With these stats, which DO schools should I be looking into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spb103

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're gonna want to cast a wide net and apply to as many DOs schools as possible, including the newer schools. Rowan SOM is competitive but since you are from NJ, it's worth applying.

I am actually in a similar boat because my sgpa without retakes comes out to a 2.95. I called BCOM and they flat out refused to look at my application even though my mcat is a 506 and I have done an SMP. So maybe BCOM might not be worth your while but you should call them and ask if they would consider your application.

I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

Don't do an SMP or formal post-bacc. Just apply and see what happens (as long as both GPAs are above 3.0 you're okay). You may surprise yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user