Compare it to running track. Sure, a 4:30 mile is impressive... Will it get you to states? Yes. Will it get you to college? Yes. Will it get you to the Olympics? No.

Why are B-'s so bad? Why are they so frowned upon when technically its a 80-82?
Even a single F won't kill you.

Context uis everything. Do you have a few B-'s spread here and there, but still have a high GPA? That's fine.

MNore B-'s clustered in JR/SR year? That says you have trouble with difficult coursework. And here, B-s are NOT good.

The median GPA of MD acceptees is 3.7+.

Dude, a few B-'s are fine, especially if you look at the class it was in. I got a B- in my very first higher level Bio class, it w as a 4000 and it was just so new to me ( studying for it/ taking those exams without choking) the competition in that class was brutal. Most people, even the prof, would say that's respectable given the circumstances. B- are normal, respectable, and something that a great student gets when they struggle a bit. A lot of average students will get a C or a D in class were they strugggle.

And Idk LoveBeingHuman :) is saying, most of my Uni classes had C/C+ average, sometimes even a C-. A B- is usually above average in most college classes. I guess it depends on the school but you can't make sweeping statements like that.

Logically, a B+ or higher is considered a good grade. A B/B- is respectable, just not "good".

A B- is not a bad grade at all. In the world of pre-medicine however, you may have been brainwashed into thinking that way. It is a subpar grade for getting into medical school given the stiff competition, but by no means suggests that your understanding of the material is inadequate.

Members don't see this ad :)
A B- is not a bad grade at all. In the world of pre-medicine however, you may have been brainwashed into thinking that way. It is a subpar grade for getting into medical school given the stiff competition, but by no means suggests that your understanding of the material is inadequate.
Even pre meds have a few B-'s here and there, you just need enough A's to lift them up.

There's a difference between B- in Ochem/Biochem and a B- in stats...

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on the stats class.
The intro stats most bio majors take compared to the real density orgo and Biochem we take means a B- in Orgo II is nothing like a B- in stats.
Stats class for stats/math majors are a whoollleee other story.

don't stress so much about a few B's

A in Ochem 1 and 2.
B in Calculus 2 for engineers.
B- in speaker audience communication.

Sooo yeah... depends on the class.

Thank you everyone for responding!