You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
William Carey (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What are some of the nicer suburb areas to live?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4
411309
im curious about these questions too. im mailing mine off monday.
Yes.
wow this gives me some hope! 👍
did anyone NOT get a secondary? ...
What are some of the nicer suburb areas to live?
Oak Grove, West Hattiesburg, and Petal are all good areas. Hattiesburg is a pretty nice little city.
Got a receipt for the $50.00 today in the mail. Now perhaps I'll call to confirm I'm complete and start the waiting game. By the way, that was extremely fast. I mailed it to them on 7/3 and received the receipt via mail today 7/9. And I'm OOS, but in a neighboring state.
Got a receipt for the $50.00 today in the mail. Now perhaps I'll call to confirm I'm complete and start the waiting game. By the way, that was extremely fast. I mailed it to them on 7/3 and received the receipt via mail today 7/9. And I'm OOS, but in a neighboring state.
they're fast indeed, i'm far far away lol (NY) and still got the receipt within 6 days of mailing out my app (crossing over july 4th weekend)
👍👍👍
They're moving a little quicker than they did last year. This first batch of secondary weren't sent out until late July. My interview invite came about month after I was complete.
If they did like last year, then they will start interviewing in early September.
4
411309
Love this school so much, lol.. Waiting for that phone call!
Love this school so much, lol.. Waiting for that phone call!
any specifics why you love this school?
I don't know too much about it...but so far, the office has been very nice, and very organized. Good communication and I like the info on their website...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4
411309
Quite a few reasons, if you're curious you can PM me about it. I dont like sdn knowning my bussine sometimes ;p
Quite a few reasons, if you're curious you can PM me about it. I dont like sdn knowning my bussine sometimes ;p
you got it CS...sending one now 👍
Got to check out the campus yesterday and one of the three buildings. Nice campus and the building I got to go into was very nice. I also checked out Petal and West Hattiesburg (Oak Grove) and must say Oak Grove felt a lot more like home. Being able to visit and see the campus and area has definitely moved WCUCOM into my top 2.
Got to check out the campus yesterday and one of the three buildings. Nice campus and the building I got to go into was very nice. I also checked out Petal and West Hattiesburg (Oak Grove) and must say Oak Grove felt a lot more like home. Being able to visit and see the campus and area has definitely moved WCUCOM into my top 2.
I agree! I've been in Hattiesburg for a short while now and it has started to grow on me 🙂
4
411309
Shhh tell them the school sucks guys ; ). We dont need more competition
Did anyone else find the questions about "activities you've done during and since undergrad" and the following question asking you to "list volunteer and employment activities" a bit redundant? Or am I missing something? How did you guys balance those two questions?
4
411309
Did anyone else find the questions about "activities you've done during and since undergrad" and the following question asking you to "list volunteer and employment activities" a bit redundant? Or am I missing something? How did you guys balance those two questions?
i wasnt sure how to fill that out exactly. i just seperated my activites by ones during college and ones after college sort of. I thought it was confusing because I wasnt exactly what the difference was for the two questions
Does WCUCOM and other schools allow one year deferment if accepted?
A word of advice to you and others about secondaries. I start at WCU in a few weeks, but nearly missed my shot because our illustrious postal system lost my secondary (mailed from only 75 miles away!) I didn't contact them for about 2 months because I didn't want to seem pushy. I shouldn't have worried. They were great when I called and I sent them another right away. If this school is high on your list, then don't be afraid to contact them. WCU is worth it 🙂
Does WCUCOM and other schools allow one year deferment if accepted?
They did for someone accepted in my class. This person will start med school Aug1.
But I would guess these deferments are done on a case by case basis.
They did for someone accepted in my class. This person will start med school Aug1.
But I would guess these deferments are done on a case by case basis.
I was the one deferred for one year. It was due to military service - I was told when I requested it that it had been done in the year prior as well. So, there is some precedent here if you have a legitimate need.
Best of luck.
Last edited:
I've been thinking about applying here. Quick question though.. does anyone know if WCUCOM accepts professor letters in lieu of a physician letter? I have a letter ready from my school's pre-health committee, a couple more letters from other professors and a volunteer coordinator, and I've done plenty of shadowing but I don't have a letter from any of the physicians I worked with. Would they automatically screen me out without one?
I've been thinking about applying here. Quick question though.. does anyone know if WCUCOM accepts professor letters in lieu of a physician letter? I have a letter ready from my school's pre-health committee, a couple more letters from other professors and a volunteer coordinator, and I've done plenty of shadowing but I don't have a letter from any of the physicians I worked with. Would they automatically screen me out without one?
Try asking the doctors that you shadowed. they have been in your position before and should understand the situation. i wasnt able to put much time into shadowing for various reasons, but i was still able to get a LOR from him.
i think they require the DOC letter btw.
Hey guys! Applying here as one of my main two schools, UMC and WCU. Mississippi College student.Getting MCAT score back in August 14, nervous.
edit
Here's a quote from Emily when I asked her about the academic averages from last year..
Last year, we received about 1700 applications. The average GPA of those accepted last year was around a 3.4 for both science and cumulative. The average MCAT was between 24 & 25.
Thanks,
Emily
edit
Here's a quote from Emily when I asked her about the academic averages from last year..
Last year, we received about 1700 applications. The average GPA of those accepted last year was around a 3.4 for both science and cumulative. The average MCAT was between 24 & 25.
Thanks,
Emily
What are my chances realistically if I have:
cGPA: 3.16
SGPA: 3.27
MCAT: 27P
Many extracurricular leadership roles and honor groups.
Shadowing both MD and DO for about 40 hours.
Would I considered competative here or at any DO school or should I go to a graduate school and have a great GPA there? I am a Chemistry major by the way.
cGPA: 3.16
SGPA: 3.27
MCAT: 27P
Many extracurricular leadership roles and honor groups.
Shadowing both MD and DO for about 40 hours.
Would I considered competative here or at any DO school or should I go to a graduate school and have a great GPA there? I am a Chemistry major by the way.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try asking the doctors that you shadowed. they have been in your position before and should understand the situation. i wasnt able to put much time into shadowing for various reasons, but i was still able to get a LOR from him.
i think they require the DOC letter btw.
I had the same problem with shadowing.. I shadowed several physicians but didn't have a very large of amount of hours with each of them so I wasn't sure if I should ask for one but I'll give it a try! Thanks!
I had the same problem with shadowing.. I shadowed several physicians but didn't have a very large of amount of hours with each of them so I wasn't sure if I should ask for one but I'll give it a try! Thanks!
no worries! and remember - even if they say no its not really hurting you much. you can always shadow another doc and get a letter from em. u still have some time.
Just got my secondary invite! Just wondering if they are now sending secondaries to everyone since I am OOS (Nebraska). I am doing a grad program in Texas though so I wonder if that is why I got a secondary? Either way, I am excited to fill it out and hope to interview I love it in the South!
Just got my secondary invite! Just wondering if they are now sending secondaries to everyone since I am OOS (Nebraska). I am doing a grad program in Texas though so I wonder if that is why I got a secondary? Either way, I am excited to fill it out and hope to interview I love it in the South!
i don't think so, i'm out of state and i got mine back like 3 weeks ago and i am/have been complete.
goodluck
I am very interested in William Carey... and by very I mean its pretty much the only school I am considering. My question is, do you think it would be crazy of me to commute from Mobile, AL to WCU everyday? Its only 1.5 hours but that ends up being 3 hours total. I am only considering commuting because we recently bought a house in Mobile and my wife has a great job here. If I were to commute I would hope the lectures are recorded so I can at least listen to them again as I drive. I am just curious if you all think I am crazy for wanting to commute.
Also, do you think I have a competitive chance with a GPA 3.6 and a MCAT of 30? I only recently (last year) decided I wanted to go into medicine instead of Emergency Management so I just don't know if I need to boost my GPA.
Any help would be appreciated.
I know that this is old but, as a current commuter I thought I'd chime in. I commute 1 hour each way. To make the most of my time (I have kids so my study time is already limited) I record all lectures and the most important sections of my books. While in the car I press play and listen to everything multiple times. Actually, my grades have improved since starting this 🙂
4
411309
the wait is no fun 🙁 this is one of my top choice programs.. would love to hear back!
mine too, someone should call and see when interviews invites are getting tossed out 😛
I am very interested in WCUCOM. I plan on applying this cycle. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?
Be sure to talk about your experience as a scribe (particularly with DOs). I also worked as a scribe and project leader and a bulk of my interview/essay's were about scribing.
4
411309
I think im going to call monday make sure im complete and stuff see if i can get any info on when theyre giving interview invites, since im pretty into this school.
I'm applying here also. Still haven't submitted primary yet. Plan to submit in a few weeks and then start asking my letter writers to send my letters.
4
411309
I'm applying here also. Still haven't submitted primary yet. Plan to submit in a few weeks and then start asking my letter writers to send my letters.
for the record you arent an average applicant (read your md apps). With urm status and a solid cum gpa you are very competitve for MD schools assuming your mcat is ok.
Does this school have a dress code? What is it exactly?
There is a dress code, but it's pretty straightforward.. Nice pants, closed-toe shoes, and the scrub top and white coat that have your name and school insignia on it.. you can get all of that good stuff this next spring.
As for everyone applying, good luck!! I know the waiting game is absolutely excrutiating sometimes, but you're all off to a fantastic start by getting everything in this early. Make sure you have D.O. experience/shadowing hours, and make sure you know why specifically you want the D.O. degree vs. the allopathic degree. And of course, be yourself 🙂
As for everyone applying, good luck!! I know the waiting game is absolutely excrutiating sometimes, but you're all off to a fantastic start by getting everything in this early. Make sure you have D.O. experience/shadowing hours, and make sure you know why specifically you want the D.O. degree vs. the allopathic degree. And of course, be yourself 🙂
There is a dress code, but it's pretty straightforward.. Nice pants, closed-toe shoes, and the scrub top and white coat that have your name and school insignia on it.. you can get all of that good stuff this next spring.
As for everyone applying, good luck!! I know the waiting game is absolutely excrutiating sometimes, but you're all off to a fantastic start by getting everything in this early. Make sure you have D.O. experience/shadowing hours, and make sure you know why specifically you want the D.O. degree vs. the allopathic degree. And of course, be yourself 🙂
So dress pants with scrub top? Seems kinda weird🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all those who have submitted secondaries:
Orientation started this week with classes starting next week. My GUESS is interview invites will start going out after the first week of classes. WCU started interviewing last year in mid September if my memory serves me correct
Orientation started this week with classes starting next week. My GUESS is interview invites will start going out after the first week of classes. WCU started interviewing last year in mid September if my memory serves me correct
To all those who have submitted secondaries:
Orientation started this week with classes starting next week. My GUESS is interview invites will start going out after the first week of classes. WCU started interviewing last year in mid September if my memory serves me correct
thanks for the heads up! hope i get to meet u guys this fall during interviews! 😀
4
411309
still waiting to be complete : (
thanks for the heads up! hope i get to meet u guys this fall during interviews! 😀
The med students make it a point to meet with those who are interviewing. We are there to answer ANY & ALL questions,
There are other things that are in the works that have to be finalized, which seeks to make the interviewing process at WCU a great experience.
So I have some legitimate concerns about this school before I carry on financially in this pursuit.
Namely Dr. Weir.
He came to my institution a year and a half ago to promote WCU. It was a great presentation, really, and I was quite impressed up until the last few minutes. A statement made by Dr. Weir was "And another thing to consider about attending William Carey is that patients won't even know you aren't an M.D.!" He seemingly passed this off as a good thing. I have to strategically write about my inspirations and what drives me towards Osteopathic Medicine, and one of the Faculty is telling us that we will be mistaken for the wrong degree? If this is a selling point of your school, I'll pass. I want to be proud of my medical degree. It simply rubbed me the wrong way, but perhaps I took it the wrong way. I'm doing my best not to take that quote out of context, either. That was literally a point of summation of the history of the DO degree.
The other thing that leaves me scratching my head is that he introduced himself as having an M.D. According to WCU's website, Dr. Weir has both a DDS and a JD. Did they simply forget about his MD? He said he earned his MD at Emory, but the website states he actually did a Dental Residency there. Nothing is mentioned of him being a physician.
So as sketchy as this seems, I've spoken with him over the phone a couple times and he seems to be the sweetest, most helpful man in the world. I really felt great after getting off the phone with him. I didn't have the balls to bring up this confusing information to him over the phone, as he had my name and personal information and I was afraid of offending him. I can see how asking this information could be seen as attacking him, and that's the last thing I'm interested in. I don't want to make anyone look shady, I just want to clear up some confusion.
For the record, I could care less if the guy has his MD, DO, BBS, DDS, or XYZ. However, if you're an XYZ, please don't introduce yourself as an MD.
Anybody want to chime in on this? I've pm'ed some WCU-COM students with no return. I'm not really sure what to think of all this.
Dr Weir IS one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet. In all my dealings with him, both as an applicant and a student, he has been a man of integrity. I really do NOT know how to answer this except to say to ask him about it. There is obviously some confusion & if I know Dr. Weir, then he would be the first one to want to clear it up.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 297
- Views
- 49K
- Replies
- 482
- Views
- 95K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 139K
- Replies
- 2K
- Views
- 246K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K