Withdraw or retake ochem 2 over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsallsmiles

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I just got a pretty devestating grade back - I’m not doing so well in ochem 2 this semester.

I got a 68 and 44 on the exams so far. It seems like no matter how hard I study, a lot of the questions on the exam are so foreign to me. That fact that I’m taking several other hard classes this semester may also play a role in what’s happening.

I really don’t know what to do, I’ve gotten mostly As in all my classes so far - but I’m having such a hard time in this one. I’m really considering withdrawing and taking it during the summer.

Will one withdraw be a big deal? If I get Cs on the last exam and final (ACS :( ) I could end up around the B- or C+ range.

Any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Does your professor curve? ACS exams are tough, we had one for our first semester final and we're going to have one second semester--which is cumulative for the whole year sequence of orgo (both FIRST and second semester!!) If you can maintain the B I don't think you should drop, especially if your teacher might curve the final exam/grade

I’m not really sure about how he will grade it - but my guess it the curve won’t be very significant if there is one.

This is also one of the reasons I’m thinking withdrawing might be a better option, that exam typically drops people a few letter grades :(

Withdraw unless you are 90% sure you will get a "B". A "C" will kill your GPA, while a W will not.

Play the numbers game correctly.

As someone who had to retake after almost failing ochem2, I wish I would have withdrawn. Sucks to have that first grade follow you even after you retake and do well.