Women Interview Attire - Dress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would this outfit be appropriate for an interview?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
D

deleted931910

All of my friends currently in medical school, including my top choice school, say that wearing a business professional dress is perfectly suitable. However, it seems like everyone on SDN is saying a pant suit or skirt suit with a blazer is mandatory for women. Personally, I don't feel very comfortable in a suit at all.

Can anyone offer their insight?

I was planning on wearing a dress similar to this one (in indigo) to my interviews. My dress however short sleeved (covers the shoulders) and also comes with a professional black waist belt with a small gold buckle. I was planning on wearing nude pantyhose and short black heels. No jewelry except for crystal earring studs.

Do you think this would be appropriate? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to echo OrthoTraumaMD so you have more of a consensus. It's fine to not wear the jacket/blazer outside of the interview (e.g. waiting to get called in, during lunch, etc.) but you absolutely must wear the jacket/blazer during your interviews. You don't know who you're going to get for an interviewer. You might end up with someone a little more conservative and you don't want them to have any subconsciously negative attitudes towards you. And make sure the heels are comfortable. You may end up in interviews that have a ridiculous amount of walking involved.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm linking back to a great thread here specifically for women's interview attire. I just read through it and agree 97% with the recommendations with just 3 tiny quibbles --
  • For shoes, I'd say heels up to about 4" are fine IF you're comfortable wearing heels and can walk in them all day. In my opinion, a low heel can often look frumpy with a skirt. (OK with pants though)
  • The article says black tights are OK. I'd allow black tights only with a black suit in winter; otherwise not. Sheer, nude-for-you pantyhose are the better option and always a safe choice.
  • For blouses, front button white oxford is OK, but not necessarily the best option. For curvier women, oxford tends to gap at the bustline. Also, pure white can wash out your complexion and is just plain boring. Choose a simple style blouse or shell in a plain color that isn't low cut or frilly, perhaps like the one a poster asks about in post #2.
  • Ooh - and not to forget the sheath dress and matching jacket @gyngyn mentions above. It's a great option that's very professional, very flattering and just different enough to help you stand out.
Great women's attire guidelines.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm linking back to a great thread here specifically for women's interview attire. I just read through it and agree 97% with the recommendations with just 3 tiny quibbles --
  • For shoes, I'd say heels up to about 4" are fine IF you're comfortable wearing heels and can walk in them all day. In my opinion, a low heel can often look frumpy with a skirt. (OK with pants though)
  • The article says black tights are OK. I'd allow black tights only with a black suit in winter; otherwise not. Sheer, nude-for-you pantyhose are the better option and always a safe choice.
  • For blouses, front button white oxford is OK, but not necessarily the best option. For curvier women, oxford tends to gap at the bustline. Also, pure white can wash out your complexion and is just plain boring. Choose a simple style blouse or shell in a plain color that isn't low cut or frilly, perhaps like the one a poster asks about in post #2.
  • Ooh - and not to forget the sheath dress and matching jacket @gyngyn mentions above. It's a great option that's very professional, very flattering and just different enough to help you stand out.
Great women's attire guidelines.
I take stronger stance against button front shirts on anyone who is not wearing a tie. Even without a bust, the collar just never looks right with nothing to hold it in place.
When looking directly ahead and standing straight in front of a mirror, everything may look fine. Interviewers are more likely to be sitting off to one side and you will be seated... This often results in TMI.

A scuba dress is never business professional!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
do these pants look okay for interview or too flared?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 5.24.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 5.24.43 PM.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 88
If you're going to wear a dress please do it in dark navy or black. You'll stand out if you do that emerald color and it might make you feel uncomfortable.

I have yet to see a woman in a dress on the interview trail but there's nothing against it.