Will this make an Adcom roll their eyes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franzliszt1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN community,

Hope you are all doing well. If I have to write about a time I failed (and how I responded), what is the general wisdom on writing about my organic chemistry course.

I scored around a 55% and a 65% on my first two tests, didn't panic, turned it around, earned an A on the last three tests (including the comprehensive final), but finished with a B. Will this make an Adcom roll their eyes?
Also, should I make any attempt to explain the first two test grades? I.e. my mother left home as part of divorcing my dad and I also took on an 8 week leadership role in my fraternity during the time period of the first two tests. I don't feel 100% comfortable writing about that stuff on my secondary, but if you all feel it would help the essay I can get over it. Of note, I earned a B+ in Orgo II *Homer Simpson face palm* .

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It made me roll my eyes but I'm not an adcom.

Reactions: 11 users
I think it's generally better to talk about a failure that isn't related to grades

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's generally better to talk about a failure that isn't related to grades
This.

However, if chemistry has always been the bane of your existence and you’re really proud of your upward trend, be sure to convey this with more than “so then I got a B”.

Dear SDN community,

Hope you are all doing well. If I have to write about a time I failed (and how I responded), what is the general wisdom on writing about my organic chemistry course.

I scored around a 55% and a 65% on my first two tests, didn't panic, turned it around, earned an A on the last three tests (including the comprehensive final), but finished with a B. Will this make an Adcom roll their eyes?
Also, should I make any attempt to explain the first two test grades? I.e. my mother left home as part of divorcing my dad and I also took on an 8 week leadership role in my fraternity during the time period of the first two tests. I don't feel 100% comfortable writing about that stuff on my secondary, but if you all feel it would help the essay I can get over it. Of note, I earned a B+ in Orgo II *Homer Simpson face palm* .

Auto reject material. We don't want people whose whole lives revolve around academics.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear SDN community,

In the larger context, you DIDN'T fail.

Reactions: 1 users
Stopped halfway through due to my eyes being pointed at the back of my skull

Reactions: 2 users
Dear SDN community,

Failure? You could talk about that time you posted on SDN. That's about as good as any.

Seriously though. Boring read. Something besides grades.

Reactions: 1 user
I made a D my first time around in orgo. Made a C the second time. This made me roll my eyes.

I’d be more interested in reading about how your parents’ divorce led you to hit the bottle really hard and nearly fail out of college, but then you got it together and started peer counseling your fraternity brothers through similar situations. But I’m not an ad-com.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I asked SDN before submitting this.