Will Trump win again???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere between 1-100. How is this a relevant question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Breaking bread with people of different faiths was one of my more informal, but very thorough effective ways to experience and gain empathy when I was in divinity school. It allows a commonality and shared experience over and above what we merely read or something that was passed by word of mouth. Also, it is an overt exercise to exhibit both real humility and active listening and understanding without preconceived notions and assumptions.

I have been in mosque all over the world, as well as synagogues, sat down in worship with Sikhs, Hindus, Taoist, Buddhist, hours in robust debates with atheists, native people in hogans, shared kava with Samoans in Samoa...etc

So, I ask you how many Muslims do you actually count as friends?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So you deny that sharia makes women less equal than men, believes homosexuals should be murdered, and that Muslims shouldn’t kill non believers?

“What the Qur’an Teaches Us:
We have used the most widely available English text of the Qur’an and readers are welcome to verify our quotes from the holy book. Please have an open mind and read through these verses again and again. The following quotes are taken from the most trusted Yusufali’s translation of the Qur’an.

The Qur’an tells us: “not to make friendship with Jews and Christians” (5:51), “kill the disbelievers wherever we find them” (2:191), “murder them and treat them harshly” (9:123), “fight and slay the Pagans, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem”

(9:5). The Qur’an demands that we fight the unbelievers, and promises “If there are twenty amongst you, you will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, you will vanquish a thousand of them” (8:65).

Allah and his messenger want us to fight the Christians and the Jews “until they pay the Jizya [a penalty tax for the non-Muslims living under Islamic rules] with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued” (9:29).

Allah and his messenger announce that it is acceptable to go back on our promises (treaties) and obligations with Pagans and make war on them whenever we find ourselves strong enough to do so (9:3). Our God tells us to “fight the unbelievers” and “He will punish them by our hands, cover them with shame and help us (to victory) over them” (9:14).

The Qur’an takes away the freedom of belief from all humanity and relegates those who disbelieve in Islam to hell (5:10), calls them najis (filthy, untouchable, impure) (9:28), and orders its followers to fight the unbelievers until no other religion except Islam is left (2:193).”

Extremist Muslims (or like 1/2 the worlds Muslims) believe and sharia and it’s tenets.

Please explain how any of what I posted has been debunked?

Literally havent given the whole context again of these verses and gave the worst possible translation.

1/2 of Muslims extremists? I guess every apostate, every homosexual, every non muslim should be under danger if thats true. I you ask many muslims if they believe in Sharia Law they will say yes, because they are devout Muslims and that kind of a question of how faithful they are, and dont necessarily mean every single thing that encompasses under sharia ie things that relate to 6th century Arabia. But of they are being asked to be trapped.

Breaking bread with people of different faiths was one of my more informal, but very thorough effective ways to experience and gain empathy when I was in divinity school. It allows a commonality and shared experience over and above what we merely read or something that was passed by word of mouth. Also, it is an overt exercise to exhibit both real humility and active listening and understanding without preconceived notions and assumptions.

I have been in mosque all over the world, as well as synagogues, sat down in worship with Sikhs, Hindus, Taoist, Buddhist, hours in robust debates with atheists, native people in hogans, shared kava with Samoans in Samoa...etc

I have multiple friends and colleagues that would claim to be Muslims. None of which would endorse sharia law, quite the opposite actually. American Muslims on the whole are much different than Middle East Muslims.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty sure you mocked me for the fact that I brought up that I have an adopted brother who was black.

That is a different thing, the other person (black) chastised you for you saying you had black friends ...so, you indeed confuse us.....even though it’s just the two of us,

I have multiple friends and colleagues that would claim to be Muslims. None of which would endorse sharia law, quite the opposite actually. American Muslims on the whole are much different than Middle East Muslims.

You are a a Christian I assume, have these people been in your home?

That is a different thing, the other person (black) chastised you for you saying you had black friends ...so, you indeed confuse us.....even though it’s just the two of us,

Ok. I apologize for not remembering who posted everything 2000 posts ago. My mistake. And yes, I’ve had Muslims in my home.

Ok. I apologize for not remembering who posted everything 2000 posts ago. My mistake. And yes, I’ve had Muslims in my home.

Yeah, the two whole black folks here can be entirely confusing and mind boggling to separate and distinguish.

Yeah, the two whole black folks here can be entirely confusing and mind boggling to separate and distinguish.

Well I knew I had a 50% shot at being correct and I didn’t feel like digging back through 1000s of posts

Also, not to brag, but I did get the 5000th post
giphy.gif

Well I knew I had a 50% shot at being correct and I didn’t feel like digging back through 1000s of posts

giphy.gif

Secret to life is celebrating small victories...

@Matty44
There was a Muslim putting his life on the line in America before there was any ancestor of the Orange man here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

giphy.gif

That said, signing off and hanging with the fam, blessings on blessing to you and your family....

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Not because we all are Americans, but because I am an equal opportunity hater. :p

Reactions: 1 user

People who didn't even know 9-11 happened being punished for 9-11. Cruel world

There’s no need in trying to have a discussion with him. He’s now gone on a horribly offensive and false rant about Muslim people. Because yes I’m sure perfect Christianity that he follows is all about spreading falsehoods about another religion, eye roll. Gotta love when someone who happens to be Muslim commits a crime let’s persecute the whole religion, but when a Christian commits a crime they’re just misunderstood or some other nonsense.

On a regular basis when I walk in to work Christian men and a few women are yelling at me, telling me I should die and many of my coworkers are on a hit list. Yet Muslims are the problem, mmhmm. Christianity oh so perfect.

I recommend you block him so you don’t have to read his offensive non-sense.

Reactions: 2 users
There’s no need in trying to have a discussion with him. He’s now gone on a horribly offensive and false rant about Muslim people. Because yes I’m sure perfect Christianity that he follows is all about spreading falsehoods about another religion, eye roll. Gotta love when someone who happens to be Muslim commits a crime let’s persecute the whole religion, but when a Christian commits a crime they’re just misunderstood or some other nonsense.

On a regular basis when I walk in to work Christian men and a few women are yelling at me, telling me I should die and many of my coworkers are on a hit list. Yet Muslims are the problem, mmhmm. Christianity oh so perfect.

I recommend you block him so you don’t have to read his offensive non-sense.

I was gonna break til after the holiday but I gotta respond to this. Cause it’s the same garbage thinking that so infuriates me about the left, and it’s very much like the Andy Ngo case where he gets suspended cause he posts statistics. I merely posted scripture from the Quran and WELL ACCEPTED FACTS about sharia law and Muslims who adhere to it. I made a clear distinction between American Muslims and the group im talking about (although a small minority in America DO support sharia). And your response is to have me blocked? Grow up.

Prove me one thing that I said is false about SHARIA LAW, not “oh, my Muslim friend in America isn’t a terrorist!” or some other nonsense retort. Show me that sharia law respects women. Show me sharia law respects homosexuals. Show me that sharia law and the Quran don’t promote hostility to non-Muslims.

Do any of the above and I’ll ban myself.

Stop being such a snowflake. I’m sorry my facts upset you, but they are just that, facts. Very provable tenets of sharia law and the Quran.

As a side note, if people are harassing you during what I’m assuming is anti-abortion protests, I’m sorry. No one should be harassed where they work, or harassed period. People have the right to protest whatever they want, but not harass or threaten individuals. I am truly sorry that’s happened to you.

And with that, I’m done til after Black Friday.

Peace.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna break til after the holiday but I gotta respond to this. Cause it’s the same garbage thinking that so infuriates me about the left, and it’s very much like the Andy Ngo case where he gets suspended cause he posts statistics. I merely posted scripture from the Quran and WELL ACCEPTED FACTS about sharia law and Muslims who adhere to it. I made a clear distinction between American Muslims and the group im talking about (although a small minority in America DO support sharia). And your response is to have me blocked? Grow up.

Prove me one thing that I said is false about SHARIA LAW, not “oh, my Muslim friend in America isn’t a terrorist!” or some other nonsense retort. Show me that sharia law respects women. Show me sharia law respects homosexuals. Show me that sharia law and the Quran don’t promote hostility to non-Muslims.

Stop being such a snowflake. I’m sorry my facts upset you, but they are just that, facts. Very provable tenets of sharia law and the Quran.

As a side note, if people are harassing you during what I’m assuming is anti-abortion protests, I’m sorry. No one should be harassed where they work, or harassed period. People have the right to protest whatever they want, but not harass or threaten individuals. I am truly sorry that’s happened to you.

Peace.

Monotheistic religions ie the main religions in the West dont respect homosexuals or prescribe equal right to women really in particular either.

Also there are many verses that promote peace and harmony between people of different faiths, and the violent ones refer to specific times in war when you were allowed to kill people of other groups ( which were divided based on religion and lineage ). Most of these cases were actually Muslims against the very groups who persecuted and tortured them when Islam was just starting. Surprise, surprise, a religious group was engaging in war against those who oppressed them previously *SHOCKING

Peace.

Dear Sweet Lord,

I do give thanks on this day, that through some combination of nature and nurture, I am blessed enough not to be quite so stupid and bigoted that I think making some long-winded, nonsense post about *Sharia Law* (DUN DUN DUNNNN) to a bunch of other mostly American medical professionals is a great idea.

Amen.

• Haha
Dear Sweet Lord,

I do give thanks on this day, that through some combination of nature and nurture, I am blessed enough not to be quite so stupid and bigoted that I think making some long-winded, nonsense post about *Sharia Law* (DUN DUN DUNNNN) to a bunch of other mostly American medical professionals is a great idea.

Amen.
Are you up right now because you're at the hospital and have some down time, not in New York's time zone, or just too excited and can't sleep before thanksgiving?

No offense, but most Muslim societies are at the religious (and human rights) level of Dark Middle Ages Europe. They are not religious; they are fundamentalist.

Indeed.

We Americans are a pretty tolerant lot. Even the GOP, when considered on a global scale. The kind of racism and intolerance that is simply normal and endemic for more homogenous societies around the world is hard to appreciate for people who've never traveled anywhere except the USA and western Europe. They absolutely do not share western values of tolerance.

The warm and fuzzy, good neighbor, Americanized Muslim community is nothing at all like the 3rd world Muslim communities that make up 1/4 of the world's population. Sharia law, whether imposed by local elders or at the end of explicitly-Islamist government guns, is completely incompatible with western ideals concerning basic human rights, the treatment of women, etc. Full stop.

It is blindly counterproductive and harmful to pretend that they are like us, and that we are not competing with them in a deadly ideological struggle with real consequences for the future of human civilization.

islam_women-800x480.jpg

There's a reason this troll was so successful in baiting the left. In five words, it cuts quickly to the cognitive dissonance that is needed to reconcile unconditional "woke" acceptance of all belief systems and all cultures and all peoples, with the objective reality that the Islam faith practiced by ~1/4 of the world subjugates, abuses, and marginalizes women.

How many muslims and blacks do you know as actual friends-e.g. have been over to your house for a meal?

This underscores the flaw in the "woke" American perspective. Americanized Muslims who might come over to your house for a meal are not the least bit representative of the rest of the world. Even recently immigrated Muslims from those countries aren't, because they generally left because of persecution at the hands of more fundamentalist Muslims. Most of the ex-USA and ex-European* Muslim world is cold, and cruel, and dark. The notion that governments should have separation of church and state is actually abhorrent to them.

Maybe it's because I'm an atheist and can see the forest without having my own particular tree getting in the way. I've got my criticisms of the religious (Christian) right in the US, but Christians aren't persecuting anyone, cake-bakery hysteria notwithstanding. No real criticisms of religious Jews - actually, I'm about as pro-Israel as a person can be. Buddhists? Fine. Hindus? Fine. I just can't close my eyes and make myself pretend that everything is A-OK with Islam when virtually every majority-Islam place in the world is backwards and dangerous, and the core of the Koran and Sharia law are simply incompatible with western secular democracy and peaceful coexistence with others. There are certainly many reasons why these places are terrible. But it's dishonest to pretend that Islam itself has nothing to do with it.

* Europe is tilting rapidly away from its historically more integrated/tolerant Muslim population these days, mainly because of a rapid influx of refugees.

It also means there are people who wouldn't approve of him if he was objectively the best President of the past 30 years.

I suspect it's more people who don't like him but both like the alternatives even less and really want RBGs seat

Scalia's open seat probably tipped the 2016 election. If RBG courageously and doggedly somehow manages to hang on another year, the promise of that seat being filled by the next president will have a similar if not greater effect in getting out the conservative vote.

On the flip side, if she stepped down tomorrow and President Trump replaced her now, it would probably harm his re-election campaign. The religious right would be less likely to get out the vote in November with no imminent seat to fill. And if the new nominee was confirmed close enough to the election, the resulting outrage from the left would probably improve their turnout.

There's a little bit of irony in that RBG's ongoing personal sacrifice to hold on until 2021 is to avoid giving up her seat to a Trump nominee, but it might actually help him get re-elected.

Monotheistic religions ie the main religions in the West dont respect homosexuals or prescribe equal right to women really in particular either.
Yeah, they stone them and don't let them live independent lives. :rolleyes:

In many places, Islam seems to be currently at the tolerance level Catholicism was 600-700 years ago. Which kind of makes sense, given that the former religion is about 600 years younger than the latter. It doesn't when one considers the progress humanity has made since.

Disrespecting women in 2019, for example, is like counting using one's fingers instead of computers. It's PRIMITIVE, whether it comes from Muslims, Christians, Jews etc. Same goes for hate based on other people's NON-VIOLENT religious beliefs. Most wars in this world have been religious. Any religious organization that incites to violence and hate should be outlawed.

This underscores the flaw in the "woke" American perspective. Americanized Muslims who might come over to your house for a meal are not the least bit representative of the rest of the world. Even recently immigrated Muslims from those countries aren't, because they generally left because of persecution at the hands of more fundamentalist Muslims. Most of the ex-USA and ex-European* Muslim world is cold, and cruel, and dark. The notion that governments should have separation of church and state is actually abhorrent to them.

Who here is actually disagreeing with your point that there are entire swaths of nutjob fundamentalist Muslims throughout the world? The main disagreement of the so-called woke is that the right is very plainly and obviously using this fact to paint all Muslims with this brush. You don't get hordes of idiots cheering on the orange one's mocking of Khizer Khan's family otherwise.

Even you, who has likely a much more nuanced view than most, feels ok making a blanket statement about Muslims ex-US and Western Europe. I have grandparents and other family that moved to places like Malaysia from India 60 years ago. I would guess that it's a surprise to most people that there are countries such as Malaysia that adopted Islam peacefully but still maintain high degrees of secularism and multiculturalism. Don't get me wrong- I'm an atheist and I find the concept of Sharia or any ethno state or religious state anathema to my beliefs, but as I told Matty earlier in the thread, I will not jump on the hysteria bandwagon about these things because I saw firsthand as a fellow how peaceful, friendly residents from the "scary" countries could not get back into the country from vacation when the Muslim ban was first laid down. I also suspect that there are oh-so-many people oppressed by the nutjobs who would leave if only they could do so, so I would rather make the West an example of tolerance so they can join our side instead of us pushing them away. I mean, there is a reason that Swedish is the number one language on DuoLingo in Sweden....many people want to assimilate if only we'd give them the chance.

Even you, who has likely a much more nuanced view than most, feels ok making a blanket statement about Muslims ex-US and Western Europe. I have grandparents and other family that moved to places like Malaysia from India 60 years ago. I would guess that it's a surprise to most people that there are countries such as Malaysia that adopted Islam peacefully but still maintain high degrees of secularism and multiculturalism. Don't get me wrong- I'm an atheist and I find the concept of Sharia or any ethno state or religious state anathema to my beliefs, but as I told Matty earlier in the thread, I will not jump on the hysteria bandwagon about these things because I saw firsthand as a fellow how peaceful, friendly residents from the "scary" countries could not get back into the country from vacation when the Muslim ban was first laid down. I also suspect that there are oh-so-many people oppressed by the nutjobs who would leave if only they could do so, so I would rather make the West an example of tolerance so they can join our side instead of us pushing them away. I mean, there is a reason that Swedish is the number one language on DuoLingo in Sweden....many people want to assimilate if only we'd give them the chance.
Or maybe other Europeans want to move there, the same way people move to Malaysia. ;)

And let's clear something up: (Western) Europe is NOT traditionally multicultural, multi-religious etc. Until recently, it's been a white Christian place (with some Jews, some blacks, rare Muslims etc.) for a thousand years, where people were warring over various differences up until WW2. So, if somebody doesn't like it, s/he can go back to where s/he came from (except, obviously, people living there for many generations), instead of trying to change it. Immigrants are tolerated guests; nobody invited them, it's not America.

Careful, if you spend too much time with people with different faiths, you may learn you both have equal evidence for your beliefs
(aka none ;) )

Nope, it's the refugees (or at least that's what the DuoLingo trivia about their app says)
I know that you feel all warm and fuzzy about immigrants from different cultures, but, in Europe, they didn't have major problems with extremism until the non-Europeans arrived. It's not America. While many of them are nice people, they don't get all excited when people who look and behave differently, speak a different language, have different customs and religions, some incompatible with the local ones (increasing criminality), move in. They had pretty homogeneous societies which tended to work well for them.

Don't confuse tolerating (i.e. putting up with) with welcoming immigrants. We (mostly) welcome them; Europeans tolerate them, mostly for economic reasons (as we do with the Mexican agricultural workers).

So no, there shouldn't be a significant Muslim immigration to Europe (more than 5% of the population). They don't belong there, and will only cause more wars/ethnic cleansing. See Bosnia, where they were native (and it still didn't matter).

I know that you feel all warm and fuzzy about immigrants from different cultures, but, in Europe, they didn't have major problems with extremism until the non-Europeans arrived. It's not America. While many of them are nice people, they don't get all excited when people who look and behave differently, speak a different language, have different customs and religions, some incompatible with the local ones (increasing criminality), move in. They had pretty homogeneous societies which tended to work well for them.

Don't confuse tolerating (i.e. putting up with) with welcoming immigrants. We (mostly) welcome them; Europeans tolerate them, mostly for economic reasons (as we do with the Mexican agricultural workers).

So no, there shouldn't be a significant Muslim immigration to Europe. They don't belong there, and will only cause another Holocaust.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the Muslim diaspora issue. I will essentially always place blame about intolerance on those who choose to be intolerant. In the end, isolationism and demonizing the "other" is what leads to more wars, but if there is another "holocaust" or more wars, it's ludicrous to blame anyone but those pulling the triggers.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the Muslim diaspora issue. I will essentially always place blame about intolerance on those who choose to be intolerant. In the end, isolationism and demonizing the "other" is what leads to more wars, but if there is another "holocaust" or more wars, it's ludicrous to blame anyone but those pulling the triggers.
Dude, you can't just expect a population to sit and applaud while a completely different population settles in. Or do you just let strangers move into your house uninvited, and celebrate them, as if they were family, especially when their numbers are increasing, they beat up your kids and leave trash everywhere? Humans are tribal, like many other animals.

And that was in 2017...

Dude, you can't just expect a population to sit and applaud while a completely different population settles in. Or do you just let strangers move into your house uninvited, and celebrate them, as if they were family, even when their numbers are increasing and they are leaving trash everywhere?

The household analogy for immigration doesn't work, just like the household analogy (sit down at the dinner table and balance the $4T budget) doesn't work for national or global economics.

The population doesn't have to sit and applaud. What they could do is try to help them assimilate and integrate so each culture is contributing its strongest aspects. For instance, this is what Malaysia did with its Chinese and Indian diaspora, and obviously what America did with the various peoples who have moved here.

And that was in 2017...

Your point from that article? Other than unsurprisingly the people led by fascist Hungarian Trump (or is Trump fascist American Orban?) are the most intolerant?

The household analogy for immigration doesn't work, just like the household analogy (sit down at the dinner table and balance the $4T budget) doesn't work for national or global economics.

The population doesn't have to sit and applaud. What they could do is try to help them assimilate and integrate so each culture is contributing its strongest aspects. For instance, this is what Malaysia did with its Chinese and Indian diaspora, and obviously what America did with the various peoples who have moved here.
Malaysia can do whatever floats their boat. Especially once they become a European country. ;)

g9hyi3c.png

This probably also terrifies Mikkel cause he's a bonafide Stephen Miller White Nationalist.

Other than unsurprisingly the people led by fascist Hungarian Trump (or is Trump fascist American Orban?) are the most intolerant?

So you're saying that an ethnic population that votes in someone you don't like is intolerant?

It sounds like you're the one with the intolerance problem.

So you're saying that an ethnic population that votes in someone you don't like is intolerant?

It sounds like you're the one with the intolerance problem.

No, I'm stating that the fact that Hungary is the most intolerant of Muslims in that survey and the fact that Hungary has the most far-right fascistic leader is not coincidence.

No, I'm stating that the fact that Hungary is the most intolerant of Muslims in that survey and the fact that Hungary has the most far-right fascistic leader is not coincidence.

So you're saying that you're intolerant of other ethnic groups, got it. Thanks for validating that.

So you're saying that you're intolerant of other ethnic groups, got it. Thanks for validating that.

Mikkel, does the following describe your beliefs?

"White nationalism is a type of nationalism or pan-nationalism which espouses the belief that white people are a race[1] and seeks to develop and maintain a white racial and national identity.[2][3][4] Its proponents identify with and are attached to the concept of a white nation.[5] White nationalists say they seek to ensure the survival of the white race, and the cultures of historically white states. They hold that white people should maintain their majority in majority-white countries, maintain their political and economic dominance, and that their cultures should be foremost.[4] Many white nationalists believe that miscegenation, multiculturalism, immigration of nonwhites and low birth rates among whites are threatening the white race,[6] and some believe these things are being promoted as part of an attempted white genocide.[6] "

Status
Not open for further replies.