Will transferring negatively impact me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SharpSabre

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started a thread about the affects of me transferring from UCLA to UCD. I have done well in my first year (3.8 or so) at UCLA taking the life science route but am generally unhappy here and do not like the atmosphere, people, lack of seasons, or school in general. It overall has made me quite miserable.

I was hoping to try and transfer to UCD which is significantly closer to home and in Nor Cal. However, I would have to spend another year at UCLA before I am even a candidate for transfer. I and my parents are hesitant to go to a school where I am miserable for another year. As well, even after I transfer I will still be stuck in the ultra impersonal environment that most UC's create.
I'm not dissing UC's as they are fantastic schools just don't know if they are for me.

My mother suggested that I try to transfer this summer to a smaller private school. Money isn't an issue as the private school offers transfer with my gpa a scholarship that makes the cost equivalent to that of a UC.

However, here is the big question.

Would it significantly affect my chances of admission to a dental school if I transfer from UCLA to a lesser known private school? Even if I perform the same academically.

I believe I will do just the same if not better gpa wise at the private school but this is not my reason for transferring at all. I will still study for the dat and get shadowing and clinical programs at this school as well. I will study about the same major.

The school I am looking at is Dominican University.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental schools won't look down upon it, but something you have to consider is will the small liberal arts school offer you the same academic, research, and extracurricular opportunities as a school like UCLA would, since admissions to dental school is not only about the GPA and DAT but also the variety of experiences you acquire.

Dental schools won't look down upon it, but something you have to consider is will the small liberal arts school offer you the same academic, research, and extracurricular opportunities as a school like UCLA would, since admissions to dental school is not only about the GPA and DAT but also the variety of experiences you acquire.
The school I am looking at actually had a pre dental program. They have agreements and internships that students are guarenteered to attend as well as shadowing opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay personally I don't think it would affect your application too much then, unless you want to go to UCLA dental school

Okay personally I don't think it would affect your application too much then, unless you want to go to UCLA dental school
Okay thanks. I don't plan on applying to ucla dental school due to the atmosphere of La in general. So, I don't think it will be too much of a loss

The school I am looking at actually had a pre dental program. They have agreements and internships that students are guarenteered to attend as well as shadowing opportunities.
can you please send me a link of this program? I'm looking it up but can't find anything :confused: