With these stats, which DO schools should I be looking into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spb103

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're gonna want to cast a wide net and apply to as many DOs schools as possible, including the newer schools. Rowan SOM is competitive but since you are from NJ, it's worth applying.
 
I am actually in a similar boat because my sgpa without retakes comes out to a 2.95. I called BCOM and they flat out refused to look at my application even though my mcat is a 506 and I have done an SMP. So maybe BCOM might not be worth your while but you should call them and ask if they would consider your application.
 
I am 24 years old, history major, biology minor. NJ resident.
cGPA: 3.098
sGPA: 2.88
** re-took all science courses after undergrad that I got a C/D/or F, and made sure they were all above Bs. The 2.88 is without the retakes!
MCAT: 505

My ECs are pretty dense. Lots of shadowing hours of a DO, volunteering in health clinics in urban areas, soup kitchen, medical research, taking over health classes at underfunded high schools in philadelphia, volunteering with dementia patients, and I work part time at a childrens learning center. I am also a member of IMHO (International Medical Health Organization), been volunteering with them since 2011.
I have 6 letters of recommendation (2 are professors, 1 PI, 1 DO, 2 from volunteering).

**Also due to financial reasons, I can not do a SMP or post bacc. So these are my final grades.

Don't do an SMP or formal post-bacc. Just apply and see what happens (as long as both GPAs are above 3.0 you're okay). You may surprise yourself.
 
Last edited: