Withdrawing Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripbabwe

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am a third year predental undergrad, so traditionally I should be applying to dental school this month. I have recently been thinking about taking a gap year though, for the purpose of making sure that dentistry is without a doubt the career I want for the rest of my life. I have been studying and working toward it for the past three years in undergrad, and I have honestly done quite well - good GPA, DAT, decent experience. I really believe dentistry would be a good career for me, but I feel like I might always be wondering in the back of my head whether it was THE right choice or whether I should have gone down a different career route. - especially since once I start dental school I am basically married to the debt/career for at least 5-10 years. Do you think I should just go ahead and apply now since I have a decent shot? Or ,do you think I should apply next year, and spend this time to look into other careers to rule them out?
Another option I have been thinking is that I will apply now, and then after some more dental experience this summer if I feel like I want a gap year I could cancel my application before interview invitations are sent out. Would this paint a major red flag on me for future years? If canceling it before interviews does not paint a red flag, what date should I look at as my cutoff to cancel it?

I look forward to some guidance/ideas from others in any direction! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think cancelling your application will cause any red flags as long as you do not submit it. However because of COVID-19 it will be very difficult to get much exposure to dentistry this summer. If you can find a dentist to shadow, that would be ideal.

If not, I would highly recommend taking that gap year to understand if dentistry is the right career for you. This is not something you want to rush. Like you said, the last thing you want to do is take on such a big debt, wasting time, and then finding out you're in the wrong profession. Best of luck!

xoxo

I don't think cancelling your application will cause any red flags as long as you do not submit it. However because of COVID-19 it will be very difficult to get much exposure to dentistry this summer. If you can find a dentist to shadow, that would be ideal.

If not, I would highly recommend taking that gap year to understand if dentistry is the right career for you. This is not something you want to rush. Like you said, the last thing you want to do is take on such a big debt, wasting time, and then finding out you're in the wrong profession. Best of luck!

xoxo
Thank you for your advice!
So youre saying I should wait to submit it until Im sure? Instead of submitted it and then cancelling it after its submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure people will disagree but I think there is a lot of value in taking a gap year. Thinking long term, if you get accepted straight into dental school you will most likely be working directly after dental school and its harder to take time off as a professional than as a student. A lot of students don't take the gap year and are successful and thats fine. On the other hand a lot of students experience burnout when they dont take a gap year. Im not saying you will.

You could apply and spend time in a clinic and see if you like it to confirm your thoughts. I personally think theres no shame in taking a gap year and spending some time traveling and making sure this is the career you want, in the meantime I highly recommend getting involved in some outreach/community clinics and seeing all sides of dentistry, you may find a passion for it.

If you do take a gap just stay involved by volunteering or shadowing in the dental field, it wont be frowned upon if your stats are good. Just fyi, I took a gap year and changed my entire career path and Im glad I did. Good luck.

Im sure people will disagree but I think there is a lot of value in taking a gap year. Thinking long term, if you get accepted straight into dental school you will most likely be working directly after dental school and its harder to take time off as a professional than as a student. A lot of students don't take the gap year and are successful and thats fine. On the other hand a lot of students experience burnout when they dont take a gap year. Im not saying you will.

You could apply and spend time in a clinic and see if you like it to confirm your thoughts. I personally think theres no shame in taking a gap year and spending some time traveling and making sure this is the career you want, in the meantime I highly recommend getting involved in some outreach/community clinics and seeing all sides of dentistry, you may find a passion for it.

If you do take a gap just stay involved by volunteering or shadowing in the dental field, it wont be frowned upon if your stats are good. Just fyi, I took a gap year and changed my entire career path and Im glad I did. Good luck.

I also agree a gap year is a great idea. What was your previous career choice since you mentioned your gap year led you to dentistry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk