Will a W look bad on my dental school application?

Started by Samimsee
Tags Tags
dental school
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Samimsee

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, so I've been struggling in my Organic Chemistry class this semester and I was really depending on doing well on my last 2 exams. However, the COVID situation happened and all of my classes shifted online. And to prevent cheating, my orgo professor only allowed us 50 mins for a 40 question Organic chemistry exam using a lockdown browser. I didn't have enough time to complete the exam and didn't do so well. I have my final exam in 2 weeks and the last day to drop the class is next week for me. I currently have a D in the class and I don't want to fail the final also and end up with an F. Do you think a "W" will look bad on my application given the circumstances with COVID-19? This will be the only "W" on my transcript. Or take my chances to try to ace the final (which will be challenging) to end up with a low C?

My university also allows us to go with the Pass/ Fail option this semester.
So if I do end up with a C- or a D It would show up as (XP) (Extraordinary circumstances, pass).
I know most dental schools do not accept pass/fail for prerequisite classes, but do you think they would make an exception during these times?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, so I've been struggling in my Organic Chemistry class this semester and I was really depending on doing well on my last 2 exams. However, the COVID situation happened and all of my classes shifted online. And to prevent cheating, my orgo professor only allowed us 50 mins for a 40 question Organic chemistry exam using a lockdown browser. I didn't have enough time to complete the exam and didn't do so well. I have my final exam in 2 weeks and the last day to drop the class is next week for me. I currently have a D in the class and I don't want to fail the final also and end up with an F. Do you think a "W" will look bad on my application given the circumstances with COVID-19? This will be the only "W" on my transcript. Or take my chances to try to ace the final (which will be challenging) to end up with a low C?

My university also allows us to go with the Pass/ Fail option this semester.
So if I do end up with a C- or a D It would show up as (XP) (Extraordinary circumstances, pass).
I know most dental schools do not accept pass/fail for prerequisite classes, but do you think they would make an exception during these times?

Thanks!

W looks better than a D or an F. Even if you make a C- on it, I'd recommend re-taking the course (some schools won't even take a C-).
 
I would take the W. It’s better than a non passing grade. I had W’s on my transcript and didn’t get asked about it on any of my interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad