Withdrawing post-interview/pre-acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're okay with reapplying in the next year or two and spending all that time and money, rather than matriculating to this school, then yes you should withdraw. You have your whole life ahead of you and there is no reason to rush into something like this and possibly spend the next 4 years of your life in a miserable place.

So my question is have anyone had experiences with withdrawing post-interview? The reason I am asking is if I have attended the only interview I have received so far this season, and realized during interview that I simply cannot see myself spending 4 years at this place. I felt like it is not a good fit for me at all and I am quite sure I will be miserable there. Should I withdraw?

You're crazy.

What can be so bad about the place, that you are certain that you will be miserable there... based on one interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're crazy.

What can be so bad about the place, that you are certain that you will be miserable there... based on one interview day?

+1

If it was attending a school I hated vs. being a reapplicant with all the handicaps that gives your next application cycle, I would choose med school 11 times out of 10.

Sent from my Nexus 10

You can definitely withdraw. Is it a good choice? Tell me how you feel about rewriting your PS, getting your LORs sent in again, resubmitting your transcripts, rewriting your secondaries all over again, and hitting 'submit payment' twenty times, not knowing whether the thousands of dollars you're spending is actually going to garner an acceptance into med school.

At this point you've done everything you need to to potentially get an acceptance. Why don't you at least wait for their decision and then go from there? Then, if you do get accepted you can maybe revisit the school and decide from there if you want to withdraw. At that point you also might have a better idea if you'll be interviewing other places etc.

Will the place make you a physician?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most med schools will be miserable places to be for four years. It is their job to make you into the finest physician that you can be. They can't do that if it is all rainbows and unicorns. There is going to be some level of discomfort.

I don't know what you mean by it is not a good fit. Can you elaborate?

I can see if you are Jewish and the school is sponsored by the neo-nazis, or AA and the school is run by the KKK. But other than that... What is the problem.

The other school that I could see a problem with is a DO school in Florida. Not because it has a curriculum of PBL, or the prison-like security, or the draconian dress code, but because of all the creepy clown artwork in the hallways... However, I would have been able to live with it if I was accepted there.

If it is not life or death, I can put up with a lot of uncomfortable situations for the privelidge of becoming a physician. I have had a lot of crummy jobs in my life. Some of them will make sitting in a classroom for X hours a day seem like a walk in the park.

TL;DR I would not give up a sure seat this year for the possibility of a seat next year. It is your choice. Make it and live with it.

dsoz

I would definitely wait until that decision comes out. Maybe you'll get accepted, realize you just want to become a doctor, don't want to go through another cycle of applying...and adapt. Or maybe you'll get what you want, and maybe not be accepted and you'll feel relieved? Either way, just wait because your feelings might change based on the former decision.

Also, think about how much you'll kick yourself if you don't get an acceptance anywhere after reapplying next year... (it happens).

Wait for the final decision, then go to second look and possibly spend additional time looking around. Keep an open mind. No reason to jump ship 5 months before you have to decide. And as someone else put it: Bad med school >>>no med school.

What's so wrong with the school anyways?

At this point you've done everything you need to to potentially get an acceptance. Why don't you at least wait for their decision and then go from there? Then, if you do get accepted you can maybe revisit the school and decide from there if you want to withdraw. At that point you also might have a better idea if you'll be interviewing other places etc.

This. no need to jump the gun yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wouldn't do that. Med schools talk to each other. Putting out the idea that you're 'too good' for their school could have disastrous results. I've heard of people getting no acceptances when they reapplied, because the med schools didn't like that they turned down an acceptance at a good school.

You don't need permission from any of us despite how odd a decision most of us think it is...make an informed decision but you need to make the call

If u really don't like the school, then withdrawal. U only live once, why live miserably? If ur fine with waiting or reapplying, then do it. You have pretty good stats and if ur ECs are true, u shudnt have a problem getting a shot at mid to top tier schools if u apply early.

But are u sure about other schools not knowing if u withdrawl? I guess its better to withdraw now than withdraw after getting accepted if that will red flag u in future cycles.

Well, I think your reasons are legitimate enough if they are that important to you. Honestly, this entirely subjective. If you feel like you can go through another application cycle, then go for it. We have almost the exact same application and I'd kill for an acceptance anywhere, but I don't have a SO or dying grandparent to consider. Like I said, it's your situation and your choice.

Sounds like you should withdraw. On balance, I don't think it's a bad choice. It's entirely legitimate to withdraw from a school post-interview if you couldn't see yourself there on account of a bad fit. That's one of the reasons there are interviews in the first place.

As you say, make sure you withdraw before any admissions decision is rendered. I do think that the decision could become more complicated if you wait until after any future acceptance, plus it's the courteous thing to do.

It sounds like you know what you want to do already and thought about it =). I wish you the best of luck with the med school app process and I hope you can spend time with your grandparent.

Don't worry about SDN validation, lol we're just a bunch of strangers with little insight into people's personal situations sometimes

I think everyone knows what school you are talking about...and I would be very grateful for an acceptance there. Misery/Discomfort can breed success. That and you will not have time to think about your misery with your head in the books for 4 years. Those years will probably fly by.

I think you've already made your decision. I guess I can see why you'd rather say "I'm a re-applicant, I was never accepted" compared to "I was accepted and decided not to go."

Just know that there's a very real chance that you will not get into medical school again.

So my question is have anyone had experiences with withdrawing post-interview? The reason I am asking is if I have attended the only interview I have received so far this season, and realized during interview that I simply cannot see myself spending 4 years at this place. I felt like it is not a good fit for me at all and I am quite sure I will be miserable there. Should I withdraw?

Only withdraw if you would rather reapply than attend said school.

That said, directly responding to your initial question, yes, I had experience withdrawing post-interview/pre-acceptance.

My reasoning for withdrawing:
I did not like the school at all... Terrible interview day structure (sit in the meeting room waiting for 2+ hours for an interview -- wow what a great way to waste time). MOST unorganized lunch I have ever seen/heard about. Less than desirable location. Admissions Dean wasn't helpful during interview day and gave off an aura of arrogance. The morning "information session" was just a video played on a computer -- and a secretary to click "play" -- one that didn't know much about anything regarding the admissions process (she said so herself). Possibility that I would be required to PERMANENTLY move to the other side of the respective state for both 3rd/4th years (satellite campuses). As a whole, I would have lower-caliber classmates compared to other institutions (rather be surrounded by movers-and-shakers if I have a choice). Low "prestige" a la US News. Not a fan of 3rd year structure (very rigid, no electives). My interviewers were borderline confrontational and gave the impression that they were suspicious of my commitment to medicine. Little/no support for research endeavors. School's mission is kind of anachronistic.

It just was not good.

It felt wonderful withdrawing. When I called the secretary, she forwarded me to the Dean of Admissions (I guess that's their M.O.)... The Dean said, "Blais, you are aware that we haven't yet made a decision on your file? You would like to hear our decision before making any decisions yourself, wouldn't you?"

I replied with something like, "Yes, I am aware. However, the interview day leads me to firmly believe that your school is just not the right fit for me. I am certain that I wish to withdraw at this time."

Response: "*sigh* If that's what you want. I'm sorry you feel that way. I believe that we would have been an excellent match for you."

Loved it. :smuggrin:

Last edited: