William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ok the MD recoms should sub for a DO letter. I would also like to point out ( some may disagree) that it is a myth that DOs have a more rounded medical education than MDs. Education is the same. The main difference is DO have to learn OPP and may depending on the specialty of choice also have to take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX to get into some non AOA residencies. Both paths make awesome doctors and both have ups and downs. Neither is better than the other. Carey does have stronger student to student bonds than many other schools I interviewed at. Part of the reason I selected Carey over other schools like ACOM and LECOM.
Sorry if I misspoke. I prefer the osteopathic approach and being taught from the holistic perspective
A medical education the allopathic way is still a great one but I am choosing the DO route.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received the message from AACOMAS regarding the start of the upcoming cycle as I'm sure most everyone did. Please William Carey accept me off the waitlist so I don't have to reapply....... pretty please.......😉
 
For leasing/moving purposes, does any one know the approximate dates for orientation and the first week of classes?
 
I've noticed on other schools forums that when the class fills up they offer acceptance seats for the following years class. So to start in 2016 as class of 2020. Anyone know if William Carey does this at all?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've noticed on other schools forums that when the class fills up they offer acceptance seats for the following years class. So to start in 2016 as class of 2020. Anyone know if William Carey does this at all?

Not that I know of, we do pull from the waitlist until the 1st week of class.

Does anybody know if WCUCOM offers medical Spanish? Could be useful...

They are working on that right now-don't have any info on it yet.
 
Any idea how full the class is at this point?

I don't know any specific numbers, but I have been scheduled for an April 20th interview so they aren't full yet. I do know that Dr. Weir told a fellow student who had not yet received a secondary/interview invitation NOT to expect one this cycle, as they currently do not have any interview spots left. So...we'll see. Last year I didn't officially get taken off of the wait list and sent a rejection until early June, so it may be a bit of a wait for you. Try not to get too stressed about it. Good luck!
 
Thanks! You too. I interviewed at the end of January and was placed on deferred status which I assume is the same as the wait list. This waiting is slowly killing me but hanging in there. Making plans to reapply all the same. Trying to stay realistic.
 
Thanks! You too. I interviewed at the end of January and was placed on deferred status which I assume is the same as the wait list. This waiting is slowly killing me but hanging in there. Making plans to reapply all the same. Trying to stay realistic.
Hang in there.

Did you consider sending them an updated letter of interest + updated ECs (if applicable)?

I believe we'll all see a big game of musical chairs, as people will forgo deposits to go to a "better fit for them" COM. You'll see a good amount of waitlist movement.

Good luck 😀
 
I sent in a letter of intent and plan on sending an update letter about a recent work project. Makes me feel proactive and am sure it doesn't hurt.
 
I have sent in an intent letter and now an update letter as I'm on the wait list. Now the only thing left to do is wait. *sigh* Does anyone know when the wait list will start to move at WCU?
 
Hi everyone,

If anyone is looking for housing, my friend has a house available for rent! It's an affordable 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, single family home located in a quiet neighborhood. The house is in a convenient location to WCU, USM, off of Hardy and 34th street. Please PM me if you are interested and I can put you in touch with him!
 
Last edited:
Anyone else who interviewed Friday, keep us updated please if you hear anything from WCUCOM! They said admissions would meet tomorrow so I'm wondering if phone calls will start rolling in tomorrow afternoon....
 
Can anyone suggest some books for the following courses at William Carey. I might get some used books. Thanks.
Medical Genetics
Clinical Anatomy
General Pathology
Medical Physiology
Histology
Medical Biochemistry
Systemic Pathology
Neural and Behavioral Science
Medical Microbiology
Pharmacology
Clinical Science
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed last Friday, loved the school, and was accepted Monday. I have also been accepted to ACOM. Both seem like great schools and have awesome faculty and curriculum, but I feel like I fit in better at ACOM, and will be forfeiting my deposit to William Carey. Hopefully that moves someone off the wait list! Good luck everyone!
 
I had to reschedule from February 27, to Tomorrow, however I'm not sure if the time is the same (10:30am) or if it's different. Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad